Coaches wasting players talents??

Hurricane4lyfe

recruit
The announcers at the buffalo vs n. Illinois brought up a good topic how some coaches needs to adjust to their players talents..?? what was very interesting was the topic about Denard Robinson how Brady hoke ruined his talents as a dual threat?? Thoughts

Advertisement
There are a lot of crappy coaches out there. Remember Coker refusing to use Berlin out of the gun, with his quote being something like "that's not what we do here." Same with Golden, Enos, they will square peg/round hole until they die.

The best ones can both formulate a system based on what they have, and then strategize based on what the opponent has.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The announcers at the buffalo vs n. Illinois brought up a good topic how some coaches needs to adjust to their players talents..?? what was very interesting was the topic about Denard Robinson how Brady hoke ruined his talents as a dual threat?? Thoughts
Ummm..Shoelace best decision was to go to Michigan with Rich Rodriquez to get a shot to play in a system that would allow him to play QB. He was NEVER A RB. That’s where he was ruined in the League. His other money position could’ve been DB which a lot of schools wanted him to switch too. The only other school that was gunna give him a fair shot at QB was urban Myer and UF.,not sure what the context of that announcers comment was but Mich/Rod/Hoke did not waste his talents at all

Advertisement
Look at his senior year stats:

YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
2009MichiganBig TenFRQB12143145.21886.11.52491.6
*2010MichiganBig TenSOQB1318229162.525708.88.41811149.6
*2011MichiganBig TenJRQB1314225855.021738.47.42015139.7
*2012MichiganBig TenSRQB118916753.313197.96.699126

Huge drop off that last year.
Pretty sure the point of this thread was coaches not utilizing players to their strengths. Denard Robinson might literally me the worst example of this because his strength was as a runner, not a passer. He rushed for nearly 4,500 yards and was responsible for 90+ TDs at Michigan. He was utilized exactly as he should have been.

Denard Robinson is all time Michigan leader in total offense. How exactly was he 'ruined'?
Some people simply use crappy analogies to illustrate good points. Berlin was a pretty crappy one too considering we were one game away from playing for another national championship

Advertisement
Ruined Robinson's talents how?

He was a RB asked to play QB.

No he wasn't a RB he was a QB, and he clearly showed that at Deerfield Beach. His team put on a show vs. Miami Northwestern... Only to follow up and go crazy for Michigan. He was a Dual Threat QB. What he couldn't do was play Runningback, and never in his life until that point did he ever play the position. Cornerback should've been the next option.

Advertisement
Most coaches recruit players to fit their system. Where they fail at times is when you get a player that maybe your analysis maybe missed something about that player, they still try and push them in a particular position where they aren't ready for. Then you have some that can stretch across many positions like Simmons did at Clemson. I think you need to give players an opportunity to shine at multiple positions if they have proven they can handle it, like Malik Curtis. Yea we maybe recruiting him as a corner but dang that boy is explosive on offense. He is sounding more like Shields and Hester.

Ummm..Shoelace best decision was to go to Michigan with Rich Rodriquez to get a shot to play in a system that would allow him to play QB. He was NEVER A RB. That’s where he was ruined in the League. His other money position could’ve been DB which a lot of schools wanted him to switch too. The only other school that was gunna give him a fair shot at QB was urban Myer and UF.,not sure what the context of that announcers comment was but Mich/Rod/Hoke did not waste his talents at all

I agree. I don’t see how his talents were ruined. He was never the tall prototypical NFL ready QB like Justin Fields.

Top notch college QB with an average passing game. Somewhat of a drop off his senior season in passing stats, but I think that may have been the injury that was previously mentioned.

Nonetheless, a dynamic college player. An electric player to watch.

Sometimes we should just appreciate players for what they do in college, rather than what they project to in the NFL.

As far as other positions, I think he was projected at either DB or WR at the next level. Can’t remember whatever happened to him

Some people simply use crappy analogies to illustrate good points. Berlin was a pretty crappy one too considering we were one game away from playing for another national championship
2004 Berlin with 2003 defense we win another national title. Outside of the Ufag comeback game the defense was lights out the entire year. Berlin sucked most of that season.

I dunno about ruined his talents as a dual threat but I remember them hurrying him back from injury in the cornholers game and he never looked quite right.

The announcer said the coach Brady hoke changed to prostyle offense and got away from spread offense I don't know I haven't watched Michigan back then that much.

Advertisement
Back