Coaches on the rise

Yeah ... EVERYBODY wanted the UNC job after he was fired!

LOL

Some of y'all think of Butch Davis the way my 5 year old thinks of Santa Claus ...

I think Butch Davis is available. Went pretty well the last time he was in charge...

Go Canes!

It just makes too much sense to bring in a guy like Butch with his experience, burning desire to make up for what he considers a mistake, and willingness to probably work cheaper than Folden.

Like many of our fan base, our BOT is too butt hurt over the past situation to recognize the above factors faaaar outweigh any risk. If your not going to go big and hire a big name...hire Butch short term and try and get this demolished train back on track.

UM

Can you imagine who would want to come after Butch re-stocked the shelves?! People would be kicking down the door begging to be that guy. Thank you for the MacLaren Super Car. Off to another NC.

Go Canes!

Massive NCAA investigation had nothing to do with people being scared of the North Carolina job?

Does your 5 year old believe that Santa is a phenomenal football coach? Then you my friend have a very wise 5 year old.

I don't understand how some posters think so little of what he accomplished here. Results don't lie. His cloud was a C5 and he overcame it and built the best team college football has ever known. Recognize!

Go Canes!

Advertisement
This is the part of the fire argument that no one puts serious thought into. You cant fire without a hire. The hiring part is as big of a problem as anything else around here.

Anyone who says butch is a candidate is either drunk or just plain stupid. There is no way this administration brings in someone who just got fired for NCAA issues or anyone who has ever had NCAA issues. If you don't believe that's true you don't know the current state of Miami football. So please educate yourself.

Also this school does not have the money allocated for football to go after a proven coach who will have multiple big school options on their plate. We will simply get outbid. At one time you may get someone like that simply because they knew they could win here and use it as a stepping stone into the NFL but those days are gone. Taking on Al's contract will also make them want a low ball up and comer coach that has the best interview skills.

A new hire means a new everything including blowing up the recruiting classes unless its a name SFL kids can identify with. This pipe dream about getting the next Gruden in here is unrealistic.

Al does one thing good that should be good enough to win here and thats recruit hard. The problem is that he seems to be clueless with the actual X and Os. I personally think the best thing for this program is to force Al to hire new coordinators that you pay well and you need to really be careful with what you do with Cooley because that could ruin our classes. Cooley has gained a lot of recruiting ground and connects down here with this job and Saban would hire him in a second if we dropped him.

I am not a fan of Al's but I don't think the administration has the ability or wherewithal to get a game changer in here and if we just fire Al we will be back here in 4-5 more years saying the same thing about Mario except that he will not recruit as hard as Al.

The truth is that there is no easy button here anymore and the while firing Al may be inevitable it doesn't mean that any of our problems will be solved. I think hire (this DC or OC) banners would be better served.

I always liked Strong b/c he is a top notch recruiter and good DC, but give ME LEACH b/c I want this team to have an identity and I don't give f**k about your team attitude.

This is the part of the fire argument that no one puts serious thought into. You cant fire without a hire. The hiring part is as big of a problem as anything else around here.

Anyone who says butch is a candidate is either drunk or just plain stupid. There is no way this administration brings in someone who just got fired for NCAA issues or anyone who has ever had NCAA issues. If you don't believe that's true you don't know the current state of Miami football. So please educate yourself.

Also this school does not have the money allocated for football to go after a proven coach who will have multiple big school options on their plate. We will simply get outbid. At one time you may get someone like that simply because they knew they could win here and use it as a stepping stone into the NFL but those days are gone. Taking on Al's contract will also make them want a low ball up and comer coach that has the best interview skills.

A new hire means a new everything including blowing up the recruiting classes unless its a name SFL kids can identify with. This pipe dream about getting the next Gruden in here is unrealistic.

Al does one thing good that should be good enough to win here and thats recruit hard. The problem is that he seems to be clueless with the actual X and Os. I personally think the best thing for this program is to force Al to hire new coordinators that you pay well and you need to really be careful with what you do with Cooley because that could ruin our classes. Cooley has gained a lot of recruiting ground and connects down here with this job and Saban would hire him in a second if we dropped him.

I am not a fan of Al's but I don't think the administration has the ability or wherewithal to get a game changer in here and if we just fire Al we will be back here in 4-5 more years saying the same thing about Mario except that he will not recruit as hard as Al.

The truth is that there is no easy button here anymore and the while firing Al may be inevitable it doesn't mean that any of our problems will be solved. I think hire (this DC or OC) banners would be better served.

You completely missed the point regarding Butch. The argument is that NCAA issues had been happening at UNC since 2000 and primarily with the basketball team. You need to rethink your evaluation of that.

As far as the money is concerned, there's a huge difference between not having the money and not spending the money. We can pay top dollar but don't.

Advertisement

You completely missed the point regarding Butch. The argument is that NCAA issues had been happening at UNC since 2000 and primarily with the basketball team. You need to rethink your evaluation of that.

As far as the money is concerned, there's a huge difference between not having the money and not spending the money. We can pay top dollar but don't.

Tread lightly, you're dealing with a Potato.

So are you saying that the admin would consider Butch "clean" regarding his UNC days? I just think, based on their history, that they wouldn't even want to come close to touching ANYTHING remotely close to a violation...they're just too gunshy. The mainstream media would have a field day with it. I figure our admin considers themselves smart enough to find someone better than Golden without having to reach back to try and find old glory. They're too arrogant for that. Even if they know Butch would mean football success.

So are you saying that the admin would consider Butch "clean" regarding his UNC days? I just think, based on their history, that they wouldn't even want to come close to touching ANYTHING remotely close to a violation...they're just too gunshy. The mainstream media would have a field day with it. I figure our admin considers themselves smart enough to find someone better than Golden without having to reach back to try and find old glory. They're too arrogant for that. Even if they know Butch would mean football success.

Please enlighten us as to what "violations" Butch would bring? He was CLEARED of all involvement by the NCAA and the state. Nice try, though.

Advertisement

No but to act like he's considered some NCAA renegade that runs around breaking rules left and right is inaccurate.

Your argument that the administration would be gun shy based on certain factors is pretty fair. Butch didn't commit violations but he was close enough to the issue to scare people off. No argument here and I think that media portrayal would really scare the school. They would more than likely look for a current replacement rather than a seasoned veteran like Butch but he has his supporters at the school and within the fanbase. The best thing he'd have going for him is that he's the only option with a surefire record of success rather than just hope.

Please enlighten us as to what "violations" Butch would bring? He was CLEARED of all involvement by the NCAA and the state. Nice try, though.

Oh you say that you really didnt touch that child in an inappropriate way and the courts let you off without a charge? Oh ok, then the baby sitter job is yours.

Alright dude... He didnt have students under his watch taking classes that they didnt even have to show up for or do any work and he does not have clue?

You do realize that setting up an interview does not follow the same rules as a court of law right?

This institution is likely about as gun shy as you can be and they likely blame much of the recent program failures on NCAA troubles.

They will want someone who is proactive and has never even been associated with a major scandal.

You can sit here aand cry "you cant proof nothing", but why you think this administration would use that logic over "lets make sure we have no one that has ever been associated with NCAA issues" says a lot about how realistic you are about the state of Miami.

Butch aint coming here, he couldnt get into that interview room with a shot gun.

Oh you say that you really didnt touch that child in an inappropriate way and the courts let you off without a charge? Oh ok, then the baby sitter job is yours.

Alright dude... He didnt have students under his watch taking classes that they didnt even have to show up for or do any work and he does not have clue?

You do realize that setting up an interview does not follow the same rules as a court of law right?

This institution is likely about as gun shy as you can be and they likely blame much of the recent program failures on NCAA troubles.

They will want someone who is proactive and has never even been associated with a major scandal.

You can sit here aand cry "you cant proof nothing", but why you think this administration would use that logic over "lets make sure we have no one that has ever been associated with NCAA issues" says a lot about how realistic you are about the state of Miami.

Butch aint coming here, he couldnt get into that interview room with a shot gun.

You're missing the point again, dude. And your analogy of pedophilia is stupid and misleading.

There's a difference between infractions happening under him and him being responsible for the infractions. Randy Shannon told everyone and anyone to stay away from Nevin Shapiro. Infractions still happened on his watch. He didn't perpetrate them but guilt by association is attached but guilt by association is a lot easier to overlook than being flat out guilty ala Larry Brown.

You're the one crying that Butch is a surefire no chance when he has strong supporters on the board and that goes a long way. It's not nearly as a done deal that you think it is. Does he get an interview? I don't know. Maybe. But it's not for certain that he won't get one like you apparently think it is.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back