Coaches blaming the fans, again

Problem2

All-American
Premium
But...

It’s part of the rhythmic nature of sports: Time heals the hurt of a disappointing season; hope builds as the next one approaches. But much of the optimism has been drained from this University of Miami fan base, replaced by an atmosphere so full of anger that players and the head coach have begun to speak out about it.

Every week, there’s a new symbol of discontentment: from prominent former players calling for a coaching change, to Duke Johnson’s mother asserting half the team would transfer if it could, to a “fire Al Golden” sign popping up behind ESPN's set at the College Football Playoff, much like the one removed from Bank United Center during a UM basketball game.

Then four-star UM oral commitment Mark Walton announced negativity is hurting UM's recruiting efforts.

Then a Canes fan paid for a banner to fly over AT&T Stadium before Monday’s championship game in Arlington, Texas, saying: “The U Part 3: [president Donna] Shalala/BOT [Board of Trustees] killed Miami football.”

And this, too, was telling: Michael Irvin said people can’t blame his nephew, four-star safety Tim Irvin, for committing to Texas because Tim Irvin “lives in Miami and hears how players are killing the coach.” (Irvin flipped to Auburn on Sunday.)

The negativity is wearing on people in the program. One UM coach who requested anonymity said it’s having a corrosive effect.

Golden said he’s aware of it but that commenting on the impact of it would do him no good. But he told canesport.com: “People are flat out cruel. I feel bad for the seniors. They got tired of it.”

That appears to be the case.

“It’s surprising and it’s hurtful,” departing linebacker Denzel Perryman said of fan anger in recent months.

Brad Kaaya said he didn’t expect this much negativity when he came here. Nor did he expect to be 6-7, presumably.

“We’re aware of it; it’s a tough environment, a small demographic that’s really vocal,” Kaaya said last month. “Some people can turn on you at any moment. For the last couple months, I’ve gotten all kinds of crazy stuff tweeted to me.

“I don’t look at it, and most guys ignore it because it gets in your head, especially a lot of the negative stuff, and will make you play bad. [My message] is we’re going to turn this around. I didn’t come here to be mediocre.”

His mother, Angela Means Kaaya, has become the voice of optimism on social media, railing against the negativity on Twitter.

Departing center Shane McDermott said some fan behavior --- including posting Golden’s home address on a web site --- has been “a little extreme, what they’ve been doing. But we need to perform better. I feel bad for coach Golden because he works his butt off.”

But Phillip Dorsett said the reason this team keeps losing is obvious to him: “When a play is called, everybody has to do their job. You can’t have one player doing their own thing when everybody else is doing what they’re supposed to do. There’s always something.”

Perryman blames "guys freelancing" for the underachieving.

Whereas Johnson’s mother says “kids are tired of this crap,” Duke Johnson says: “I wouldn’t say it’s all coach Golden’s fault. I wouldn’t put it all on him.” He said UM fans need to “relax.”

But Johnson’s mother is not alone in her concerns. Among complaints raised by several parents during conversations in recent weeks: lack of halftime adjustments; the defense playing too much soft zone; the read-and-react defensive philosophy; players being misused; defensive players being asked to learn too much (“the system is too sophisticated for a lot of these kids,” one said).

Offensive line coach Art Kehoe has a unique perspective because he was an assistant on all five championship teams. He has seen championship-caliber coaching up close.

“I don’t want to be an eternal optimist because we definitely have problems we’ve got to solve,” Kehoe said last month. “We have to get better in the red zone. That hurt us in the Pittsburgh game. We have to get better in short yardage. We have to get a little bit tougher up front in the o-line. None of offense, defense or special teams is up to standards of Hurricanes fans….

“We haven’t been where we should be in probably a decade in terms of BCS, top 10, top 20, winning the ACC, being in the national title picture.”

But, Kehoe said: “I’ve been with Howard Schnellenberger and Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson and Butch Davis and Larry Coker and they all have their pluses and minuses. I look at this guy [Golden] and he’s relentless and he’s a winner. People need to understand, whether we run out of time or not, what he’s doing is right.

“I want to see it come to fruition because he’s a good man, a good leader, a superb coach. I know, in my heart and soul, we’re going to win. I may be proven wrong, but I don’t think so. I think we’re going to win big.”

So where does the optimism come from, beyond his faith in Golden?

“Al knows we have a potential All-American quarterback,” Kehoe said. “Just he alone is going to make us take a jump next year. [Kaaya] has got that ‘it’ factor. He’s just so cool to me. He’s not full of himself --- just a determined, purposeful cool dude. He’s got California swagger, kind of like being a John Wayne type. He’s not trying to be cool. He’s just cool. Our players look up to him and like him.”

Former UM All-American center Brett Romberg said Kehoe called him and former UM offensive lineman Joaquin Gonzalez to chew them out in October after they publicly criticized the coaching staff.

"They’re entitled to their opinion,” Kehoe said. “I love Joaquin and Brett. We talked. They’re two of the best players I ever coached, two great leaders. I just wanted to tell them… we’re addressing every single thing we can, whether it’s the way we practice, the way we plan. We’re visiting pro football teams [the Dallas Cowboys] and college teams, getting ideas. This guy [Golden] exhausts every avenue of trying to be better.”

Kehoe insists he has no issue with ex-players voicing complaints.

But with every setback, the swirl of negativity ratchets up.

“Al talks about ignoring the noise to our players all the time,” Kehoe said. “If anyone is going to ignore the noise, he is. He’s a master at it.”

But Golden’s fully aware of it, telling Canesport that “everyone is too busy *****ing to accept the progress that has been made.”

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy

Golden exhausts every avenue to get better except for you know, changing things up after a 6-7 season. **** you too Kehoe.

Last edited:
Advertisement
But...

It’s part of the rhythmic nature of sports: Time heals the hurt of a disappointing season; hope builds as the next one approaches. But much of the optimism has been drained from this University of Miami fan base, replaced by an atmosphere so full of anger that players and the head coach have begun to speak out about it.

Every week, there’s a new symbol of discontentment: from prominent former players calling for a coaching change, to Duke Johnson’s mother asserting half the team would transfer if it could, to a “fire Al Golden” sign popping up behind ESPN's set at the College Football Playoff, much like the one removed from Bank United Center during a UM basketball game.

Then four-star UM oral commitment Mark Walton announced negativity is hurting UM's recruiting efforts.

Then a Canes fan paid for a banner to fly over AT&T Stadium before Monday’s championship game in Arlington, Texas, saying: “The U Part 3: [president Donna] Shalala/BOT [Board of Trustees] killed Miami football.”

And this, too, was telling: Michael Irvin said people can’t blame his nephew, four-star safety Tim Irvin, for committing to Texas because Tim Irvin “lives in Miami and hears how players are killing the coach.” (Irvin flipped to Auburn on Sunday.)

The negativity is wearing on people in the program. One UM coach who requested anonymity said it’s having a corrosive effect.

Golden said he’s aware of it but that commenting on the impact of it would do him no good. But he told canesport.com: “People are flat out cruel. I feel bad for the seniors. They got tired of it.”

That appears to be the case.

“It’s surprising and it’s hurtful,” departing linebacker Denzel Perryman said of fan anger in recent months.

Brad Kaaya said he didn’t expect this much negativity when he came here. Nor did he expect to be 6-7, presumably.

“We’re aware of it; it’s a tough environment, a small demographic that’s really vocal,” Kaaya said last month. “Some people can turn on you at any moment. For the last couple months, I’ve gotten all kinds of crazy stuff tweeted to me.

“I don’t look at it, and most guys ignore it because it gets in your head, especially a lot of the negative stuff, and will make you play bad. [My message] is we’re going to turn this around. I didn’t come here to be mediocre.”

His mother, Angela Means Kaaya, has become the voice of optimism on social media, railing against the negativity on Twitter.

Departing center Shane McDermott said some fan behavior --- including posting Golden’s home address on a web site --- has been “a little extreme, what they’ve been doing. But we need to perform better. I feel bad for coach Golden because he works his butt off.”

But Phillip Dorsett said the reason this team keeps losing is obvious to him: “When a play is called, everybody has to do their job. You can’t have one player doing their own thing when everybody else is doing what they’re supposed to do. There’s always something.”

Perryman blames "guys freelancing" for the underachieving.

Whereas Johnson’s mother says “kids are tired of this crap,” Duke Johnson says: “I wouldn’t say it’s all coach Golden’s fault. I wouldn’t put it all on him.” He said UM fans need to “relax.”

But Johnson’s mother is not alone in her concerns. Among complaints raised by several parents during conversations in recent weeks: lack of halftime adjustments; the defense playing too much soft zone; the read-and-react defensive philosophy; players being misused; defensive players being asked to learn too much (“the system is too sophisticated for a lot of these kids,” one said).

Offensive line coach Art Kehoe has a unique perspective because he was an assistant on all five championship teams. He has seen championship-caliber coaching up close.

“I don’t want to be an eternal optimist because we definitely have problems we’ve got to solve,” Kehoe said last month. “We have to get better in the red zone. That hurt us in the Pittsburgh game. We have to get better in short yardage. We have to get a little bit tougher up front in the o-line. None of offense, defense or special teams is up to standards of Hurricanes fans….

“We haven’t been where we should be in probably a decade in terms of BCS, top 10, top 20, winning the ACC, being in the national title picture.”

But, Kehoe said: “I’ve been with Howard Schnellenberger and Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson and Butch Davis and Larry Coker and they all have their pluses and minuses. I look at this guy [Golden] and he’s relentless and he’s a winner. People need to understand, whether we run out of time or not, what he’s doing is right.

“I want to see it come to fruition because he’s a good man, a good leader, a superb coach. I know, in my heart and soul, we’re going to win. I may be proven wrong, but I don’t think so. I think we’re going to win big.”

So where does the optimism come from, beyond his faith in Golden?

“Al knows we have a potential All-American quarterback,” Kehoe said. “Just he alone is going to make us take a jump next year. [Kaaya] has got that ‘it’ factor. He’s just so cool to me. He’s not full of himself --- just a determined, purposeful cool dude. He’s got California swagger, kind of like being a John Wayne type. He’s not trying to be cool. He’s just cool. Our players look up to him and like him.”

Former UM All-American center Brett Romberg said Kehoe called him and former UM offensive lineman Joaquin Gonzalez to chew them out in October after they publicly criticized the coaching staff.

"They’re entitled to their opinion,” Kehoe said. “I love Joaquin and Brett. We talked. They’re two of the best players I ever coached, two great leaders. I just wanted to tell them… we’re addressing every single thing we can, whether it’s the way we practice, the way we plan. We’re visiting pro football teams [the Dallas Cowboys] and college teams, getting ideas. This guy [Golden] exhausts every avenue of trying to be better.”

Kehoe insists he has no issue with ex-players voicing complaints.

But with every setback, the swirl of negativity ratchets up.

“Al talks about ignoring the noise to our players all the time,” Kehoe said. “If anyone is going to ignore the noise, he is. He’s a master at it.”

But Golden’s fully aware of it, telling Canesport that “everyone is too busy *****ing to accept the progress that has been made.”

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy

If Jackson had any balls or at least some natural instincts he would ask Kehoe where is the proof that Golden is a "winner". What evidence does he have of that?

"WAH WAH WAH!!!! THE FANS ARE BIG MEANIES AND DOO DOO HEADS!"

FVCK YOU! Don't go 6-7 in your 4th season if you can't handle the fallout. Big time college football ain't for the faint of heart.

Seems like pop warner is more Folden's speed.

Doesn't matter. Al Golden has been exposed to every program, high school school coach and majority of board. He is watching the timer tick on the bomb strapped to him.

Advertisement
**** this staff...if the people in power really cared...they would fire this dumb ***. but they dont so they mad everyone else is not buying their ****

Geez, this guy is trying to be so manipulative.

The thing he can't shake is his record, no matter how hard he tries to blame others.

If only we played cream puffs at home every week during the day. It's all those darn night games against teams with a pulse on the road. Or in the case of the Pitt game, a team of jags at night.

I look at this guy [Golden] and he’s relentless and he’s a winner.

HiddenWindyDachshund.gif

Advertisement
Notice how none of the kids that were not committed prior to this visit gave us a commitment this weekend.

We are to busy bi1ching to see the progress
We will not be able to see the changes either
Hot dam, we have an illusion running our football team, we can't see a dam thing

What is the logic behind the full court press aggressive alienation of the fanbase? What a bunch of selfish ******** coaching this team. Loyalty isn't to the person, it's to the program, and players. Yeah, some tards tweeting players happens at every program. The **** said about Driskell on twitter was unreal. But to the point, if you're the leaders of young men and you're not doing your job, expect to be held accountable.

2014 is the Era of Unaccountability, to coin a phrase. In leadership positions across america, from DC to a freaking private university's football program. Still, going after a vocal fanbase is hilarious.

Advertisement
Golden is not going anywhere until Miami decides it's time for him to go. Be a fan not a rabid fanatic. People are starting to lose a sense of reality. In fact, this movement may unite everyone of importance at UM into one camp and actually extend Golden's tenure here.

Golden is not going anywhere until Miami decides it's time for him to go. Be a fan not a rabid fanatic. People are starting to lose a sense of reality. In fact, this movement may unite everyone of importance at UM into one camp and actually extend Golden's tenure here.

Case in point. Asking for accountability is fanaticism? The entire concept of "accountable" is lost anymore.

Advertisement
“Al talks about ignoring the noise to our players all the time,” Kehoe said. “If anyone is going to ignore the noise, he is. He’s a master at it.

No ****. The only thing the guy cares about is getting that paycheck.

please I'm still waiting for proof of progress....still waiting for proof that al golden is a winner in anything....

Oh so all this time it really was the fans' fault that the team is under performing!

Silly us. Pack up the banners. Lock Will in the basement until after basketball season. It's the only way that this football team can win.

Advertisement
Back