Coaches Association asks NCAA to address players faking injuries

FIU's 3 best defenders:
sanford and son GIF

family guy knee injury GIF

tumblr_m8ocqaF09c1rdry57o1_500.jpg

Advertisement
What is Butch going to do?

"The American Football Coaches Association has asked the NCAA rules committee to take up the issue of players faking injuries when it meets next month.

The AFCA Ethics Committee voted in January to recommend that the NCAA rules committee address the practice, which has caused tension within the sport for years. Rather than use a timeout, defensive players will often fake an injury in order to stop the clock and slow the momentum of the opposing offense.

"Our Ethics Committee, which suggests rules changes to the NCAA, said by unanimous consent that this has got to stop," said AFCA Executive Director Todd Berry. "So they asked the Rules Committee to do something about it. It's bad for football."

Ahh...the Butch Davis rule.

"Ethics Committee"

What about raping kids in the shower, or encouraging sexual assault in the locker room (Michigan) and on the field (Clemson)?

What about paying for recruits?

Covering for the players in criminal cases and academic integrity?

Injury flopping is the top of their list. Great.

Advertisement
Was Todd Berry at Miami back awhile as a QB coach or something or am I confusing him with some one else?

You are correct. He was Coker's buddy that Coker tried to hire as OC, but Dee vetoed it, so we rehired Rich Olson instead. Berry came aboard as QB coach, and the season went to 7-6 ****.

How’s it gone since then? At Miami.
Since Buttch left Miami in 2000, the Canes have gone 164-88, while Buttch has gone 59-79 in college and the pros. As bad as we've been at Miami this century, it's gone worse for poor ol' Buttch. A 65% winning percentage looks a lot better than a 42% any day of the week.

GO CANES!!

Last edited:
Since Buttch left Miami in 2000, the Canes have gone 164-88, while Buttch has gone 59-79 in college and the pros. As bad as we've been at Miami this century, it's gone worse for poor ol' Buttch. A 65% winning percentage looks a lot better than a 42% any day of the week.

GO CANES!!
4-2

Advertisement
"Ethics Committee"

What about raping kids in the shower, or encouraging sexual assault in the locker room (Michigan) and on the field (Clemson)?

What about paying for recruits?

Covering for the players in criminal cases and academic integrity?

Injury flopping is the top of their list. Great.
It’s the rules committee. Their focus is on in game rules. I wouldn’t hold my breath when it comes to paying recruits or covering up criminal cases.

Advertisement
I like the idea of sitting out 4-5 plays. It gives the doctors enough time to thoroughly check out a player as the worst part is seeing a player flop around like he’s been snipered in the leg and then sprinting back out there the very next play. Teams will still do it but it could help lessen the problem. If an uptempo team is driving and a DT needs a breather, why wouldn’t he go down instead of getting off the field?

People make too much out of this. Make the kid sit out 2 plays - the one immediately after the injury delay + the next one. That's enough. If the ref thinks it's faked, throw an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty flag.

Advertisement
I don't think sitting out 'x' number of plays would help.

You just bring out your third string walk-on when the play is over and injure himself on the way to the field.

I'm an idiot truck driver and *I* thought of that in five seconds.

FWIW, I hate the flopping too.

Maybe the first one in a quarter, no penalty. Every one after that, you get charged with a TO, and if there are no more TO's, you add one to the opposing players team, or a five yard delay of game penalty.

Just do something similar to the NFL.... inside 2 minutes remaining in the half, you are charged a timeout, or if no timeouts left, a 15 yard penalty is assessed against the defense or a 10 second runoff against the offense.

Tom Osborne stopped coaching in 97 only three years before Butch dipped and actually won multiple titles as the head coach. You think Nebraska fans still bring him up on their message board as much as Miami fans bring up a guy who in his entire coaching career is 2-13 against his biggest in-state rivals? And if he hadn't seen UF in a bowl game would just be 1-13 in the in-state conference rivalry game. Going 0fer against the likes of Tom O'Brien, Lane Kiffin and now Willie Taggart. Imagine sucking his D and harping on the fact that he beat the school you root for. Weirdos

Just do something similar to the NFL.... inside 2 minutes remaining in the half, you are charged a timeout, or if no timeouts left, a 15 yard penalty is assessed against the defense or a 10 second runoff against the offense.
And if not inside 2 minutes?

Advertisement
Back