Coach Speak: Brown says Williams is "fine", details Gray's progress

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
A move to fullback can signal the beginning of the end of a running back’s college career. Although many counted him out after the switch, Trayone Gray has been one of the hardest workers in fall camp and had a big first scrimmage. He was rewarded by offensive coordinator Thomas Brown with a move back to the running back depth chart, and Gray now sits in the #3 role behind Travis Homer and DeeJay Dallas. After Tuesday's practice, Brown updated Gray's progress.

“I’m so proud of that dude. I said it yesterday at [Media Day], his development not just as a player, but as a person – what he’s done off the field, being more responsible, being accountable,” Brown said on Gray. “He has always been a very talented guy – super fast, straight ahead [runner], very strong. He’s limited some east and west [running]-wise, but we kind of work around that. But his maturity level has come along so fast this past spring and summer. I’m really excited about what he’s doing.”

Now, Gray is repping both at fullback and running back in practice and Brown sees himself using Gray in multiple roles during the season.

“He knows both right now,” Brown said. “We give him reps of both at practice, at fullback and tailback. He knows both and he’ll play both for us.”

What is the value in having a guy like Gray that Brown feels is versatile enough to play both backfield roles?

“I think it’s huge,” Brown said. “Obviously you have a guy who has played some - not a whole lot throughout his career, but at least has been around the program and been in our system. He knows what we kind of expect from a coaching staff standpoint. The effort every single day, the accountability every single day, is huge to have in that room – especially when you have new guys who just got here with Cam [Davis], Lorenzo [Lingard] and Realus [George].

“The more guys we have in that room who can help lead those guys when I’m not around, the better off we’ll be. So I think the fact that he was not hesitant to move when I asked him to move, didn’t have an attitude about it, he just accepted his role, embraced his role and kept working at it, and now he’s back in the mix at tailback.”

True freshman QB Jarren Williams was a limited participant in practice today with an undisclosed injury, but Brown declined to offer much information when asked about the specifics of the injury, other than to say he believes the injury is minor.

“That’s a question for the head coach,” Brown said. “But he’s fine.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Good to hear D Jax and Jarren are fine. Hopefully there aren’t anymore serious injuries for the rest of camp.

Advertisement
He really is a weapon. Without experienced TEs, I want to see a lot of Choc im motion, even if it’s to fill a blocking hole. If anyone on the defense cheats, you can always option a handoff or pass to him.

Hope we use him right as a full back this year. It’s a position that is rarely used in college and very rare in the NFL anymore. But all of the ones that remain in the league are good pass catchers out of the backfield. Choc could have a legit chance there in the league to do just that if the primary full back duties are on par.

As a 49ers fan I know we just paid big bucks last year for a full back that’s got that skill set. Also an elite road grader but he’s deadly catching passes in terms of the position

Advertisement
The legend of Choc Gray lives on!

I'll never forget how much we were hyping him up once he finally got in and enrolled.

He then proceeds to rush for a TD on the very first carry of his career! I was like **** that's why we hyped him up.

Obviously, he hasn't accomplished much here but I think he'll show up BIG this year in a key spot to cement his legendary status

Advertisement
I'll never forget how much we were hyping him up once he finally got in and enrolled.

He then proceeds to rush for a TD on the very first carry of his career! I was like **** that's why we hyped him up.

Obviously, he hasn't accomplished much here but I think he'll show up BIG this year in a key spot to cement his legendary status

Yep, I also recall the hype and first carry TD. I seem to recall it was close as to whether he would qualify.
Also hope he does well. Always thought he had some skills.
For him to get both bigger AND faster is impressive.

Yep, I also recall the hype and first carry TD. I seem to recall it was close as to whether he would qualify.
Also hope he does well. Always thought he had some skills.
For him to get both bigger AND faster is impressive.

Never forget how this kid became a CANE, he had no chance from school, but he did and cried with tears of accomplishment when he got in the class. The fact that he has grown up and matured as a person is a testament to the kid and the U. Now he needs to show that same determination and leadership on the field. I pulling hard for Choc. This is a kid who has a story and should become an ambassador for the program.

Hearing that Choc will play both RB and FB, brings Najeh Davenport to mind. How do the 2 compare?
Butch Davis said before he got hurt, Davenport was the most talented RB on the team. This was a team of Edgerrin James, James Jackson, & Clinton Portis. Maybe Quadtrine Hill, another great versatile FB who was a great RB in his own right.

Extremely strong well over 400 in the bench and nearing 500 in the squat. Has the ability to take on LBs in blocks and has receiving skills being a former HS WR..
He was a HS QB at Carol City. Would've been a productive MEAC QB had he chose to go that route.

Advertisement
Back