Coach Soldinger called it

Advertisement
And at the time he was hired - it was truly a basketball school - and the year before he was hired - they won three games.

More numbers - nothing in context.

I know - it's faster, and you don't have to think or analyze - or figure anything out.

It was actually four games. They won three games two years before he got there.

That’s right. He inherited a roster that was 7-17 the two seasons before he arrived.

An acc cellar dwelling dumpster fire.

He isn’t like Saban and Meyer who cherry pick talented teams with bad cultures and unlimited resources that just a need a good coach.

He rebuilt disasters from the ground up. Unc scapegoated him for the academic scandal, luckily for us. He was stacking chips and about to hit stride when the suspensions and distractions came.

I know he had rough games learning on the job rebuilding Miami.

I know people were ****ed he left.

Still, the Butch hate is confusing to say the least.

Advertisement
Thats BS.....UM tryed to F him on his Buyout among other things...Dont repeat Garbage that you heard, when its a bunch of BS....
ROTFLMFAO at the Administration couldn't do nothing to keep him....thats such BS...I honestly dont know where to start...
U realize you're arguing with the same guy who said sarge was average and Devin underachieved... believe I also read he thinks butch was trash. Why argue with that.

Really don't understand the Butch Davis hate. People harping about his age yet he's only a year older than Mack Brown and a year younger than Saban. That age angle is useless and you detractors pretend he didn't build the goat college team and opt to treat dude like he's ever accomplished anything when he could out coach you guys on your best day in his sleep. Then, you expect magic from him at fiu like recruits are going to go there. This is Manny's first season so I'll be realistic and give him some time. But as far as Davis goes hate all you want you his track record speaks for itself. You guys long for the glory days yet act like he had nothing to do with them.

Really don't understand the Butch Davis hate. People harping about his age yet he's only a year older than Mack Brown and a year younger than Saban. That age angle is useless and you detractors pretend he didn't build the goat college team and opt to treat dude like he's ever accomplished anything when he could out coach you guys on your best day in his sleep. Then, you expect magic from him at fiu like recruits are going to go there. This is Manny's first season so I'll be realistic and give him some time. But as far as Davis goes hate all you want you his track record speaks for itself. You guys long for the glory days yet act like he had nothing to do with them.

In all fairness, he lost to Tulane and Western Kentucky. It’s not like he was playing Alabama or even a mid level P5 team.

In any case, I don’t know where this idea that someone not wanting Butch back does not equal respect and appreciation for what he accomplished. I also don’t think looking back and saying he was not the best gameday coach is somehow insulting him or his legacy here. He had, without a doubt, the best eye for talent both on the field and coaching. However, he did lose a number of games that he should not have lost, even once the roster was rebuilt. At a certain point he stockpiled so much talent that even a boob like Coker couldn’t ***** it up.

For me, I didn’t want Miami to revisit that path as college football has changed immensely in just about every way and I would rather look forward than backwards. I think Butch would have put together a good staff, but by the same token, who knows if the administration would even give him a big enough budget to bring people in. Coaches love this school, but it’s not a volunteer gig. Assistant salaries have grown exponentially since that staff from 2000. Maybe they would have. In either case it is irrelevant now. But not wanting Butch in 2016 or 2019 doesn’t take anything away from Butch taking a job that no one wanted and building a monster from the rubble.

Advertisement
Lol at player development. UCF can recruit 2 and 3 stars and develop the **** out of their players but we can’t get anything out of our 4 star players. Seriously, what the **** Miami??

UCF just runs schemes that maximizes what little talent they get in...

Their QB who got hurt last year isn’t even half as talented as Williams, Perry or even Tate...

But he’s a rockstar that was tearing it up because the coaches play to his strengths and simply run better schemes.

Miami should have been one of the pioneers of spread football... but instead we want to be like Nebraska of the 90s and early 00s clinging on too the triple option

In all fairness, he lost to Tulane and Western Kentucky. It’s not like he was playing Alabama or even a mid level P5 team.

In any case, I don’t know where this idea that someone not wanting Butch back does not equal respect and appreciation for what he accomplished. I also don’t think looking back and saying he was not the best gameday coach is somehow insulting him or his legacy here. He had, without a doubt, the best eye for talent both on the field and coaching. However, he did lose a number of games that he should not have lost, even once the roster was rebuilt. At a certain point he stockpiled so much talent that even a boob like Coker couldn’t ***** it up.

For me, I didn’t want Miami to revisit that path as college football has changed immensely in just about every way and I would rather look forward than backwards. I think Butch would have put together a good staff, but by the same token, who knows if the administration would even give him a big enough budget to bring people in. Coaches love this school, but it’s not a volunteer gig. Assistant salaries have grown exponentially since that staff from 2000. Maybe they would have. In either case it is irrelevant now. But not wanting Butch in 2016 or 2019 doesn’t take anything away from Butch taking a job that no one wanted and building a monster from the rubble.
I've never said not wanting him back equates to contempt for the program. Looking "backwards" has worked before and hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I've never said not wanting him back equates to contempt for the program. Looking "backwards" has worked before and hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Agreed, but I do think a large percent of the Butch crowd think that people who do not want him back have a vendetta against him and that there is no logical way to arrive at any other answer other than BBB.

Advertisement
Agreed, but I do think a large percent of the Butch crowd think that people who do not want him back have a vendetta against him and that there is no logical way to arrive at any other answer other than BBB.
The whole coaching staff is trash. Complete amateur hour.
Manny was a lazy hire.This job is way to big for him.Blake went into panic mode and hired him instead of taking his time to interview coaches. I love Butch but we have to move on from that,there are guys out there like Locksley, Leach, Mario and many other qualified coaches that would have taken this job.

Butch is younger than Mack

Advertisement
Manny was a lazy hire.This job is way to big for him.Blake went into panic mode and hired him instead of taking his time to interview coaches. I love Butch but we have to move on from that,there are guys out there like Locksley, Leach, Mario and many other qualified coaches that would have taken this job.

Agree 100%. The last four have been lazy hires. If he did a full search for a week or two and then came back to Manny, I would not have loved it, but at least I would have said BJ did his due diligence.

I know there was the extenuating circumstance with not wanting to keep Temple on hold, but that is their problem, not ours, and sums up a lot wrong with BJ as a leader. If one week was too long for Manny to keep them in limbo while doing a proper search, then the response should have been sorry timing did not work out, maybe next time.

Agree 100%. The last four have been lazy hires. If he did a full search for a week or two and then came back to Manny, I would not have loved it, but at least I would have said BJ did his due diligence.

I know there was the extenuating circumstance with not wanting to keep Temple on hold, but that is their problem, not ours, and sums up a lot wrong with BJ as a leader. If one week was too long for Manny to keep them in limbo while doing a proper search, then the response should have been sorry timing did not work out, maybe next time.
When we are looking to hire a coach it’s always the same 4 guys on the list. Tired of this crap!

Our coaching search always has the same **** names... Mario, Schiano, and some other dumbass, asinine suggestions like Trestman. You know, "Miami guys, guys that get the culture" and all that crap.

I said this elsewhere, but relevant to this comment.

Why do we always have to go back to this same list just because they have Miami ties? When Alabama was stagnant after Gene Stallings until Saban (and really post-Bryant other than a couple of years under Gene Stallings), they had an obsessive prerequisite of hiring an Alabama guy or someone who played under Bryant. Ray Perkins, Gene Stallings, Mike DuBose, and Mike Shula all played under Bryant and a couple coached under him too. Stallings had a couple of good years, but the program was middling while they tried to recreate and focus on the past. Then they got rid of that mentality, hired the best coach possible, and have dominated the last decade.

We are pretty much stuck in that same cycle. Before Jimmy Johnson became THE Miami guy, he was an Oklahoma State guy with no ties to the school. It would be great if we could get over this obsession of a "Miami guy" and just hire the best coach to develop our talent and win some games. If he happens to have ties to the school, then that is great, but it seems like it is some huge bonus if they coached here before. The best recruiting tools are winning and then developing guys where they get drafted in the top 3 rounds. These recruits could not care less if a guy has ties to Miami or the program. We have not done enough of either of the things that matter in the last 15 years.

Advertisement
Back