Coach Richt's old-school mentality +/-

after several days meditating in tibet, I have the answer to our play calling issues

jon richt is calling the plays

Advertisement
Most teams that know they have a weak OL are able to move the ball with an up-tempo, quick passing game...And just when the defense is scrambling to defend the pass, then run the ball for decent gains... However, it seems Coach Richt has a Run-1st mentality (with a weak OL), in order to open up the passing game. Philosophically, if the running game is established, throws become easier; making it easier on the QB.

I believe that's exactly where we are! Problem is, we spend too much time trying to establish the run with an inept OL we've been slow to correct.

We have a similar offense, to what I'm seeing in alot of places, but we take our time, allowing the defense to get in position, and comfortable with what we're doing; especially as we run the same formation 85%OF THE TIME. I think it's Richt making extra sure that our QB takes his time.

That's the difference in my opinion in comparison to other teams wit nearly identical systems.
Maybe he is trying to improve OL toughness by keep challenging them to play better by insisting on those run in the middle plays. But when the game is on the line, you choose play calling stye to mask your weakness. You still can win while having a disadvantage in the trenches. Troy defeated LSU, Syracuse defeated Clemson, UCF defeated Auburn and the list goes on. But you can only do that if you are resourceful having added that style to your offensive ****nal and practiced it in the offseason.

we'll find out next week if he puts some faith in perry and gets him going early

last saturday's play calling was flat out dreadful, I mean that was something you wouldn't even see in high school. I can only classify it as playing scared, 2nd half is how we should have played the 1st half. Putting perry in difficult 2nd and long and 3rd and longs by telegraphing the run up the middle every time is how you get a non nervous qb to be nervous.

there's other things to be concerned about as well, particularly the fact we brought in patke instead of a special teams coach which is REALLY biting us in the *** right now. Our special teams are just dreadful

we keep playing knowles... why? If we don't are we going to ruin his nfl career? There's no reason, ZERO NONE whatsoever to not have hall in front of him. The guy should never see the field AGAIN. How the **** is he the most improved player or w/e diaz said earlier this year? Is that a lie or a joke or?

grading mahoney and jones like they do... are they drinking scotch when they do these grades? Our **** keyboard savages on this message board have been calling for the proper lineup for like a MONTH.

what the **** man, someone make sense of this for me because I must be LOST

28-27

Advertisement
I scratched my head a LOT in that first half. These complaints were echoed in Georgia. Eventually he did add an OC, but the success was temporary. He has a good win percentage. IF the worst Richt does is leave Miami in the state he left for Kirby Smart, we will be competing for a title on that day. What we tend to forget is, Miami needs wins against FSU and others to get S. Fl kids attention again. They don't remember 2001. They are in highschool. Just win. I don't care how...
From what I recall, the AD forced him to hire an OC and Richt losing some of his control of the offense. A move he never liked and the issue remained a point of contention after that and was somehow a factor in the AD decision to part ways. I could be wrong though.

Only one major point I disagree with Richt is not what I call old school. Old school was when I darted watching the Canes. 3 yards and a cloud of dust.2 way players. No face masks and fewer pads. I can see those who never saw that think of him.as old school though

Says the guy who was so giddy about losing that he kept asking the score. In other words, the exact same thing that FSU fans were doing at the time.

i'm just aware of issues that you're apparently far too stupid to even have the concept in his brain, let alone be aware of it.

i've been evaporating you since I joined this forum, you're UFag to me at this point go argue with someone else about how all my points aren't valid.

i'm just aware of issues that you're apparently far too stupid to even have the concept in his brain, let alone be aware of it.

i've been evaporating you since I joined this forum, you're UFag to me at this point go argue with someone else about how all my points aren't valid.

Yeah, that's it.

FSU fan at 27-7: "HAHAHA, WHAT'S THE SCORE?"

paksat at 27-7: "HAHAHA, WHAT'S THE SCORE?"

How could a Miami fan possibly be gloating about the score at that point?

Advertisement
Going to get a slew of downvotes from the positivity police, but I think you're spot on.

Hahahaha...so f-king true.

Easy call here. Richt is a HUUUUGE upgrade for us from what bargain basement Shalala was willing to do ..

Richt is also a **** of a human being. He genuinely cares about his players....all that said,

Good guys finish last, that's the cold hard reality that sucks here. He needs to get a new hobby, hire a quality like minded OC so he can get his head out of the f-king play sheet and coach this team. He needs to work the refs a little bit and try raising a voice a bit. I want him back in Wisconsin mode.
He can still be Pastor Richt off the field.

UM

We're winning in spite of Richt's play calling while also gifting a huge advantage to the opponent when Richt plays this vanilla crap that he's so **** bent on.

The play calling on Saturday was the same thing we saw against LSU. Thankfully though FSU is as bad as they are and weren't able to capitalize and kill the game off inside 20 minutes just like LSU did. It's the same **** everytime -- we put ourselves in such a hole to start games creating negative momentum on offense and punishing the defense by having them out there for almost the entire first half. I don't know how we can expect any other outcome like the LSU game when we go up against any semi-competitive team. It took an historic comeback to beat an FSU team that barely beat Samford FFS.

1) QB Change

2) OL Positional Changes

3) Punter changes

4) Offensive Play-calling - I like his play calling BUT I can also understand when people say he has much room to improve . At Miami he has called amazing games and flat out bad games but also people have trouble some times telling the difference between a great call not executed and a bad call. They are not the same thing . But this is sorta a moot point as Richt will call plays as long as he is the coach and he will be the coach for 10-12 more years at least IMO .

I love how he uses the run game to wear teams out like he did in the FSU game. Again his play calling on Saturday was pretty good but I do agree he has had some duds here as well.

I agree with most of your points, but you lost me at "he will be here for 10 or 12 years as Miami's HC, so get used to it". Rick will wear out his welcome here long before that. Yes, he is an upgrade over his predecessor, but that's not saying much. Miami fans will not stand for endless seasons of 9,10, or 11 wins. He has 2 more classes to make the final four or those banners will fly.

Bank on it.

Here's the laundry list of things we all know about that makes it clear that Coach Richt will slow-walk changes we desperately need to make:

1) QB Change
2) OL Positional Changes
3) Punter change
4) Offensive Play-calling

I think Coach Richt takes his time with the personnel changes (#1-3), simply because his loyalty makes him give players a fair shake, until they prove its obvious that we have to go in another direction.

But what scares me, is the Offensive play-calling, because that doesn't point to any other guy but him. Play-calling is something personal that he wants to do, and that said, who's there to check Coach Richt on what he's doing, when he decides to run the same unsuccessful play 10-15 times a game?
BUMP... IJS

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back