Coach Richt's old-school mentality +/-

bigsonnyu

Sophomore
I love the fact that Coach Richt is trustworthy, which helps in recruiting - a parent knows they have a guy that's going to groom their kids into respectable young men, etc... I love that he has very savvy awareness about what he reveals to the public, to keep folks guessing - only telling the media what he wants his opponents to know. He is also able to subtly motivate guys though the media, knowing they'll see his praises for their competition during camp, etc...

So I get it, they guy is wise and cautiously wise all rolled into one, but cautious seems to be the leading attribute when it comes to game day decisions...

Here's the laundry list of things we all know about that makes it clear that Coach Richt will slow-walk changes we desperately need to make:

1) QB Change
2) OL Positional Changes
3) Punter change
4) Offensive Play-calling

I think Coach Richt takes his time with the personnel changes (#1-3), simply because his loyalty makes him give players a fair shake, until they prove its obvious that we have to go in another direction.

But what scares me, is the Offensive play-calling, because that doesn't point to any other guy but him. Play-calling is something personal that he wants to do, and that said, who's there to check Coach Richt on what he's doing, when he decides to run the same unsuccessful play 10-15 times a game?

Though I love Coach Richt for several of his strengths as a person, Richt has got to add some moxy to who he is as an on-field Coach. Currently, he can get the guys here, and has the clout to bring in good coaches to develop our team... However, this team will only be as good as Coach Richt's ability to demand a certain standard to continue starting for this team, and his creative ability!

For instance: Perry can make all of the throws, but the entire offense is only going to be as dynamic as Coach Richt's ability to give the defense a variety of looks, to help set plays up quicker, and pull the trigger in allowing Perry to sling it more often!

We're seeing Coach Richt clam up in his play calling when we face teams with talent. It's internalized caution, and he needs to realize that we need an OC with ice in his veins...

I enjoyed the win and I'm not calling for Coach's head... I think he was a godsend to get us back to a Cane level, but we aren't in the 90's anymore! We need an OC!!

Advertisement
we'll find out next week if he puts some faith in perry and gets him going early

last saturday's play calling was flat out dreadful, I mean that was something you wouldn't even see in high school. I can only classify it as playing scared, 2nd half is how we should have played the 1st half. Putting perry in difficult 2nd and long and 3rd and longs by telegraphing the run up the middle every time is how you get a non nervous qb to be nervous.

there's other things to be concerned about as well, particularly the fact we brought in patke instead of a special teams coach which is REALLY biting us in the *** right now. Our special teams are just dreadful

we keep playing knowles... why? If we don't are we going to ruin his nfl career? There's no reason, ZERO NONE whatsoever to not have hall in front of him. The guy should never see the field AGAIN. How the **** is he the most improved player or w/e diaz said earlier this year? Is that a lie or a joke or?

grading mahoney and jones like they do... are they drinking scotch when they do these grades? Our **** keyboard savages on this message board have been calling for the proper lineup for like a MONTH.

what the **** man, someone make sense of this for me because I must be LOST

I love the fact that Coach Richt is trustworthy, which helps in recruiting - a parent knows they have a guy that's going to groom their kids into respectable young men, etc... I love that he has very savvy awareness about what he reveals to the public, to keep folks guessing - only telling the media what he wants his opponents to know. He is also able to subtly motivate guys though the media, knowing they'll see his praises for their competition during camp, etc...

So I get it, they guy is wise and cautiously wise all rolled into one, but cautious seems to be the leading attribute when it comes to game day decisions...

Here's the laundry list of things we all know about that makes it clear that Coach Richt will slow-walk changes we desperately need to make:

1) QB Change
2) OL Positional Changes
3) Punter change

I think Coach Richt takes his time with the personnel changes (#1-3), simply because his loyalty makes him give players a fair shake, until they prove its obvious that we have to go in another direction.

But what scares me, is the Offensive play-calling, because that doesn't point to any other guy but him. Play-calling is something personal that he wants to do, and that said, who's there to check Coach Richt on what he's doing, when he decides to run the same unsuccessful play 10-15 times a game?

Though I love Coach Richt for several of his strengths as a person, Richt has got to add some moxy to who he is as an on-field Coach. Currently, he can get the guys here, and has the clout to bring in good coaches to develop our team... However, this team will only be as good as Coach Richt's ability to demand a certain standard to continue starting for this team, and his creative ability!

For instance: Perry can make all of the throws, but the entire offense is only going to be as dynamic as Coach Richt's ability to give the defense a variety of looks, to help set plays up quicker, and pull the trigger in allowing Perry to sling it more often!

We're seeing Coach Richt clam up in his play calling when we face teams with talent. It's internalized caution, and he needs to realize that we need an OC with ice in his veins...

I enjoyed the win and I'm not calling for Coach's head... I think he was a godsend to get us back to a Cane level, but we aren't in the 90's anymore! We need an OC!!

1) Pulled his undefeated starter last year in the final game --- only seen Saben do that
2) Went for on 4th down at mid field at the end of the Quarter --- conservative
3) Had an OL that couldnt block the DL, QB missing guys & WRs dropping ball -----you have to agree this impacts your play calling

We ran what seemed like the same run play on first down over and over and over again. Same side and everything. Im no x and o person so maybe there was subtle differences in the plays but it was still running the ball into a wall repeatedly.

Barely any play action. He’s added motion here and there which we were begging for previously.

We used to run WAY too many screens and now I feel we don’t run any. I just want more variety in the play calling.

And from own 40 and beyond we should be operating like we have 4 downs due to our punting situation. Get into a third and short then 4th and inches and go for it if needed.

Advertisement
I'm not good at the detail stuff but he lost the first fsu the way they always lost to us -- missed kick and last moment. I feared the nole was too deep in him -- remember how long it took Bobby to win his first NC. Last year the game ended the way is use to with us winning at last moment. This year we came for way back and won by a point. Another Cane type win. Now if he can shake the wrong dog, bulldog, off of himself and put that special Cane dogg on, we could pick up our 6th title. I think Mark needs a little nasty to come out.

1) Pulled his undefeated starter last year in the final game --- (Not the same as Saban/Malik lost 4 games ina row - Obvious change needed)
2) Went for on 4th down at mid field at the end of the Quarter --- (Obvious)
3) Had an OL that couldnt block the DL, QB missing guys & WRs dropping ball -----you have to agree this impacts your play calling

Just a recap, because everyone reads differently: Never said he doesn't make changes, I said he slow walks it until it's obvious, rather than getting ahead of it... Obvious = going for it on 4th down, because you lose the game if you don't.

Another point, if you missed it, all of those changes concern personnel. The Play-calling sits on his shoulders.

To be sure, Coach Richt favors fundamentals and tried-and-true concepts over anything else. If we continue to recruit well on the offensive line and one of our quarterbacks becomes a transcendent talent, we will get away with that. On the other hand, I do think it is time for some serious introspection on offense. There are a lot of teams with less talent that manufacture a competent and consistent running game out of the formations we are using. I don't see the hesitation in creating some of those plays.

To be sure, Coach Richt favors fundamentals and tried-and-true concepts over anything else. If we continue to recruit well on the offensive line and one of our quarterbacks becomes a transcendent talent, we will get away with that. On the other hand, I do think it is time for some serious introspection on offense. There are a lot of teams with less talent that manufacture a competent and consistent running game out of the formations we are using. I don't see the hesitation in creating some of those plays.

Most teams that know they have a weak OL are able to move the ball with an up-tempo, quick passing game...And just when the defense is scrambling to defend the pass, then run the ball for decent gains... However, it seems Coach Richt has a Run-1st mentality (with a weak OL), in order to open up the passing game. Philosophically, if the running game is established, throws become easier; making it easier on the QB.

I believe that's exactly where we are! Problem is, we spend too much time trying to establish the run with an inept OL we've been slow to correct.

We have a similar offense, to what I'm seeing in alot of places, but we take our time, allowing the defense to get in position, and comfortable with what we're doing; especially as we run the same formation 85%OF THE TIME. I think it's Richt making extra sure that our QB takes his time.

That's the difference in my opinion in comparison to other teams wit nearly identical systems.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Just a recap, because everyone reads differently: Never said he doesn't make changes, I said he slow walks it until it's obvious, rather than getting ahead of it... Obvious = going for it on 4th down, because you lose the game if you don't.

Another point, if you missed it, all of those changes concern personnel. The Play-calling sits on his shoulders.

I scratched my head a LOT in that first half. These complaints were echoed in Georgia. Eventually he did add an OC, but the success was temporary. He has a good win percentage. IF the worst Richt does is leave Miami in the state he left for Kirby Smart, we will be competing for a title on that day. What we tend to forget is, Miami needs wins against FSU and others to get S. Fl kids attention again. They don't remember 2001. They are in highschool. Just win. I don't care how...

I scratched my head a LOT in that first half. These complaints were echoed in Georgia. Eventually he did add an OC, but the success was temporary. He has a good win percentage. IF the worst Richt does is leave Miami in the state he left for Kirby Smart, we will be competing for a title on that day. What we tend to forget is, Miami needs wins against FSU and others to get S. Fl kids attention again. They don't remember 2001. They are in highschool. Just win. I don't care how...

Very true, every thing affects everything!

I agree that it looked and felt like he was trying not to put Perry in tough situations and didn't have the faith in him. Maybe the way the game played out works to our advantage because everyone got to see Perry step up and make some big throws etc.

I'm thinking Perry gained a siht-ton of confidence in that game.

No issue with sticking with the run game even if not having success. Wears down opponent late in game. Seems to me the issue is that the RPO limits the creativity of run plays. If qb reads run, then the RB will basically have one run lane straight ahead. If the DL is winning the LOS, they will stop the run even if it was the correct RPO read. So I don't know if Richt's problem is that he is not a creative play caller, or whether it's an inherent weakness of the RPO (to be fair, if the OL is good at run blocking and the QB is making the correct reads, the RPO is lethal).

Advertisement
1) QB Change - He changed it as fast as possible. You don't start a kid in his first game against LSU on the road ( know it wasnt at LSU but it wasn't in Miami ) Once it was obviously Rosier wasn't the guy this season he changed it . He should be appluaded for what he did . Also he backed Perry up like a mother Fer with all those 4th down calls . Didn't bench him after going down 27-7. This point is just a flat out wrong one.

2) OL Positional Changes - I can agree with this for the most part. Jones flat out shouldn't play . Mahoney is pretty bad too.

3) Punter change - Again he changed punters pretty quickly once it was shown Feagles didnt have it in him this season. Now Spicer has been a mix bag ( though he always gets the ball at least 40 yards at least ) but its not like a team carries 3 punters.

4) Offensive Play-calling - I like his play calling BUT I can also understand when people say he has much room to improve . At Miami he has called amazing games and flat out bad games but also people have trouble some times telling the difference between a great call not executed and a bad call. They are not the same thing . But this is sorta a moot point as Richt will call plays as long as he is the coach and he will be the coach for 10-12 more years at least IMO .

I love how he uses the run game to wear teams out like he did in the FSU game. Again his play calling on Saturday was pretty good but I do agree he has had some duds here as well.

No issue with sticking with the run game even if not having success. Wears down opponent late in game. Seems to me the issue is that the RPO limits the creativity of run plays. If qb reads run, then the RB will basically have one run lane straight ahead. If the DL is winning the LOS, they will stop the run even if it was the correct RPO read. So I don't know if Richt's problem is that he is not a creative play caller, or whether it's an inherent weakness of the RPO (to be fair, if the OL is good at run blocking and the QB is making the correct reads, the RPO is lethal).

That's the thing, you have to show the ability to switch it up. Once the DC proves he can stop you by winning the LOS, in the formation your in 85% of the game, you've got to show some variety... It shouldn't have to take the game being on the line for us to trust Perry to throw the ball and take some shots.

Most teams that know they have a weak OL are able to move the ball with an up-tempo, quick passing game...And just when the defense is scrambling to defend the pass, then run the ball for decent gains... However, it seems Coach Richt has a Run-1st mentality (with a weak OL), in order to open up the passing game. Philosophically, if the running game is established, throws become easier; making it easier on the QB.

I believe that's exactly where we are! Problem is, we spend too much time trying to establish the run with an inept OL we've been slow to correct.

We have a similar offense, to what I'm seeing in alot of places, but we take our time, allowing the defense to get in position, and comfortable with what we're doing; especially as we run the same formation 85%OF THE TIME. I think it's Richt making extra sure that our QB takes his time.

That's the difference in my opinion in comparison to other teams wit nearly identical systems.

I'll tell you what, I don't think we are a perfect offensive line by any means, but I don't think we are inept either.

I think we have wasted too much time trying to figure out the best 5. It's pretty clear that if we want an inside running game, Donaldson needs to be a guard and not tackle why after 6 games we're still trying to figure that out is beyond my comprehension.

When faced with an 8 versus 6 advantage for the defense, why we don't have mechanisms in place to check to a hot route, screen, something to the perimeter, etc. is beyond me as well. You don't keep a defense honest by letting them stop the play they're trying to stop. You keep them honest by showing them you'll do something off balance or out of tendency.

Also, we did nothing in the short to intermediate passing game to soften things up for the o-line either. There were no bubbles, no initiative to work the flats, no hot routes, nothing. Basically, all the **** people do to us, haha.

I also don't understand the lack of motion to move a defense around and tip coverages in our favor.

All of these things can put your offense into a plus matchup which in turn will take a lot of pressure off your offensive line.

Advertisement

1) QB Change
2) OL Positional Changes
3) Punter change

And just like 1-3 CMR made those changes I think he'll eventually look himself in the mirror and realize the plays or the play calling isn't giving us the best chance to win just like his mentor BB.# don't wait too long coach!

I'll tell you what, I don't think we are a perfect offensive line by any means, but I don't think we are inept either.

I think we have wasted too much time trying to figure out the best 5. It's pretty clear that if we want an inside running game, Donaldson needs to be a guard and not tackle why after 6 games we're still trying to figure that out is beyond my comprehension.

When faced with an 8 versus 6 advantage for the defense, why we don't have mechanisms in place to check to a hot route, screen, something to the perimeter, etc. is beyond me as well. You don't keep a defense honest by letting them stop the play they're trying to stop. You keep them honest by showing them you'll do something off balance or out of tendency.

Also, we did nothing in the short to intermediate passing game to soften things up for the o-line either. There were no bubbles, no initiative to work the flats, no hot routes, nothing. Basically, all the **** people do to us, haha.

I also don't understand the lack of motion to move a defense around and tip coverages in our favor.

All of these things can put your offense into a plus matchup which in turn will take a lot of pressure off your offensive line.

I agree that if we make the necessary changes we aren't inept. I was mostly speaking of CMR choosing to stick with the OL we came out of camp with, and continuing to start that pairing, despite what they were putting on film. That group with #62 & #77 at Guard was inept, with Donaldson and St Louis looking questionable at Tackle, even vs Savannah State at times.

Also, I agree there's alot of options out there considering our talent. We should be able to adjust to anything the defense puts in front of us. But not only should we be adjusting, we should have the mentality of attacking, which means the defense adjusting to what we're doing.

It is just my opinion, I think part of the play calling is that he knows we don't have a great OL. Like many others on this board have said, they finally put the guys in that seems to work together and hopefully they allow them to play together and gel.

I can't be at the games, so I can only say what I see on TV, but it doesn't seem like we run very many slants/drag/middle in depth routes unless we are near the goal line (inside the 10). Hopefully if I'm wrong, someone will let me know. IMHO, with the skill guys we have, if you're not going to line up in the I-formation, spread these guys out, not just horizontally, but vertically and run routes at different levels. It seems to me we either have a real quick hitting screen (which hasn't been around in a while) but most of our routes are 12+ yards down the field (unless we are near the goal line). I say mix it up the routes(depth) up, throw more on 1st down and some play action would be great.

Lastly, the only thing we seem to run out of the I-formation is to Grey (Not complaining, he does a great job, just wondering if we have anything outside of that run) other than the one (maybe two) runs from the tail back? Any pass plays out of this formation?

Obviously, Perry and the OL still need to earn Richt's confidence. He falls back on the strengths of this team - defense and the running game. I don't have a problem with it for now as Perry and the OL have not been totally consistent.

It won't win ACC Championship games or bowl games, but hopefully the Canes continue to progress and he can open up the offense more by then.

Advertisement
Back