Coach Richt on wqam today

Regarding the earlier conversation, Mario Cristobal would have been about as bad of a hire as we could have made.

Advertisement
I remember someone asking Richt about the Miami job mid-season and he didn't blow it off like he had in the recent past. That was a great sign at that point. And yes, there was real interest in the job this time around compared to 5 years ago. That is why I was so bothered by the Mario talk, and all his endorsements. Why bother even talking to a guy with his lack of success?
The relief I felt when Richt was named the head coach was two-fold. One, we got a great, experienced head coach. And two, we didn't hire Mario.
These must be very confusing interviews for ol' Joe Rose as it must seem like an alternate reality in which Mario Cristobal wasn't named our head coach.

it was the exact opposite of when we fired randy

other than gruden ( who we dont even know would have been a great college coach) there were NO good candidates , golden certainly wasnt the right hire, but its not exactly like we had alot to choose from

this time around two big jobs (USC and VT) had just been taken, when richt was fired, and we were the best jop open, plus we had began asking him about his interest in the job before, it worked out perfectly

I was all in on Mario vs butch or another coach mentioned, but when richt came up no way did I want anyone but richt. the guy is a great coach. has the best history of any coach Miami has hired. that said Mario to me was better then re hiring butch.

xShB_5.gif

The impression that I got from the interview was that Richt was underwhelmed by what he has to work with. Now I have never heard him speak in the past about his GA teams, so I do not know if that is his style (become more glowing as the season nears or there is actual improvement), but it was definitely not the coach speak you hear every year that "we are good and just need to get on the same page". It felt more like, we will get good...in time.

But that is just my impression.

How much does Willis weigh - legit?

/please don't refer me to the official roster

Advertisement
The impression that I got from the interview was that Richt was underwhelmed by what he has to work with. Now I have never heard him speak in the past about his GA teams, so I do not know if that is his style (become more glowing as the season nears or there is actual improvement), but it was definitely not the coach speak you hear every year that "we are good and just need to get on the same page". It felt more like, we will get good...in time.

This was *not* Georgia style.

He was very polite about it, but I have never heard him be that snarky about a team over his 15 years at UGA.

I think half of that was genuine concern about what he had to work with.

I think the other half was trying to motivate players to to work hard both mentally and physically. Especially mentally--he is not pleased at all about players blowing assignments.

He was very polite about it, but I have never heard him be that snarky about a team over his 15 years at UGA.

I think the other half was trying to motivate players to to work hard both mentally and physically. Especially mentally--he is not pleased at all about players blowing assignments.

Thanks for the Coach Richt insights. I thought some of it was motivational also. Best of luck to the Dawgs this year unless we play you guys in a bowl game.

Go Canes!

Sounds like richards and bruce are going to have the chance to play a ton right away. And just as I thought all along berrios just isn't that good.

Berrios might not be the next great, but I have no idea where you got any corroboration for your opinion from Richt's interview.

Sounds like richards and bruce are going to have the chance to play a ton right away. And just as I thought all along berrios just isn't that good.

Berrios might not be the next great, but I have no idea where you got any corroboration for your opinion from Richt's interview.
yea he just said he needs bodies which is true it's tough to have an effective offense with 5 WRs in CFB

Advertisement

hes truly a players coach, and when he was at UGA he would never dare say anything negative about a guy he had recruited and built a relationship with

i think he will be the same way with the guys he recruits here, but as for this crew he isnt that close to them, i dont think he was being too hard though, he was just being honest

-practice going well; had visiting coaches that were impressed with tempo
-kayaa: smart, dedicated, tall, can make all the throws when he sets his feet guess that's something they are working on)
-te: tall with long arms; nothing special mentioned
-wr: only have 2 that strike fear in opponents; need to improve that
Rb: have 3 good backs that can duo a little of everything
-OL: injuries; nothing good mentioned
DL: have a couple of good guys, need to increase the number to get guys in fresh that are fresh
-willis: little light but will get him up 5-10lbs by season start; athletic and lives football but thought he'd be bigger
-lb: tough position to play; want outside baskets that can cover for when we go against up tempo teqms
-defense: everyone will be blitzing but won't be every down, will be one gapping;
-coveragrs: we can't just be a team that does one thing(press bump); college coaches too smary,would pick us apart; NFL doesn't only play press but mixes it up to confuse offense; our guys will be learning various coverages

Well Done..Thanks obcanes!

-practice going well; had visiting coaches that were impressed with tempo
-kayaa: smart, dedicated, tall, can make all the throws when he sets his feet guess that's something they are working on)
-te: tall with long arms; nothing special mentioned
-wr: only have 2 that strike fear in opponents; need to improve that
Rb: have 3 good backs that can duo a little of everything
-OL: injuries; nothing good mentioned
DL: have a couple of good guys, need to increase the number to get guys in fresh that are fresh
-willis: little light but will get him up 5-10lbs by season start; athletic and lives football but thought he'd be bigger
-lb: tough position to play; want outside baskets that can cover for when we go against up tempo teqms
-defense: everyone will be blitzing but won't be every down, will be one gapping;
-coveragrs: we can't just be a team that does one thing(press bump); college coaches too smary,would pick us apart; NFL doesn't only play press but mixes it up to confuse offense; our guys will be learning various coverages

Richt said we're definitely light in numbers at receiver. As for offensive lineman he said it's too early to call. We definitely have kids who can help but are hurt right now. He thinks we have 4 defensive tackles who can play and we have kids at end as well. That's consistent with Coach Kool's assessment. Numbers aren't the issue at linebacker. He said having the 3 EEs will make them much futher along when fall starts.

It was a good interview. He was honest.

Advertisement

I'm glad he's not just repeating what he did at Georgia.

Advertisement
Back