Coach Larranaga Weekly Press Conference 11.27.18

Really? Doesn't seem to bother Miss St. or Louisville.

At some point you have to say...who gives a rat's ***? Worked for Pearl at Auburn.

**** the NCAA.
Cmon man you've been a UM fan long enough to know that what works for Auburn, Vandy, MIchigan etc will not work for us. When we ***** up they crush us into paste every single time.

Advertisement
Coach L says that he hasn't been cleared by the NCAA yet. And that there is no timetable. This is what they are waiting on. If this were as cut and dry as its being described then why aren't smarter people on top of this? You can't presume that nobody in the entire athletic legal department has seen this before and they are just sitting there on their law degrees baffled.

I get the temptation to imagine that all UM admins are idiots. Some are.

I don't think that Coach L is an idiot though. He's been around the game long enough to have seen and experienced this. If Hernandez isn't playing then I am assuming that it is in our(programs) best interest. Still sucks

Perhaps the most pathetic part of this whole thing is that our esteemed AD has seen this before, which brings us back to DQJ. The school followed the same protocol with DQJ (i.e. deferring to the NCAA to confirm his eligibility). The only difference I can tell is that the school suspended DQJ for the entire season when they asked the NCAA to confirm his eligibility (as opposed to Huellnandez, who got slapped with an even crueler indefinite, undefined, open ended suspension...maybe he'll get reinstated tomorrow, or next month, or never. Good luck making life decisions on that information). The NCAA nor the university ever reached a determination on DQJ's eligibility. The school's decision cost him 10 games until he threatened legal action, and then he was reinstated.

This isn't quantum physics. Either there is evidence or there isn't. But the NCAA, especially with more federal trials pending on corruption in college basketball, will be in no hurry to "prove a negative" (that Huellnandez never took bennies) Instead they will go on an open ended fishing expedition, with our season and potentially a 7 figure pay day for Huellnandez being flushed down the toilet. This is how the NCAA operates. The university deserves 100% of the blame for handling the situation in the way that they have, especially after dealing with an almost identical situation a few years back. We have the worst athletic department in major college sports. It's an embarrassment. Blake James desperately needs to go, and replaced with a competent AD. Only then will things have the possibility of improving.

Coach L has no say in the school's protocols. It's not his call. Nor will he come out and say his bosses are a bunch of dopes (which they plainly are).

Coach L says that he hasn't been cleared by the NCAA yet.

I stopped here. That is because we made this an issue and brought it to them for review. This isn't a chicken or the egg question. This is a but for question. I am sorry you don't understand it though.

I stopped here. That is because we made this an issue and brought it to them for review. This isn't a chicken or the egg question. This is a but for question. I am sorry you don't understand it though.

When you say we brought this issue to the NCAA office you mean UM's compliance department turned the results of the FBI investigation over to the NCAA compliance office or whatever the names are?

Isn't that their job coming off an FBI investigation? Did you really think it was over just because we got cleared by the FBI?

This was gonna happen. Maybe you don't understand.

Advertisement
This is beyond a waste of time. You're not reading my post which answered many of these questions.

When you say we brought this issue to the NCAA office you mean UM's compliance department turned the results of the FBI investigation over to the NCAA compliance office or whatever the names are?

No. I mean that the school asked the NCAA to determine whether something happened or not. This is kind of like asking PWC to audit you AFTER the IRS said nothing is wrong. I suggest you read the trial record. Focus on the evidence provided. Then, explain what standard is met when there is NO evidence provided.

Isn't that their job coming off an FBI investigation?

Please show me the bylaw requiring random audits. Then explain why UL and MSU don't feel the need to do such a thing.

Did you really think it was over just because we got cleared by the FBI?

Please read the Dewan thread. All of this was answered. There was no issue, we made it an issue.

This was gonna happen.

Nope. We choose to make this happen.

Coach L must've thought it was over or wouldn't he have advised Dewan to leave last year?
If he thought it was in Dewans best interest, I think he would have. I don't think this suspension will go on forever but if it gets close to ACC time I think some decisions have to be made.

If he thought it was in Dewans best interest, I think he would have. I don't think this suspension will go on forever but if it gets close to ACC time I think some decisions have to be made.

The suspension will go on until Huellnandez pursues legal action.

This is beyond a waste of time. You're not reading my post which answered many of these questions.

No. I mean that the school asked the NCAA to determine whether something happened or not. This is kind of like asking PWC to audit you AFTER the IRS said nothing is wrong. I suggest you read the trial record. Focus on the evidence provided. Then, explain what standard is met when there is NO evidence provided.

Please show me the bylaw requiring random audits. Then explain why UL and MSU don't feel the need to do such a thing.

Please read the Dewan thread. All of this was answered. There was no issue, we made it an issue.

Don't you think its a little pretentious to open your post by stating you read exactly the first sentence of my post and didn't read further because you know so **** much. And now you're whining that I didn't read your post?? SMH

The FBI investigation cleared Coach L. It didn't clear Dewan Hernandez who was obviously the kid in question. Yes Coach L will have an interview with the NCAA and yes the university of Miami must comply with their now on going investigation into what happened. This is not a random audit. The U must answer questions about this to the NCAA.

I don't know nor do I care why the other kids are playing. Maybe the university is just being patient. They certainly didn't expect it to end in a week.

Maybe as the games get more serious the U will change its stance. In any event the U is playing it close to the vest right now.

Advertisement
Don't you think its a little pretentious to open your post by stating you read exactly the first sentence of my post and didn't read further because you know so **** much. And now you're whining that I didn't read your post?? SMH

The FBI investigation cleared Coach L. It didn't clear Dewan Hernandez who was obviously the kid in question. Yes Coach L will have an interview with the NCAA and yes the university of Miami must comply with their now on going investigation into what happened. This is not a random audit. The U must answer questions about this to the NCAA.

I don't know nor do I care why the other kids are playing. Maybe the university is just being patient. They certainly didn't expect it to end in a week.

Maybe as the games get more serious the U will change its stance. In any event the U is playing it close to the vest right now.

You porst above is full of wrong. Pure ignorance.

Answer the questions in post #19 and standard of evidence/proof in post #26 or move on.

Marc-

You aren't getting this. There was no evidence in the federal probe that Huellnandez took any bennies or even knew about a plan to pay him. The story broke about this plan, and instead of assuming their student's innocence if/until there was evidence to the contrary (like the other universities with active named players did), UM deferred to the NCAA to conduct an open ended fishing expedition and rule on his eligibility. If such evidence was available (see the luxury car rental scandal), Huellnandez would have been booted off the team long ago. The NCAA has no motivation to hurry this investigation, and in fact has a lot of reason to delay it until the feds are done with their prosecutions, which could take a year or longer.

In summation, our administration sucks, and Huellnandez's potential payday and our season are being flushed down the toilet.

By the way, something in Michelle Kaufman's article from a couple of days ago bothered me. The article says that DQJ was "cleared and reinstated by the NCAA." That is wrong on multiple levels. The NCAA never ruled him ineligible initially, and never ruled on his eligibility one way or the other. DQJ lawyered up, UM folded like a cheap suit, and the NCAA didn't say peep one.

When UM reinstated DQJ, they issued a press release saying the decision was made in consultation with the NCAA. The school said it would have no further comment "in order to protect the integrity of the ongoing joint inquiry." That "joint inquiry" must be ongoing 7 years later, because the NCAA never ruled on DQJ's eligibility.

Last edited:
Marc-

You aren't getting this. There was no evidence in the federal probe that Huellnandez took any bennies or even knew about a plan to pay him. The story broke about this plan, and instead of assuming their student's innocence if/until there was evidence to the contrary (like the other universities with active named players did), UM deferred to the NCAA to conduct an open ended fishing expedition and rule on his eligibility. If such evidence was available (see the luxury car rental scandal), Huellnandez would have been booted off the team long ago. The NCAA has no motivation to hurry this investigation, and in fact has a lot of reason to delay it until the feds are done with their prosecutions, which could take a year or longer.

In summation, our administration sucks, and Huellnandez's potential payday and our season are being flushed down the toilet.

By the way, something in Michelle Kaufman's article from a couple of days ago bothered me. The article says that DQJ was "cleared and reinstated by the NCAA." That is wrong on multiple levels. The NCAA never ruled him ineligible initially, and never ruled on his eligibility one way or the other. DQJ lawyered up, UM folded like a cheap suit, and the NCAA didn't say peep one.

When UM reinstated DQJ, they issued a press release saying the decision was made in consultation with the NCAA. The school said it would have no further comment "in order to protect the integrity of the ongoing joint inquiry." That "joint inquiry" must be ongoing 7 years later, because the NCAA never ruled on DQJ's eligibility.
TC

I do understand. I understand what both you and Consig are saying. You're saying that this never had to happen. Had we just moved forward and said or did nothing Hernandez would be playing and all would be well. Agreed to a degree. What I am saying is that there is an entire department within the athletic department that deals directly with keeping the school in compliance with the NCAA. These are people with real knowledge of the laws of the NCAA and direct access to information regarding this case that even the media doesn't have. ALL of your information comes from the media.

This decision went through multiple channels. Submitting your basketball teams best player to the NCAA office for clarification is not an easy decision. It was made because enough people with information thought it was in the best interest of the school. I don't like the move but its done now.

Its easy to say that everybody involved must be stupid. But in reality that doesn't make sense.

Cmon man you've been a UM fan long enough to know that what works for Auburn, Vandy, MIchigan etc will not work for us. When we ***** up they crush us into paste every single time.

Yes I have, I assure you. That cuts both ways though...I'm sick and tired of it. We will never truly compete worrying about the NCAA with every breath we take.

Advertisement
In the last 10 years we've had 3 5* players. 2 of the 3 had their eligibility turned over to the NCAA for "review." If Lonnie Walker stayed any longer, the same probably would have happened to him. Why would any 5* sign here under that protocol?

You are putting your faith in an incompetent athletic department that has proven to not care about winning in ANY major sport. I'm not. They suck. You assume they made their decision to ruin Huellnandez's future and our season based upon information that isn't publicly available. Based upon what they tried to do to DQJ, they are not entitled to that benefit of the doubt.

This is one of the many reasons I asked you to answer the questions because you don't understand what we're getting at. Either you don't understand the questions and/or don't care.

What I am saying is that there is an entire department within the athletic department that deals directly with keeping the school in compliance with the NCAA.

Your right. There is a compliance department. There are also compliance departments at Louisville and Mississippi State. I also suggest you understand what Louisville is risking by doing what they're doing. They're already in trouble for very different (from VJ King) and recent stuff.

These are people with real knowledge of the laws of the NCAA and direct access to information regarding this case that even the media doesn't have. ALL of your information comes from the media.

Incorrect. I suggest you read the trial transcript and indictment. I also suggest you read the Dewan thread so you can understand how many flawed points you continue to bring up.

This decision went through multiple channels. Submitting your basketball teams best player to the NCAA office for clarification is not an easy decision. It was made because enough people with information thought it was in the best interest of the school. I don't like the move but its done now.

Again, this is flawed (in this case) because of the following:

1. Both the University and Coach were named in the indictment.
2. No evidence was provided at trial (as to whether Dewan knew or received actual payments).
3. If evidence was found and withheld from a criminal investigation, what happens? Why would anyone do that?

Its easy to say that everybody involved must be stupid. But in reality that doesn't make sense.

What happens if incompetent people are handling it? We know they're incompetent.

I have zero faith in our compliance department.

We’re getting clowned by cowering to the NCAA while other programs are playing their guys.

Free DH

Advertisement
This is one of the many reasons I asked you to answer the questions because you don't understand what we're getting at. Either you don't understand the questions and/or don't care.

Your right. There is a compliance department. There are also compliance departments at Louisville and Mississippi State. I also suggest you understand what Louisville is risking by doing what they're doing. They're already in trouble for very different (from VJ King) and recent stuff.

Incorrect. I suggest you read the trial transcript and indictment. I also suggest you read the Dewan thread so you can understand how many flawed points you continue to bring up.

Again, this is flawed (in this case) because of the following:

1. Both the University and Coach were named in the indictment.
2. No evidence was provided at trial (as to whether Dewan knew or received actual payments).
3. If evidence was found and withheld from a criminal investigation, what happens? Why would anyone do that?

What happens if incompetent people are handling it? We know they're incompetent.
Your right. There is a compliance department. There are also compliance departments at Louisville and Mississippi State.

I'm not sure how to communicate this to you any clearer. I don't care about them. Saying "well they're doing" it is a luxury for fans not for people who are actually responsible for anything. Much less our NCAA compliance dept. knowing how they treat us. Stop bringing them up.

Incorrect. I suggest you read the trial transcript and indictment.

When ESPN name drops the NCAA is gonna ask questions.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...te-schools-college-basketball-corruption-case

You're too close to this. Back up and recognize that the NCAA was gonna want answers and that UM was trying to take the lead.

So let the NCAA ask as many questions as they want...while Huellnandez is allowed to play. If UM and/or NCAA uncovers evidence that Huellnandez is ineligible due to taking bennies, then present the evidence, at which point he needs to be suspended/booted.

Your right. There is a compliance department. There are also compliance departments at Louisville and Mississippi State.

I'm not sure how to communicate this to you any clearer. I don't care about them. Saying "well they're doing" it is a luxury for fans not for people who are actually responsible for anything. Much less our NCAA compliance dept. knowing how they treat us. Stop bringing them up.

Incorrect. I suggest you read the trial transcript and indictment.

When ESPN name drops the NCAA is gonna ask questions.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...te-schools-college-basketball-corruption-case

You're too close to this. Back up and recognize that the NCAA was gonna want answers and that UM was trying to take the lead.

Let me know when you answer all my questions.

I also liked how you move past a point by saying, you don’t care. Wow.

Advertisement
Back