Coach Larranaga Weekly Press Conference 11.27.18

Da_Lucky_One

All ACC

My reaction to the press conference:

1. No timetable for Dewan Hernandez return. Dewan can practice but cannot travel on road games. Unbelievable.
2. Coach L lykes that Chris can score but his assist to turnover ratio is a problem. I agree.
3. Anthony Mack is the 8th guy in a 7-man rotation with only nine scholarship players. Ouch.
4. Coach L is fine with Anthony L. last shot against Seton Hall. He is shooting 48% from 3. I agree.
5. When Dewan is available, they have 7 starters. 7 starters? Coach L admits Dewan is missed and needed.
6. Coach L states they are waiting on a ruling from the NCAA on Dewan.
7. Coach L admits rebounding is a problem, a huge problem. Especially without Dewan.

Advertisement
They are paranoid because of the Nevin Shapiro crap

Does that explain their decision to start charging for parking in the garage for games? Does that explain 4 crap football hires in a row? Does that explain Gino being handed the baseball program like some kind of feudal prince? They just suck on every level. It's hard to believe that there are athletic departments that actually facilitate winning and enhancing fan experience. Our athletic department does the opposite. Awful.

Advertisement
Does that explain their decision to start charging for parking in the garage for games? Does that explain 4 crap football hires in a row? Does that explain Gino being handed the baseball program like some kind of feudal prince? They just suck on every level. It's hard to believe that there are athletic departments that actually facilitate winning and enhancing fan experience. Our athletic department does the opposite. Awful.

Some of the worst decision makers in the game.

In this regard they've got to play it safe though. Should the NCAA rule against us, we may have to forfeit games. Can't take 6 or 7 games away from the rest of the team.

There seems to be enough smoke for the admins to want to play it close to the vest.

In this regard they've got to play it safe though. Should the NCAA rule against us, we may have to forfeit games. Can't take 6 or 7 games away from the rest of the team.

There seems to be enough smoke for the admins to want to play it close to the vest.

So far we've "forfeited" two games as a direct result of holding him out. I guarantee we'll "forfeit" another 5 by continuing to hold him out.

Advertisement

See Dequan Jones for ample evidence that you have no basis for your assumption.

See Dequan Jones for ample evidence that you have no basis for your assumption.
DQJ situation has nothing to do with this. As fans we have the luxury to ***** about this but the staff can't get this wrong. The season will go down the tank if they do.

I don't like it anymore than you do and the school has every reason to want Hernandez back on the court.

Very few people shared your opinion when Richt hired, that he was a "crap" hire. I'm betting you didnt either. I pay zero to park, I park under the metrorail. It doesnt seem like you go to "any" games, so not sure why you would complain, even though I could be wrong about that

DQJ situation has nothing to do with this. As fans we have the luxury to ***** about this but the staff can't get this wrong. The season will go down the tank if they do.

I don't like it anymore than you do and the school has every reason to want Hernandez back on the court.

DQJ was held out by UM, ostensibly for his entire senior season, pending an NCAA review of his eligibility. After 10 games he was reinstated as a direct result of, and only because of pursuing legal action. DQJ was never cited for any infraction. So while none of us know whether Huellnandez took improper benefits, we do know the University was willing to hold out another player for his entire senior season pending a review of eligibility that led to absolutely nothing.

In short, saying that the DQJ situation has nothing to do with this is facially wrong.

Advertisement
Very few people shared your opinion when Richt hired, that he was a "crap" hire. I'm betting you didnt either. I pay zero to park, I park under the metrorail. It doesnt seem like you go to "any" games, so not sure why you would complain, even though I could be wrong about that

I had Richt wrong. I assumed he'd keep winning 9 games like he did at UGA.

I live about 2 hours from coral gables and typically make it down to at least 1 baseball and 1 basketball game per season. But my complaint wasn't so much about me as it was about the administration generally making it more difficult instead of easier to support the teams.

Really? Doesn't seem to bother Miss St. or Louisville.

At some point you have to say...who gives a rat's ***? Worked for Pearl at Auburn.

**** the NCAA.

Anyone that paid any attention at all new Richt would suck without his bagmen.

He literally got fired for losing back to back to the Macelwain the worst Gator coach of all time. He also had a losing record to zook who is one of the worst. He lossed at least 1 game per season in every season to inferior opponents and 13 out of 15 seasons he lost 2 or more games to opponents with less talent.

He did all of this as the only good P5 team in the state with the 4th most NFL/CFB talent in the nation with some of the richest bagmen in all of college football.

He also refused to fire terrible assistants.

It was painfully obvious that without bagmen, 2 other instate rivals for talent(plus UGA, Bama, Clemson, OSU, etc. all competing for talent), an AD that will give him free reign of the team(not forcing hirings/firings), and him bringing in his son as a QB coach, that he would be terrible.

Advertisement
The "Richt virus" has spread to the Hardwood!!
(Time to apply some "topical" ointment?)

DQJ was held out by UM, ostensibly for his entire senior season, pending an NCAA review of his eligibility. After 10 games he was reinstated as a direct result of, and only because of pursuing legal action. DQJ was never cited for any infraction. So while none of us know whether Huellnandez took improper benefits, we do know the University was willing to hold out another player for his entire senior season pending a review of eligibility that led to absolutely nothing.

In short, saying that the DQJ situation has nothing to do with this is facially wrong.
Ok lets use the DQJ situation since you think they are the same. If they resolved a replica of this Hernandez issue about 6 yrs ago with a lawyer, you remember it. I remember it. Why don't they do the exact same thing? Getting a lawyer to resolve NCAA issues is certainly not a novel approach.

Surely with Hernandez going into his "contract" year he should be super motivated to shoot this thing down now and not miss even on game. Why isn't it happening? If you're bright enough to say, "hey if you didn't do ish, lets get a lawyer!". Why aren't they when we've solved this same issue in the past with a similar format and it worked?

They aren't doing it because they are not sure. If Hernandez was sure he didn't do anything wrong he would force their hand. He may end up being innocent but if anyone with authority could guarantee his innocence he'd be playing right now.

Ok lets use the DQJ situation since you think they are the same. If they resolved a replica of this Hernandez issue about 6 yrs ago with a lawyer, you remember it. I remember it. Why don't they do the exact same thing? Getting a lawyer to resolve NCAA issues is certainly not a novel approach.

Surely with Hernandez going into his "contract" year he should be super motivated to shoot this thing down now and not miss even on game. Why isn't it happening? If you're bright enough to say, "hey if you didn't do ish, lets get a lawyer!". Why aren't they when we've solved this same issue in the past with a similar format and it worked?

They aren't doing it because they are not sure. If Hernandez was sure he didn't do anything wrong he would force their hand. He may end up being innocent but if anyone with authority could guarantee his innocence he'd be playing right now.

I am going to leave my personal opinion about Craig Anderson and Blake James out for the following. I am also only going to use the actual trial record and common sense.

-

Are you aware that there was an actual criminal investigation involving this stuff?

Are you aware that no evidence was provided that Dewan knew of any plan?

Are you aware that no evidence was provided that Dewan received any money?

Are you aware that UM already received a clean bill of health and was removed from the indictment?

Are you aware that Dewan is the ONLY player being held out?

-

So either there is no evidence of the above OR it was withheld from a criminal investigation. Which makes more sense? Why would we withhold evidence and risk those consequences from the DOJ?

-

As for the Dewan and attorney stuff, I have no idea if he looked into retaining counsel. Perhaps he is getting bad advice from the school/handlers. Perhaps he trusts the process. Perhaps he doesn’t know his options. This isn’t such a simple situation for a player as it rarely occurs (e.g. begin a COA against the school).

I am going to leave my personal opinion about Craig Anderson and Blake James out for the following. I am also only going to use the actual trial record and common sense.

-

Are you aware that there was an actual criminal investigation involving this stuff?

Are you aware that no evidence was provided that Dewan knew of any plan?

Are you aware that no evidence was provided that Dewan received any money?

Are you aware that UM already received a clean bill of health and was removed from the indictment?

Are you aware that Dewan is the ONLY player being held out?

-

So either there is no evidence of the above OR it was withheld from a criminal investigation. Which makes more sense? Why would we withhold evidence and risk those consequences from the DOJ?

-

As for the Dewan and attorney stuff, I have no idea if he looked into retaining counsel. Perhaps he is getting bad advice from the school/handlers. Perhaps he trusts the process. Perhaps he doesn’t know his options. This isn’t such a simple situation for a player as it rarely occurs (e.g. begin a COA against the school).
Coach L says that he hasn't been cleared by the NCAA yet. And that there is no timetable. This is what they are waiting on. If this were as cut and dry as its being described then why aren't smarter people on top of this? You can't presume that nobody in the entire athletic legal department has seen this before and they are just sitting there on their law degrees baffled.

I get the temptation to imagine that all UM admins are idiots. Some are.

I don't think that Coach L is an idiot though. He's been around the game long enough to have seen and experienced this. If Hernandez isn't playing then I am assuming that it is in our(programs) best interest. Still sucks

Advertisement
Back