Coach L Jr.

Donny Donowitz

Bear ***
Wonder if pops would tell his son it’s time for him to take over the program as head coach and he could fall into a ceo/advisor role?

I love coach L and will always be thankful for him jump starting out basketball program to respectable heights.

That being said his son would probably take us to that next level!

Advertisement
Why the F would we need to get rid of Coach L? The team is having a tough season due to circumstances outside Coach L's control.

I gave this post a check mark under the impression that we hire Jims son once Jim retires, not once he gets fired(cause he won't ever when he leaves it will be under his own terms)

Why the F would we need to get rid of Coach L? The team is having a tough season due to circumstances outside Coach L's control.
We’ve under preformed for a little while now under him ... last year was disappointing with the talent we had

Advertisement
We’ve under preformed for a little while now under him ... last year was disappointing with the talent we had
Would you rather go back to pre coach L days.that's exactly what will happen if coach L is fired.Coach L is well respected in the basketball community.even the best coaches like k,and Williams have had bad seasons

Coach L's success has unfortunately taken the same path as it did at George Mason. He built Mason up, then after reaching the truly remarkable feat of making the Final Four (and beating a couple top 5 programs to do it), his success at Mason sorta waned.

You would have thought that, like Butler later, he might've kept it going (being in the HS basketball hotbed of DC-Balt) but that was not to be. When his close friend, the school president, was replaced, he started looking. Big difference now is his age. I doubt he has another job in him.

I wouldn't think of replacing him unless we had a surefire replacement that is clearly better ready to sign. Easier said than done.

Roster management is in his control.
The last two seasons were under his control.

But you're the same guy who would always point to "one bad season" even when Jim Morris was on his 6th straight season without even winning a game in a Super Regional.

Advertisement
Would you rather go back to pre coach L days.that's exactly what will happen if coach L is fired.Coach L is well respected in the basketball community.even the best coaches like k,and Williams have had bad seasons

Wait, so Jim Larranaga is the only coach in America who could have success at Miami? We couldn't find another coach who could lead us to first round losses?

Jagr, of course he isn't the only one. But ... he's been the most successful one we've ever had. Winning the ACC regular season and tourney is a feat I never thought I'd live to see. Not to mention his record against UNC and Duke.

Wait, so Jim Larranaga is the only coach in America who could have success at Miami? We couldn't find another coach who could lead us to first round losses?
People like you always tend to kick a gift horse in the mouth.Coach is a good coach taken us farther into the n ccaas than any of the others we've had.chew on that for awhile before you speak.

Advertisement
People like you always tend to kick a gift horse in the mouth.Coach is a good coach taken us farther into the n ccaas than any of the others we've had.chew on that for awhile before you speak.
One thing you should know is that JJ ain't worth debating, The next time he posts something worth reading will be the 1st time.

Why would his son come here?

He’s turned down several NBA gigs.

He’s waiting for the perfect pro job.

Coach L's success has unfortunately taken the same path as it did at George Mason. He built Mason up, then after reaching the truly remarkable feat of making the Final Four (and beating a couple top 5 programs to do it), his success at Mason sorta waned.

You would have thought that, like Butler later, he might've kept it going (being in the HS basketball hotbed of DC-Balt) but that was not to be. When his close friend, the school president, was replaced, he started looking. Big difference now is his age. I doubt he has another job in him.

I wouldn't think of replacing him unless we had a surefire replacement that is clearly better ready to sign. Easier said than done.

I've been a Mason season ticket holder/fan since L's second season (98/99), I wouldn't say his success waned just because he didn't take us back to the final four again after the run in 06. We went to the tournament in 08 and 11 (beat Nova in 1st round). For '12 he had a team returning that would have been preseason top 25 and would have included the '12 conference POY and Luke Hancock (final 4 MVP after transferring to Louisville).

He wanted his assistants to be paid equal to VCU's assistants (fresh off their own final four run) but our AD and President refused to make the commitment. Still, he wasn't even looking around but got a random call from Miami and... well the rest is history.

There is zero chance of Jay taking the Miami job, he is a hot commodity in the NBA and by all accounts will be an NBA head coach.

Advertisement

So he gets a lifetime contract for getting us to the Sweet 16 three years ago? And we live with that memory while we struggle to win a single game in the tournament, if we even get there?

Not surprisingly, you failed to answer the most important question. Is Jim Larranaga the only human being who can have Miami playing at a respectable level of basketball?

So he gets a lifetime contract for getting us to the Sweet 16 three years ago? And we live with that memory while we struggle to win a single game in the tournament, if we even get there?

Not surprisingly, you failed to answer the most important question. Is Jim Larranaga the only human being who can have Miami playing at a respectable level of basketball?
Don't put words in my mouth I never would give any coach a lifetime contract no matter who it is.coach L doesn't deserve to be fired right now just because things aren't looking good.Fans around have said on a regular basis that they wished that our football coaches could coach like him.Coach L will get the most out of what he has available .

Don't put words in my mouth I never would give any coach a lifetime contract no matter who it is.coach L doesn't deserve to be fired right now just because things aren't looking good.Fans around have said on a regular basis that they wished that our football coaches could coach like him.Coach L will get the most out of what he has available .

That's the scary part. The head coach determines what he has available. And in putting together his rosters, he has left us with not a whole lot available.

You people think just like Blake James when you shrug your shoulders and say, meh, this is the best we can do.

Advertisement
Back