Coach Kool's thoughts on weight

Advertisement
I get what the guy is saying an I like it for DE's but I don't want my DT's at 265. You have to have mass at the DT spots. 300 at 18 percent body fat and now we are talking. You have to have mass vs 315-325 pound OG's and Centers or you will get rolled by 3rd quarter.
You need to look no further than our OL to see this isn't true. We aren't 2 gapping. We are getting into our gaps. The faster the better! It's all about speed, strength and technique. Low pad level will keep them clean. Plus it's real hard for a 320lbs guard to get low and stay low. Remember Nikita Whitlock?

Finally, someone gets it.

- Kuligowski said he wants his linemen "at a certain body fat for their position. Like a defensive end, we want them to be 15 percent. At D tackle we want it to be 18 percent. I really don't care what that weight is, if it's 265 or 260, or is it 275 or 270 or 260. I'd rather have them be able to run all day than have an extra 10 pounds and not be able to run to the football like we want them to. They may be lighter than they were last year, but that's because they're working their *** off and getting in probably their best shape."

This, I love. One of the fundamental flaws in coach Golden's approach was his knee jerk insistence on players getting more massive.

I get what the guy is saying an I like it for DE's but I don't want my DT's at 265. You have to have mass at the DT spots. 300 at 18 percent body fat and now we are talking. You have to have mass vs 315-325 pound OG's and Centers or you will get rolled by 3rd quarter.

I don't think he meant the 260lb comment to be literal. I think he was exaggerating a little to make his point and his point is right on the money. Love this new staff.

It is also good to know that our commander in chief will not use "The U" as a stepping stone for going elsewhere. I can't remember another HC that didn't take this job with their eyes on a bigger prize?!(Maybe Howard until The USFL came calling)

What I can't understand is we are not with these kids (sorry CMR "men") on a daily basis and everyone including Coach Kool sees what the basic principles should have been since what 2010? Well I am not one to think about the past but these last 5-7 years were probably the most depressing period as a Cane I have had since Lou Saban. My point is Blake is getting a lot of credit for closing the deal. Richt wanted Miami just as much as the other way around. I heard Virginia offered him The Governorship and he still said "No"! I think his wife knew his heart was still down here which is why the "real boss" signed off on the move.

Everyone else (including Swasey which I will admit I thought he was putrid) I can move on and forget as they didn't know any better. However let's continue to keep our eye on this AD because I still think he sucks! Guy is still talking about an indoor practice bubble (yes with the August rainy season I get it) but why not aim high?

Many on here still say the new stadium is a pipe dream and maybe so. It is funny what winning does to a program. If they win again (which I know they will) I believe they will get their own stadium. I know it won't be because of Blake's fantastic fund raising efforts!

Let's just start with beating FSU. How long has that feeling been missing from our daily lives? Speaking of Muschamp wasn't that Al's only half assed signature win?

Last edited:
Advertisement
anigif_enhanced-6120-1418862408-3.gif

Thanks, Saban

Advertisement

That's if you go head up with them. See the object of the D line is to get off the block not hold up the OL like our coaches use to think. Fast DL usually has a faster first step than a fat slow OL

Finally, someone gets it.

- Kuligowski said he wants his linemen "at a certain body fat for their position. Like a defensive end, we want them to be 15 percent. At D tackle we want it to be 18 percent. I really don't care what that weight is, if it's 265 or 260, or is it 275 or 270 or 260. I'd rather have them be able to run all day than have an extra 10 pounds and not be able to run to the football like we want them to. They may be lighter than they were last year, but that's because they're working their *** off and getting in probably their best shape."

This, I love. One of the fundamental flaws in coach Golden's approach was his knee jerk insistence on players getting more massive.

Every day, every week some new info bit comes out to further reveal how excessively bad and demented the prior regime was in so many areas. Conversely every day something is revealed about this coaching staff that restores me to good ole Cane hope. Can't wait for the spring game.

Advertisement
SIAP, but I love this from Coach Kool, from Barry Jackson article: “If there’s a lot of thinking required, I did something wrong,” Kuligowski said. “You cannot ask somebody to run through a wall and then before you run through the wall, please analyze the wall and check for the weak spot. That is what your scouting report before the game is supposed to tell you... [You've got to] find the hole and the ball, and run through it... We attack and then we react."

Best quote in entire thread.

[MENTION=538]rokulika[/MENTION] can you make a gif with a pic of Kool and the words "Just Gets It" popping up? You did it for Al

I believe it was Dan E. Dangerously who made that gif.

[MENTION=1458]De Pinga[/MENTION]

Advertisement
Last edited:
Advertisement
Back