Coach Hayes Show

Indiana has an AD and then Thad Motta in charge of everything basketball.

Miami has Toretta as all sports AD and Highsmithin charge of everything football.

I can't say I hate the idea. To me, once you create a position like 'Football GM', you make our current AD position a whole lot less attractive.

What happens if Gino decides this isn't his passion anymore, seeing how he isn't really an AD and has experience in business/finance? Who would want a job like this? We could see this entire new athletic department structure completely crush all other sports at UM.

As for our Football future, I can't say I hate this idea at all. I'm only about halfway through the interview and Im definitely picking up what Zo is saying. But again, if Zo doesn't work out in this role, how do we really determine what a Football GM does? Does he hire/fire HCs? Assistants? S&C? And what future HC would want to come here and give up some control to this new position specific to UM?

In theory, I love it! But practically, how does it actually work? What happens when our Football GM and HC disagree about a recruit? Playcall? Assistants?

I'm hoping someone can actually answer this.

Advertisement
Why is it a terrible idea and why can't some of you wrap your head around a simple concept?

Indiana has an AD and then Thad Motta in charge of everything basketball.

Miami has Toretta as all sports AD and Highsmithin charge of everything football.

What is so ******* hard to understand?
I agree with you. But in everyone's defense, I think everyone has a lust to see Blake gone that the thought of him remaining in any capacity ****es them off. I get it. With that said, if you cut Blake out completely from hiring and firing decisions with regards to football, it's an acceptable alternative. Although my personal preference is to sack him for total incompetence.

I can't say I hate the idea. To me, once you create a position like 'Football GM', you make our current AD position a whole lot less attractive.

What happens if Gino decides this isn't his passion anymore, seeing how he isn't really an AD and has experience in business/finance? Who would want a job like this? We could see this entire new athletic department structure completely crush all other sports at UM.

As for our Football future, I can't say I hate this idea at all. I'm only about halfway through the interview and Im definitely picking up what Zo is saying. But again, if Zo doesn't work out in this role, how do we really determine what a Football GM does? Does he hire/fire HCs? Assistants? S&C? And what future HC would want to come here and give up some control to this new position specific to UM?

In theory, I love it! But practically, how does it actually work? What happens when our Football GM and HC disagree about a recruit? Playcall? Assistants?

What happens in the NFL? Not sure why everyone is making this harder than it has to be.

These are amazing opportunities and high paying jobs. If Gino doesn't work out there would be 500 ADs from non P5 D1 schools, plus DII, and DIII schools tripping over themselves for the job.

Maybe just maybe we are at the forefront of something (like Indiana is now for basketball) instead of hiring a **** from Minnesota State that was an AD for Maine.

I agree with you. But in everyone's defense, I think everyone has a lust to see Blake gone that the thought of him remaining in any capacity ****es them off. I get it. With that said, if you cut Blake out completely from hiring and firing decisions with regards to football, it's an acceptable alternative. Although my personal preference is to sack him for total incompetence.
Blake would be gone and replaced by two people .... Gino as all sports (except football) AD and Highsmith as Football AD.

Gino would raise 5x as much money as Blake James from Minnesota.

Advertisement
I seen him at Tenn Oakland USC...with similar talent as everyone else no thanks. I just feel he's a fraud I know he is.....his FAU teams were more talented than the rest of that conference at all times. They got the premiere transfers in that conference all the time. His offense looked amazing cause he was at Bama.
Also want to add his Manny personality won't work here......we don't need a super drill sergeant that fakes he's a drill sergeant with taking names off jerseys. We need a guy people just respect just when he walks by they don't fuq with him and they get to work.....u can have that aura about u without being a drill sergeant.....like a Saban Coughlin Judge Tomlin but the personality that makes kids sign to play for him.

Also want to add his Manny personality won't work here......we don't need a super drill sergeant that fakes he's a drill sergeant with taking names off jerseys. We need a guy people just respect just when he walks by they don't fuq with him and they get to work.....u can have that aura about u without being a drill sergeant.....like a Saban Coughlin Judge Tomlin but the personality that makes kids sign to play for him.
Rex Ryan???

If Gino doesn't work out there would be 500 ADs from non P5 D1 schools, plus DII, and DIII schools tripping over themselves for the job.

Maybe just maybe we are at the forefront of something (like Indiana is now for basketball) instead of hiring a **** from Minnesota State that was an AD for Maine.

You're missing my point. If Gino leaves, we WILL end up with some **** from Minnesota State that was an AD for Maine. They hired someone like this before, what makes you think it won't happen again, especially with, hopefully, our Football GM taking care of the sport that generates the most revenue? They will hire another 'fundraiser' and we'll be in the same position we are today, for our other sports.

As much as we like this idea, I'd go a bit further and have a smaller subset of BOT/Admin involved in decisions regarding athletics. It's clear that some in that group aren't interested in being fully involved in athletics at UM. Excusing the members who couldn't care less could save the entire group the national embarrassment they experienced weeks ago.

I still don't understand what a football GM does that any AD & HC don't do already. I not arguing with you. And, I agree with Zo on the few points I've heard. But, I forsee an issue if our Football GM and HC can't agree and our AD isn't really trying to be involved with 'football stuff'. Remember, unlike the NFL, our "owner" doesn't really give a **** about football, which is what brought us here in the first place.

And, if, our Football GM has the power to hire/fire our HC, who in the **** would want to come here and coach with a guy, who's sole job, is to look over your shoulder?

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'm not sure about the recruiting I have to ask my boy who's a coach guru
Ask this guy about Fickell as a recruiter…

What happens in the NFL? Not sure why everyone is making this harder than it has to be.

These are amazing opportunities and high paying jobs. If Gino doesn't work out there would be 500 ADs from non P5 D1 schools, plus DII, and DIII schools tripping over themselves for the job.

EXACTLY!!! And that was the point made in the podcast.

I believe the GM would have the same duties as the current AD. The only difference is the GM is ONLY focused on football, not basketball, tennis, track, soccer, baseball, womens sports, etc….

So, i dont see the GM getting involved in play calling etc. The GM’s job is simple. Do what UM has failed at for over a decade. That is to make the HC for football a desirable job across the national landscape, and subsequently hire THE RIGHT HC! How do you make the job desirable?

The GM makes sure to raise enough money to hire analysts, to continually enhance facilities, raise enough money to have a competitive recruiting budget. As wonderful as Coach Richt did getting us the Indoor Practice Facility, in the future, the HC should be able to go to the GM, tell him we need something and then it is the GM’s JOB to make it happen. Not have the HC spearheading such a thing. The GM takes care of the infrastructure! Everything you need for SUPPORT. When a HC comes to Miami, it has to be understood that they will have NUMEROUS resources to be successful and so if they fail, it is nobody’s fault but theirs, thus the GM can fire them.

Advertisement
I have read that several places several times including an analysis of the effort which was actually highly regarded (not counting results, lol) here is just one example:
View attachment 157375
Its amazing that 3 years later, Blake James and miami did precisely what that last sentence said they couldn't afford to do.

Regression in literature in the form of our Athletic Defector....but unfortunately, further proves that that last sentence is an outside opinion and doesn't coincide with what this university wants.

EXACTLY!!! And that was the point made in the podcast.
Notre Dame has it split between a football only “GM” and AD. I remember during the Cinci vs ND broadcast they were talking about the relationship Fickell had with the Ron Powlus, ND’s “football” AD.

There is precedent for ADs having Associate ADs over specific sports. It depends on the kind of authority the AD allows to the Associate AD.

I suspect in the scenario being speculated on Zo would have/want complete authority over football. But he would still have to answer to an AD. The AD would need authority to evaluate his Associate and recommend termination or extension to the Pres/BOT., etc based on job performance.

I suspect Zo would be very involved in the hiring of HC and authority he wants to give the HC to hire his own assistants, etc.

Could not imagine any HC worth their mettle coming to work under a micro managing control freak. Is Zo such a person? I don’t really know. But say he goes after a guy like Mario, he would have to let Mario do his thing and have a collaborative and respectful relationship with him but ultimately he would answer to Zo.

If Zo is such a control freak he may as well just be like Saban and be CEO and HC.

Don’t think he wants that. I am assuming Zo has seen enough of pro football organizations to know what works.

There is precedent for ADs having Associate ADs over specific sports. It depends on the kind of authority the AD allows to the Associate AD.

I suspect in the scenario being speculated on Zo would have/want complete authority over football. But he would still have to answer to an AD. The AD would need authority to evaluate his Associate and recommend termination or extension to the Pres/BOT., etc based on job performance.

I suspect Zo would be very involved in the hiring of HC and authority he wants to give the HC to hire his own assistants, etc.

Could not imagine any HC worth their mettle coming to work under a micro managing control freak. Is Zo such a person? I don’t really know. But say he goes after a guy like Mario, he would have to let Mario do his thing and have a collaborative and respectful relationship with him but ultimately he would answer to Zo.

If Zo is such a control freak he may as well just be like Saban and be CEO and HC.

Don’t think he wants that. I am assuming Zo has seen enough of pro football organizations to know what works.
I have no issue with it if an AD makes that decision. It becomes an issue when the position is created outside of the ADs purview.

Advertisement
Back