Coach D's Defensive Scheme

here's a conundrum:

Coach D is forced to use his scheme because he doesn't have the disruptive DTs he needs

but the disruptive DTs don't want to play for coach D because of the scheme he uses.

how will we break this vicious circle?

Advertisement
watch the film from Temple they did the exact same thing!

Go Canes

[video=youtube;oYf-M3HcuJ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYf-M3HcuJ0[/video]

[video=youtube;7R_a6RiMKsQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R_a6RiMKsQ[/video]

[video=youtube;YTcsSa6mwGk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTcsSa6mwGk[/video]

here's a conundrum:

Coach D is forced to use his scheme because he doesn't have the disruptive DTs he needs

but the disruptive DTs don't want to play for coach D because of the scheme he uses.

Then you adjust the scheme and show you are willing to adjust it.

those highlights Paranos showed are depressing due to their carbon copy nature to our games. TEs running all over the place; somehow holding the opposition to a FG yet losing.

I really believe that if our defense costs us games, we need a dramatic change in our defense.

We all know Golden shows compassion and preaches family. but does he have the ruthlessness to make tough decisions?

can he take Fredo out on the lake?

those highlights Paranos showed are depressing due to their carbon copy nature to our games. TEs running all over the place; somehow holding the opposition to a FG yet losing.

I really believe that if our defense costs us games, we need a dramatic change in our defense.

We all know Golden shows compassion and preaches family. but does he have the ruthlessness to make tough decisions?

can he take Fredo out on the lake?

LOL

IF OUR DEFENSE COSTS US GAMES?

Where the **** you been?

Advertisement
This isn't ******* Temple.

Kids want to be in a defense where they can carry out their biological destiny -- attack. Who wants to come sit on their heels and fight their nature? That's like putting a steak on wolf's nose and making it sit still. I'd go to LSU or Florida too if I was a recruit with no allegiance. I wanna go hunting and hit someone, not retreat at the snap. **** Dorito.

here's a conundrum:

Then you adjust the scheme and show you are willing to adjust it.

You develop the **** out of the men you have and can recruit, and scheme around their strengths. If you develop a Vince Wilfork you let him plug the middle and eat double-teams and RBs. If you develop a TE/LB into Warren Sapp you unleash ****. The players are the scheme.

When Dorito drops the ball again this year the pressure will be on Golden. I have know doubt in my mind that there will be a change. Butch saw the issue with his first DC and made the change quick. We have talent, experience, and moderate depth on defense... No excuses this year!

So D'onofrio and Golden forgot how to coach defenses for a year?

Their scheme has proven to be successful.

Advertisement
No offense intended but I think this is stupid. You really think Keith Bryant or Moten or Hooks were sitting there thinking "I'd commit to Miami on the spot if they played more man-press coverage or blitzed more out of a hybrid 3-4 look. Oh well, I'm not gonna fall for the old banana in the tailpipe." C'mon man.

probably not to the same level as fans do, but yes, it does play a factor.

for example, while we had meyer, we couldn't sign an elite tailback for **** because the perception was tailback's don't get the ball in the spread. even though under meyer we ran 60% of the time. likewise now with muschamp, he has a reputation for using a hybrid flex and rushing upfield and now we get those types of players in spades.

kids may not go deep into the x's and o's like some fans do, but they do pay attention to how they will be used. not saying this is the case 100% with miami, but if all guys are doing are tying up blocks, not many dt's want to play in that scheme. guys in 3-4's tell you all the time it's a no-glory position, one where you constantly take on double teams and get no attention unless you're being blown off the ball.

Earlier this year Golden alluded to the idea of not being married to a certain scheme. Those temple videos above are concerning. The defense will significantly improve this year, I just don't know if golden and Doritos defensive philosophy will work. This year will be telling.

But yet Alabama can get **** near anyone they want to play in their 3-4

Winning fixes everything - Nobody gives a **** about the scheme if they're winning

Earlier this year Golden alluded to the idea of not being married to a certain scheme. Those temple videos above are concerning. The defense will significantly improve this year, I just don't know if golden and Doritos defensive philosophy will work. This year will be telling.

Their defensive philosophy has worked a million different places.

Advertisement

Their defensive philosophy has worked a million different places.
Thats true. But every situation is different so we will see if they can get it to work while at Miami. I believe they can.

Winning fixes everything - Nobody gives a **** about the scheme if they're winning

THIS.

Once UM starts winning, the scheme will make sense to any incoming recruit. The last couple of years we havent had the type of athletes that would make any scheme work. Even if we had 10 DL, we couldnt get a pass rush! Golden's recruits are starting to develop and works their way up the depth charts. I'll reserve judgement on D'Onofrio until he has "his" guys in there...

alabama alternates between 3-4 and 4-3 almost on a play-by-play basis. also, they attack...a ton! kids love that and saban has also built a reputation for being a defensive genius for about a decade now, so they have clout. even saying that, if you look at bama's dt's, most aren't highly rated. cody and jesse williams for example were juco guys.

Advertisement
This **** was going on before golden and coach D got here, we had trouble getting elite DTs when randy was here, and he ran a man press defense that all these high school kids love to play in

There was a poster either here on Cane Insiders that had a beautiful technical break down of the scheme going back to Bill Parcels who actually developed it. So you may have to dig for it, I think its about a year old.

As for the scheme working at Temple, look Coach Donfrio at temple was not playing against Top FBS talent and certainly was game planning against top Offensive minds hello the MAC doesn't really come to mind when I think explosive or innovative offensive schemes. Also think about like this which is also VERY SCARY the last 3 years at Temple Al Golden had the to rated recruiting classes in the conference and they also had the largest football budget so in essence all the other teams in the conference where out matched and out spent. Yet Temple never won the MAC conference, the just posted winning records. So if defense wins championships an supposedly Donfrio had the top ranked defense in the MAC, where are the rings. The bend but don't break defense kept them in games, and then the offense ran the ball to shorten the game an that formula kept them in games an even won a few games for them against garbage teams. Now against the 2 major FBS teams they played in PSU & UCONN they kept the games close to a certain extent but in the end they where out classed by Paterno and Edstall.

The problem is that AG is not willing to get into D'Onfrio's kool aid and make him be more creative as well as understand he has better athletes an can accordingly adjust his schemes. At Temple they played the same 10yd's off zone rather then half man and attack from the field. This is why premier DT's don't want to play in his system. And these coachs are still trying to sell the UM history at DT, but it is a completely different style of play an the kids know it. So initially they get caught up in the U mystic but after that wears off an they get deeper into actual X's & O's analysis they see the scheme for what it is, and stats don't lie (bottom 100's in defense).

Then throw in that Jethro Franklin is not holding his water as a coach or recruiter, there is a reason when he left NFL and the only job he could get was at TEMPLE after having coached at USC & for several NFL TEAMS. Seriously ask that question why go an coach at Temple if your sooooo good, it **** sure wasn't the money. Now for AG he probably thought yeah I having a feeling he may not be a technically sound DL Coach (as evident of him changing jobs every 1 - 2 years, if your a killer Dline coach the HC will move heaven and earth to keep you) but his pedigree can help us recruit some better players.

So a few remedies I can see are AG sitting down with Donfrio and having a come to jesus type meeting about adjusting his defense an philosophy, then going out an hiring Kevin Patrick to coach DLine at UM. Instantly overnight UM's DT recruiting will get a shot in the arm.

Go Canes!

Here is a break of Bill Parcell's 3-4 Scheme which is what D'Onfrio models his after
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/3/13/2866624/cowboys-defense-how-does-3-4-work-part-1-bill-parcells

this entire post is worthless if you didn't also happen to mention that they were playing with "temple talent".. their competition wasn't top flight, but neither was their roster.

alabama alternates between 3-4 and 4-3 almost on a play-by-play basis. also, they attack...a ton! kids love that and saban has also built a reputation for being a defensive genius for about a decade now, so they have clout. even saying that, if you look at bama's dt's, most aren't highly rated. cody and jesse williams for example were juco guys.

I don't see their interior defensive lineman attacking. I see their linebackers and ends making plays.

this entire post is worthless if you didn't also happen to mention that they were playing with "temple talent".. their competition wasn't top flight, but neither was their roster.

i'm pretty sure temple had talent. we keep talking about the guys golden recruited at temple who became early draft picks.

Advertisement
Back