Coach Cristobal Post Game Presser (TAMU)

Advertisement
“We didn’t open up the playbook, we are saving it for UNC.”
Suspicious Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

X will be out a minimum of 6 weeks he said. Not sure if that has been reported already

Advertisement
Advertisement
Watching this press conference makes me think of Dennis Green and his famous rant of “They were who we thought they were” except Mario seems ot be applying it to us. We are who he thinks we are. A good, not great, team that plays hard.
We don’t have the playmakers at WR, and our best one is out for most of the season. That will be a problem from here on out.
Gattis will either need to coach up the WR’s (unlikely) or will need to simplify the passing game (unlikely).
Expect a lot of low scoring games and hope that our D can win some games for us.
8-4 here we come.
I will be surprised if we score more than 30 points in any game this season other than G-Tech.

Excuses man. If you don’t think you have the speed at wr stop running plays that take 5 seconds to develop. Scheme them open quicker. Or maybe a screen pass to the rb. This is on the coaches to put the players in the best position to succeed

Then it’s on them to make plays or at least catch the ball when it hits them in the hands or face mask.

Defense seems like it is able to scheme to its personnel. Offense better start real quick.

I think Mario shot straight and kept it :100:.

We won the first two games at home, decisively, but played unevenly from an effort standpoint last week and remained unproven. This week the effort was there but we made some critical errors that couldn't be overcome within the 4 quarters of this game. We weren't outclassed or outcompeted and that's what you look for in terms of the team's overall direction.

Mental errors on a big stage and not capitalizing on red-zone opportunities are completely within our control; play the giraffes for jump-balls in the red-zone and coach our guys to understand situational football a little better. This team is a better product than the one that played Alabama last season and the fact that we're upset about not winning this game says as much.

There are no moral victories in this thing and, unfortunately, we're not going undefeated this season; but what did we learn about ourselves last night? I'm a pragmatic homer who felt we might lose a game this season, but a firm believer that our ceiling as a team would be good enough to win the ACC; and after last night's game I still feel the same...The sooner we develop the confidence and character necessary to reach our ceiling, the further along we'll be in the PROCESS of becoming a championship program once again.

Now it's about what you learn and how you improve. There was only so much we were gonna learn from Bethune and So. Miss. but last night was a litmus test that we PASSED, even though the outcome was not what we wanted! A lot of people on this site get caught up in rankings and what opponents are doing, but it's about winning in conference play and who we are at the END of the season.

Now, BACK TO WORK!!!

Watching this press conference makes me think of Dennis Green and hills famous rant of “They were who we thought they were” except Mario seems ot be applying it to us. We are who he thinks we are. A good, not great, team that plays hard.
We don’t have the playmakers at WR, and our best one is out for most of the season. That will be a problem from here on out.
Gattis will either need to coach up the WR’s (unlikely) or will need to simplify the passing game (unlikely).
Expect a lot of low scoring games and hope that our D can win some games for us.
8-4 here we come.
I will be surprised if we score more than 30 points in any game this season other than G-Tech.
This is starting to resemble the 2006 season where we struggled to score more than 20 points a game, but still had a good defense. Based on what I saw last night we may not score more than 120 points against ACC competition.

Advertisement
I’ll be honest, I didn’t like how he seemed to dodge the question about TVD’s play and essentially redirected all of it back to the WRs.

They weren’t great, but that’s extremely unfair. TVD absolutely shares in that blame, he was not good last night.

He said “we don’t point fingers in there,” and then proceeds to point the finger.

Excuses man. If you don’t think you have the speed at wr stop running plays that take 5 seconds to develop. Scheme them open quicker. Or maybe a screen pass to the rb. This is on the coaches to put the players in the best position to succeed

Then it’s on them to make plays or at least catch the ball when it hits them in the hands or face mask.

Defense seems like it is able to scheme to its personnel. Offense better start real quick.
Good post. Everything in the pass game either takes forever to develop or is behind the line. The few times we went short/intermediate over the middle, it worked.

The lack of Knighton in the pass game is especially egregious.

Difference between Appalachian State and us walking into College station is they were confident they could win and we just wanted to be able to compete.
TVD looked like a deer in headlights every time he came off the field, couldn’t understand why Ponce wasn’t next to him calming him down, maybe him and Gattis were drawing up some running plays for him.

Advertisement
Watching this press conference makes me think of Dennis Green and hills famous rant of “They were who we thought they were” except Mario seems ot be applying it to us. We are who he thinks we are. A good, not great, team that plays hard.
8-4 here we come.
ACC is baddddd, how much did famu put up and app st in 4th qtr against UNC? I think they will score on us, we will need 30+ against them..

Good post. Everything in the pass game either takes forever to develop or is behind the line. The few times we went short/intermediate over the middle, it worked.

Even on the intermediate passes he threw well that were complete he put too much air under it and not enough zip and our guys didn’t have time to make plays after the catch. You zip the ball in on those and they have YAC opportunities

The other team has scholarship athletes as well, and a lot of them were highly rated 5 🌟 . With the amount of time TVD had in the pocket someone should have worked themselves open but they didn't. I could see people criticizing adjustments but we had our opportunities to score and outplayed them offensively. Way too much overreaction on this.

Difference between Appalachian State and us walking into College station is they were confident they could win and we just wanted to be able to compete.
TVD looked like a deer in headlights every time he came off the field, couldn’t understand why Ponce wasn’t next to him calming him down, maybe him and Gattis were drawing up some running plays for him.
Difference between us and App State was also that TAMU completely looked past them and knew our game was a must win for them. Yes, we definitely have issues but compare this to last years team and after the fumble on the put we would have folded and got blown out, whereas we were competitive the entire game. Hopefully we see improvements in playcalling and performance throughout the season.

If you look at the two teams last night I think Miami’s future looks much brighter than TAMU.

Advertisement
Back