Coach Cristobal Post Game Presser (TAMU)

The other team has scholarship athletes as well, and a lot of them were highly rated 5 🌟 . With the amount of time TVD had in the pocket someone should have worked themselves open but they didn't. I could see people criticizing adjustments but we had our opportunities to score and outplayed them offensively. Way too much overreaction on this.

LOL. We have now circled back to Grassy, circa 2006-2007

Advertisement
This is starting to resemble the 2006 season where we struggled to score more than 20 points a game, but still had a good defense. Based on what I saw last night we may not score more than 120 points against ACC competition.
Yeah we will. There are some awful defenses.

Watching this press conference makes me think of Dennis Green and hills famous rant of “They were who we thought they were” except Mario seems ot be applying it to us. We are who he thinks we are. A good, not great, team that plays hard.
We don’t have the playmakers at WR, and our best one is out for most of the season. That will be a problem from here on out.
Gattis will either need to coach up the WR’s (unlikely) or will need to simplify the passing game (unlikely).
Expect a lot of low scoring games and hope that our D can win some games for us.
8-4 here we come.
I will be surprised if we score more than 30 points in any game this season other than G-Tech.
Sobering

Advertisement
Excuses man. If you don’t think you have the speed at wr stop running plays that take 5 seconds to develop. Scheme them open quicker. Or maybe a screen pass to the rb. This is on the coaches to put the players in the best position to succeed

Then it’s on them to make plays or at least catch the ball when it hits them in the hands or face mask.

Defense seems like it is able to scheme to its personnel. Offense better start real quick.
Screen passes to the RB only offset pressure. Doesn’t really work on a team that sits back and holds gaps. They didn’t even try to get up field on the DL or bite on PA on the back 7-8. Didn’t bite on the flea flicker. They played disciplined to their plan.

George did take a screen and made it look good splitting defenders and we didnt see it again.

TS muffed punt ruined our game plan. We could have just kept pounding the rock but instead we got behind because of that and gave them 7 points and had to play catch up and try to force throws.

Screen passes to the RB only offset pressure. Doesn’t really work on a team that sits back and holds gaps. They didn’t even try to get up field on the DL or bite on PA on the back 7-8. Didn’t bite on the flea flicker. They played disciplined to their plan.

George did take a screen and made it look good splitting defenders and we didnt see it again.

TS muffed punt ruined our game plan. We could have just kept pounding the rock but instead we got behind because of that and gave them 7 points and had to play catch up and try to force throws.
why is he back there? There's multiple guys on the team that are more natural than him fielding punts.

Coaches made it change the gameplan. It was quarter 2 with a long way to go, they abandoned the run for long periods too early as a knee jerk reaction to that score. There was no reason to do so. The poor pass game started to put us behind the sticks.

And Mario is who we thought he was, a good coach but not so great at clock management.

I still don't get why Gattis (and I'm a fan) didn't throw the ball into the end zone, just baffling.

TVD though, played a major part in our not winning this game. He is not looking good, and did look that good when X was playing either.
He has to get right or we will have a few more losses.

Love how the d played, how we got pressure up front, and how well we ran the ball.
We're going to be fine guys

Advertisement
why is he back there? There's multiple guys on the team that are more natural than him fielding punts.
Don’t know.

I watched Restrepo and George pull that same **** last year. Not the first time TS has made a mistake back there either. I think it should be Keyshawn Smith with his ability and hes a former center fielder on the baseball field and his dad was a big league outfielder. Probably more natural for him.

Just a team that lacks a steady hand veteran presence and lacks overall football IQ.

Would be nice if someone grew a set of balls & actually asked him about this.
Yeah. We all saw it. Coming into the game I wasn’t sure where a lot of the questions about his game day coaching were coming from. I never watched him at Oregon tbh

But yeah, that was shocking to me what we saw

If you look at the two teams last night I think Miami’s future looks much brighter than TAMU.

Honestly, can you imagine being an Aggies fan—year five in the Fisher era, with all these recruits—and that's the product they're putting the field? They're a 7-5 football team this year at that rate. A new-look Miami was a few miscues away from getting out of there with a win, a week after they fell to Appalachian State.

There isn't a single player to pass blame on. Special teams, TVD and the WR's along with Gattis' slow developing passing game.

Folks should have expected growing pains with an offense that is way more complex than the one we were running last year. TVD was accurate last year. Now he and the WR's are struggling due to the complexity of the offense. They were spoiled by simplicity last year. Lashlee's run game is so simplistic everybody knew what we were running and it was too easy to stop.

TVD is processing info too slow and it is causing him to throw late or inaccurately, or not even progress to WR's that are clearly more open.
The offense is more complex for the WR's as well.
The offense is not quick enough in the passing game and the plays are slow developing.

Our OL and defense kept us in the game and our special teams ruined it. If our OL and defense keep playing like that we will always be in the game.

Think of the points swing in this game without the muffed punt by Stephenson (biggest play in the game) and the 2 FG's blocked and missed. The blocked FG by Borregalas was kicked way too low and the miss was just plain bad.

Advertisement
Watching this press conference makes me think of Dennis Green and hills famous rant of “They were who we thought they were” except Mario seems ot be applying it to us. We are who he thinks we are. A good, not great, team that plays hard.
We don’t have the playmakers at WR, and our best one is out for most of the season. That will be a problem from here on out.
Gattis will either need to coach up the WR’s (unlikely) or will need to simplify the passing game (unlikely).
Expect a lot of low scoring games and hope that our D can win some games for us.
8-4 here we come.
I will be surprised if we score more than 30 points in any game this season other than G-Tech.
People are forgetting this is year 1 of rebuild in Mario’s tenure. People think it’s instant cafecito now that Mandy is gone. How many years did it take Saban and Dabo to get going? People need to be real, and have realistic expectations for a year or two. We already see progress in the physicality and discipline, it needs to continue. Good recruiting needs to continue. Good coaching needs to continue. I love Mario’s keeping it real.

Good post. Everything in the pass game either takes forever to develop or is behind the line. The few times we went short/intermediate over the middle, it worked.

Shades of 2016 when it took 4 consecutive losses for Richt to finally change the offense to suit Kaayaks strengths.

there's a reason why 10% of us said 8-4....this **** is gonna take time.
all new regimes get time to figure it out - this one should be no different.

Advertisement
Don’t know.

I watched Restrepo and George pull that same **** last year. Not the first time TS has made a mistake back there either. I think it should be Keyshawn Smith with his ability and hes a former center fielder on the baseball field and his dad was a big league outfielder. Probably more natural for him.

Just a team that lacks a steady hand veteran presence and lacks overall football IQ.

Yeah I remember the frustration with Berrios because he wasn't an explosive returner, but one thing you could rely on is he didn't muff punts. I'm willing to give up a home run threat for someone who just fields punts cleanly.

Difference between Appalachian State and us walking into College station is they were confident they could win and we just wanted to be able to compete.
TVD looked like a deer in headlights every time he came off the field, couldn’t understand why Ponce wasn’t next to him calming him down, maybe him and Gattis were drawing up some running plays for him.
App state held on for dear life. Anyone watching the app st game knew ATM was the better team just kept shooting themselves in the foot. We did the same thing ATM did the week before. We play them 10 times we prob win 7.

This is starting to resemble the 2006 season where we struggled to score more than 20 points a game, but still had a good defense. Based on what I saw last night we may not score more than 120 points against ACC competition.
Probably also why we are playing so. Slow. Mario may not trust the offense enough to go faster. Faster 3 and outs mean the defense is on the field longer and more possessions. So we go slow, we reduce the number of possessions and the defense can play faster because its not playing as long.

Advertisement
Back