Clint Hurtt as DC??

Advertisement
If Miami hires Clint Hurtt as DC, then that means that the budget isn't what we were led to believe. No way do you pay top dollar for Clint Hurtt, a guy that was a mediocre at best defensive line coach. There are far too many quality guys out there, that would be a better choice than Hurtt. That said, we don't know a **** thing about who is getting hired, so it's all conjecture.

Advertisement
I don't want to "cape" (that's the hot term now, right?) for Hurtt, but everyone needs to soft pedal on the notion he's a bad DL coach. First, save for maybe a couple folks, most here can't assess d-line play. Next, position coaches look crappy under crappy head coaches. ****, ironically, Cristobal was not particularly well perceived here as an OL coach when he was here and now we'll run through a wall for him. Same for Pannunzio and Stoutland who both allegedly sucked while they were here but then got hired by the king himself. A more recent example . . . T-Rob was supposedly the best DB coach in the country last offseason and now 85% of the board thinks he stinks and if he leaves somewhere he leaves. Point being, I can't recall any position coach that we've liked here since the 2001 team.

Nothing against Hurtt, just think we can do better with the resources we have allotted. Hurtt has been in the discussion to be Mario's DC numerous times but has never once been hired... think it's a smokescreen.

I don't want to "cape" (that's the hot term now, right?) for Hurtt, but everyone needs to soft pedal on the notion he's a bad DL coach. First, save for maybe a couple folks, most here can't assess d-line play. Next, position coaches look crappy under crappy head coaches. ****, ironically, Cristobal was not particularly well perceived here as an OL coach when he was here and now we'll run through a wall for him. Same for Pannunzio and Stoutland who both allegedly sucked while they were here but then got hired by the king himself. A more recent example . . . T-Rob was supposedly the best DB coach in the country last offseason and now 85% of the board thinks he stinks and if he leaves somewhere he leaves. Point being, I can't recall any position coach that we've liked here since the 2001 team.
1. I can tell when a D-Line sucks. I watch way too much tape. 2. 85% of the board are stupid if they believe T-Rob stinks. And its certainly not 85% of the board.

Because at least Schumann has been a part of an elite defense (recently) and has had the CO DC title. So even if he didn’t call plays all game, every game I bet he has called more plays than Hurtt. I’m assuming it was some portions of games where he Lanning and Smart probably allowed him to call plays (blow outs, lower opponents) Also, Schumann is known as an elite upcoming defensive mind in CFB.
But that’s just it, Schumann hasn’t called plays, either. Neither of them have. So in that respect, they’re even. Schumann been a part of elite college defenses that are both stockpiled with the best talent that money can buy, so he knows elite defense. He’s on the fast track to coaching stardom I believe. Hurtt has coached in the NFL, so he’s been around some high level defensive guys as well. The whole gah**** league is elite. I believe he’s been there around 5 yrs and from what I know about THAT LEAGUE, is that they don’t keep muhfuccas around too long if they don’t know what the **** they doin. But folks around here, act like Hurtt been coaching pee wee league for the last 5 years. CIS logic is weird, man.

Advertisement
Anyone with two working eyes could see that Stoutland was the goods. Nice job trying to create a narrative the didn't exist. Pannuzio's issue was recruiting, not coaching. Hurtt was a mediocre at best DL coach that got in trouble with the NCAA. Let's cut the nonsense.

But that’s just it, Schumann hasn’t called plays, either. Neither of them have. So in that respect, they’re even. Schumann been a part of elite college defenses that are both stockpiled with the best talent that money can buy, so he knows elite defense. He’s on the fast track to coaching stardom I believe. Hurtt has coached in the NFL, so he’s been around some high level defensive guys as well. The whole gah**** league is elite. I believe he’s been there around 5 yrs and from what I know about THAT LEAGUE, is that they don’t keep muhfuccas around too long if they don’t know what the **** they doin. But folks around here, act like Hurtt been coaching pee wee league for the last 5 years. CIS logic is weird, man.
This is why I'm fond of Belk

Schumann has rode the coat tails of Kirby and has helped buy the best players in the nation beating inferior talent each and every week. Then they face Bama and get smoked

Doug Belk is growing on me because he's doing things with average comparable talent to the teams they face

From the get go I wanted Jim Knowles badly. Ohio state got him quick though

You got my dying right now - your argument is well written…but it’s “cap” not cape 😂😂💀

Anyone with two working eyes could see that Stoutland was the goods. Nice job trying to create a narrative the didn't exist. Pannuzio's issue was recruiting, not coaching. Hurtt was a mediocre at best DL coach that got in trouble with the NCAA. Let's cut the nonsense.
No. That is not correct. I've been on this board a long time and folks on here cussed Stoutland out repeatedly. He coached under Randy and everything and everyone under Randy looked like trash. The idea that this board of all places was complimentary of Stoutland but critical of everything else Randy is the narrative, not my recollection. I welcome anyone else on this board from 07-010 to recall what was generally perceived of Stoutland. I mean, I could be wrong, but I don't think I am in terms of this board's perception of him.

Advertisement
No. That is not correct. I've been on this board a long time and folks on here cussed Stoutland out repeatedly. He coached under Randy and everything and everyone under Randy looked like trash. The idea that this board of all places was complimentary of Stoutland but critical of everything else Randy is the narrative, not my recollection. I welcome anyone else on this board from 07-010 to recall what was generally perceived of Stoutland. I mean, I could be wrong, but I don't think I am in terms of this board's perception of him.
People cuss out coaches in the heat of the moment, but there were a ton of people mad when Stoutland left. People noted that the quality of line play dipped after he left, because despite him not being a superman on the trail, he was a strong technical coach.

Advertisement
I hope this is one of those misinformation things coaches do when they’re trying to run a quiet and tight ship.

Sometimes they only tell 1 person the info to see if it leaks

People cuss out coaches in the heat of the moment, but there were a ton of people mad when Stoutland left. People noted that the quality of line play dipped after he left, because despite him not being a superman on the trail, he was a strong technical coach.
Right, because our assessment of coaches change as time goes on and they go elsewhere and seemingly look good. Look, I don't know if Hurtt is any good or not. I have no opinion on that. But, dudes much smarter than me must think he's at least a capable position coach b/c he has ascended from an assistant DL coach with the Bears to their LB coach and then he's been with Pete since 2017. He can't be as bad a position coach as some here have suggested. Holding down a position coach job in the NFL for 5 years ain't too shabby.

Should he be a 1st time DC? Probably not. Would it be the end of the world? Probably not.

I am going with what I was first told. The access to the Oregon coaches probably got them hired first, but you hire coordinators first. I don't care if they can recruit, but they have to be HR coaches. Maybe these coaches didn't go through HR and **** tests until arriving Mon. or Tues. and someone changed their mind. I doubt it. Now to the real talk here, Hurtt got a show clause for his Shapiro crap here less a decade ago. These people haven't forgiven BBB and they are going to hire Hurtt. Name a school that has ever done this? Mario is a God if that happens.

Right, because our assessment of coaches change as time goes on and they go elsewhere and seemingly look good. Look, I don't know if Hurtt is any good or not. I have no opinion on that. But, dudes much smarter than me must think he's at least a capable position coach b/c he has ascended from an assistant DL coach with the Bears to their LB coach and then he's been with Pete since 2017. He can't be as bad a position coach as some here have suggested. Holding down a position coach job in the NFL for 5 years ain't too shabby.

Should he be a 1st time DC? Probably not. Would it be the end of the world? Probably not.
I’m lukewarm on this but this is a rational take. Lots of overheated fans in this thread.

Advertisement
Back