Clint Hurtt as DC??

This hire would suck. I know that won't be popular, but I always call it like I see it. Worth the wait? No, not even close.
I think this is a pretty valid point. For all this secrecy and waiting, promises of large budgets etc., I’m (and many others) are expecting big hires. Guys that make you say “****, that was absolutely worth the wait. Let’s go tear up the ACC”

Hurtt doesn’t do that. A lot of other names don’t either. So let’s see what Mario has up his sleeve.

Advertisement
Schumann has been credited with being a big part of the construction of UGA's current defense. Throw in being a current big time recruiter and LB coach, a place that we've been weak and it seems like an optimal fit. Hurtt you'd be leaning on "he's been in the NFL" and what he did recruiting 8 years ago. Is Hurtt known as a good defensive mind? I have no idea.
Does Schumann call plays, yes or no?

High level pros and cons

Pros: Elite recruiter when he was in college; worked under a defensive guru (Carroll); highly thought of in the NFL

Cons: Lack of play-calling experience; hasn’t had to recruit in years

You can be highly thought of as a person or a position coach but have no business being in the running for a coordinator job. Even said, i'm not a fan of him as a DL coach, let along DC. I wasn't a fan of his DLines at UM and haven't been in Seattle. The title of AHC doesn't mean a lot to me. If he was so respected in the NFL, he would have been a DC by now. He's probably well liked - seems like a fun, likeable guy on the videos out there, but that doesn't make one to be slam dunk qualified.

Also, i think someone early in this thread put up an article that he was interviewed for the DC job in Seattle. So he was passed over for that on his own team?

One more thing - as much as i love Pete Carroll as a coach, and i do, he hired both his sons to be on his staff in Seattle. He also has uncle Jethro on staff as well. Nobody is perfect in how they builds staffs or view their assistants. Sometimes it's about comfort, friendships and knowing you're on the same page with system.

Advertisement
I’m gonna say it’s 50/50 nobody knows sHT and there’s a very good chance that we have no clue who will be hired..

Yea he parlayed his way into Asst HEAD COACH of an NFL team through the good ol boy system I guess huh…..Man these days a Black coach gotta turn water into wine for someone to respect their resume

Skin color has absolutely NO place in this discussion. Mason has been supported by many. Belk some been supported by some. Yet bc they don't like Hurtt, it's because he's black? Poorly played.

Does Schumann call plays, yes or no?
There’s a huge difference though. Schumann is a extremely important guy in their gameplanning and he’s had other offers to be a DC. He just tuned them down. He might even get the playcalling at UGA. Hurtt is years removed from college and his unit in the NFL is trash. There’s not even a comparison to Dorsey.

Advertisement
I have no inside information or particular access to information that others don’t have.

So take the following with a grain of salt.

But my sense of this is that Hurtt is an NFL guy and he wants nothing to do with college anymore, unless it is a huge upgrade for him not just monetarily, but careerwise.

My guess is that the DC at any P5 university is not what he’s looking for. He had his run in college, I just think he wants to stay in the NFL. I could be wrong, like I said, this is just my sense of things.

Which is why I'm not buying the Dorsey or Hurtt rumors
The Dorsey rumors I buy because he’s a highly thought of guy and is probably going to be an OC next year. He’s already the passing game coordinator. You can assume he’s an actual candidate because he played here. This is probably the only college job he’ll take. Hurtt on the other hand has done nothing to prove he can be a competent DC and we already filled the position he coached.

Advertisement
Which is why I'm not buying the Dorsey or Hurtt rumors
is it okay to say that I want neither here?

Dorsey doesn't really seem like a dude who wants to be in college and that's okay. you can focus on coaching in the NFL where you can't in college. it isn't for everyone.

Hurt - barf. im good.

I know Navarro on a pod with Feldman I think says that Mario interviews a ton of dudes before making a decision so names will leak from that.

For what reason?

Everything we’ve been told is he’s doing this the professional way. What net positive is there of playing misdirection with the media, when it’s been said here the OC/DC has been done?
Say it’s schulman and people get wind of it prior to NC game could be a distraction

Say it’s schulman and people get wind of it prior to NC game could be a distraction

why hasn't UGA announced their replacement as DC for PLanning? maybe Schumann is still in consideration for the sole DC role there and he hasn't accepted anything here yet

Advertisement
Not a fan of either Hurtt or Drosey TBH. Hurtt from my recollection was primarily known for his recruiting prowess and would feel iffy handing the keys to this offense/ TVD to a first time play caller.

Not a fan of either Hurtt or Drosey TBH. Hurtt from my recollection was primarily known for his recruiting prowess and would feel iffy handing the keys to this offense/ TVD to a first time play caller.
the hires this year are huge bc of the down conference and the return for likely one more season of TVD. we have a. chance to really immediately contend due to the down conference even if its an aberration in terms of where we are in actuality.

why hasn't UGA announced their replacement as DC for PLanning? maybe Schumann is still in consideration for the sole DC role there and he hasn't accepted anything here yet
Maybe but you said why would they leak false info that was just one reason why. Obviously none of us know either way

Advertisement
Back