Clemson vs Ohio State

M3N, you are right on target. The support staff budget is the biggest thing, IMO. There is no NCAA limit on support staff. It's only limited by your financial resources. Bama is the leader of the arms race, and I question whether UM can compete in funding suppirt staff. I think we are well behind the curve and will probably always be struggling to catch up.
Alabaga spent $49M on football this year. The other 3 playoff teams spent between $27-29M. And those are football powers that Alabaga is nearly doubling in spending. Imagine the disparity between Alabaga and most non-playoff teams.

Sabag runs his program like an NFL team. As long as they're allowed to outspend the competition like that it's going to be tough. And that $49M doesn't even include the bags they hand out.

Advertisement
M3N, you are right on target. The support staff budget is the biggest thing, IMO. There is no NCAA limit on support staff. It's only limited by your financial resources. Bama is the leader of the arms race, and I question whether UM can compete in funding suppirt staff. I think we are well behind the curve and will probably always be struggling to catch up.

The ACC network next year will help, but it will only do so much. It really comes down to how bad the school wants it. If MIAMI is committed to winning we will.have a chance to catch up. CMR would need full control as well.

It also comes down to how much our fans really want it.
And by that I don't mean by logging on to a Canes board to bytch and moan about our coaches.
It means showing up to games, contributing to the program,etc.

Alabama and alot of the perennial power programs have more folks show up to a spring scrimmage
then we have for a home game.

Also, our folks have to do more with less.
That's just the way it will work if we want to win.

M3N much of what you say is very true, but spending money on football isn't cheating. All that matters is Saban is about to win his 6 National Championship and that is what players look at. Alabama use brute force in recruiting and football, but they do it within the rules. They just don't pay players and before everyone points out some used sports car, you need to understand that students can use their student loans to buy cars. My wife did so while on a full athletic scholarship, so a football player can too.

...not so fast..

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back