Clemson throw back screen

oracleturts

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
The YouTube recommended Miami vs NC State highlights to me. NC state scored on the throw back screen to the left side that Clemson scored first with when we got slaughtered by them. What is most concerning is that, it is also what Clemson scored with when we played them in 2019 too.
It’s the fake QB power right and throw back to the Wr on the left side of the field with 3 lineman to block..

Given our propensity to whiff on this play, I’m sure we will be guaranteed to see again this year.

Advertisement
It's the type of play that'll burn any team that doesn't have it in their own play book so they can practice against it. Im 33 and we ran that play when I was in high school and scored every single time we ran it.

loop poop GIF by Mauro Gatti

It's the type of play that'll burn any team that doesn't have it in their own play book so they can practice against it. Im 33 and we ran that play when I was in high school and scored every single time we ran it.
The Scout team runs plays that the opposing team will use during the week of the game v 2 deep defense

there is no excuse with 80+ scholarship kids on the team who are highly rate prospects that are in first or second year who are more than capable of running this now that we have good depth.

Garcia is going to be a great scout qb this year. Sorry to the Garcia slurpers but he’s not going to be 2nd in the depth chart when we have a future sure thing in the nfl With all the physical traits the nfl wants in a qb….ie van dyke who has been looking better then king in preseason. I love king but if hes playing conservatively due to the acl injury is not what we want vs bama. King will start but id feel equally confident in van dyke starting vs bama. I’d put van dyke in for a couple series to see how he does cause he puts the football perfectly into receivers hands

fyi I still think garcia will be a good qb but I don’t see him staying next year when van dyke is named starter

Last edited:
The Scout team runs plays that the opposing team will use during the week of the game v 2 deep defense

there is no excuse with 80+ scholarship kids on the team who are highly rate prospects that are in first or second year now that we have good depth.

It's a fricking trick play. You're not going to have enough time to teach the scout team offense every possible trick play every team can run.

They usually work against aggressively coached defenses because the heavy pursuit takes you right out of the play.

If the play is in your own playbook it's much easier to defend because you see it more often than not.

Not sure the point of your post because it didn't make a lick of sense.

Advertisement
It's a fricking trick play. You're not going to have enough time to teach the scout team offense every possible trick play every team can run.

They usually work against aggressively coached defenses because the heavy pursuit takes you right out of the play.

If the play is in your own playbook it's much easier to defend because you see it more often than not.

Not sure the point of your post because it didn't make a lick of sense.
They ran it multiple times before and we get beat by it multiple times. Our players are not being thought to recognize plays and tendencies which is how u can diagnose plays you haven't seen run before

We played Clemson in 2019?

That type of play is designed to take advantage of overly aggressive defensive lines. With a little better discipline, hopefully we won’t get caught off guard by that type of thing too often

They ran it multiple times before and we get beat by it multiple times. Our players are not being thought to recognize plays and tendencies which is how u can diagnose plays you haven't seen run before
So 2-3 times in what? 7 years is supposed to be a tendency?

Do we know what other trick plays Clemson uses and has success? How do we prepare for those?

How do we know we weren't preparing for the trick plays they used in the current season and they pulled that 1 on us?

How much time can the coaches use trying to prepare the team for every single trick play Clemson has used in the last 10 years?

Come on now.

It's unrealistic, what you're asking for. We need to be focused on stopping their regular **** offense. If they have to result to trick plays to score that's a win for the defense.

The YouTube recommended Miami vs NC State highlights to me. NC state scored on the throw back screen to the left side that Clemson scored first with when we got slaughtered by them. What is most concerning is that, it is also what Clemson scored with when we played them in 2019 too.
It’s the fake QB power right and throw back to the Wr on the left side of the field with 3 lineman to block..

Given our propensity to whiff on this play, I’m sure we will be guaranteed to see again this year.
Easy. Miami counters with halfback pass in snow storm.

60% of the time, it works everytime.

Advertisement

And Clemson scored their first TD on it in 2015, out of the same!!!...exact!!!...*******!!!...formation!!!

Such a slow developing play, too, should be easy to defend.

Counter, Reverse, Bootleg, & QB Throwback, we taught our kids that in Pee Wee ball.

So 2-3 times in what? 7 years is supposed to be a tendency?

Do we know what other trick plays Clemson uses and has success? How do we prepare for those?

How do we know we weren't preparing for the trick plays they used in the current season and they pulled that 1 on us?

How much time can the coaches use trying to prepare the team for every single trick play Clemson has used in the last 10 years?

Come on now.

It's unrealistic, what you're asking for. We need to be focused on stopping their regular **** offense. If they have to result to trick plays to score that's a win for the defense.
we got beat by a different team with the same play. teams run **** against u that other teams did to see if u adjusted. we dont

Nothing you said in this post was a counter to my points.

We can't even stop Clemson regular offense and you're in here debating about trick plays. It's silly.

Stop talking to me

Advertisement
How many times did we run the fake QB power/easy toss to a wide open back for huge gains last year? After the first time we ran it, it was on film yet opponent after opponent would still take the bait. It’s because good offensive coordinators set up plays like that. You can prepare for stuff all the time but once an offense pulls you into a false sense of confidence, that’s when you get hit by those types of plays. 99% of the time it’s because you get too aggressive and you’re looking to make the big tackle for loss and it gets easy to disregard your assignment.

Our horrible alignment was the first clue that the people actually calling the shots or had real input didn’t know ****. So the people who did know stuff weren’t being heard. You’re gonna **** me the guys on here can spot our awful alignment but Ed Reed can’t? They weren’t listening or he wasn’t speaking

Advertisement
How many times did we run the fake QB power/easy toss to a wide open back for huge gains last year? After the first time we ran it, it was on film yet opponent after opponent would still take the bait. It’s because good offensive coordinators set up plays like that. You can prepare for stuff all the time but once an offense pulls you into a false sense of confidence, that’s when you get hit by those types of plays. 99% of the time it’s because you get too aggressive and you’re looking to make the big tackle for loss and it gets easy to disregard your assignment.
I had this exact thought about the fake dive, toss over the top. It’s all about the play caller. Good play callers set teams and certain guys up and unless they are looking for it, not much they can do half the time.

Our horrible alignment was the first clue that the people actually calling the shots or had real input didn’t know ****. So the people who did know stuff weren’t being heard. You’re gonna **** me the guys on here can spot our awful alignment but Ed Reed can’t? They weren’t listening or he wasn’t speaking
Can’t hear him because he’s only there on gameday lol. He’s my favorite football player of all time but about as relevant to the game plan as Sebastian week to week. He’s just there for show.

Every trick plays success falls on one simple principle.

Did your player play his assignment.

You play assignment football, you'll stop the trick play. It's human nature though to think the play is going the other way while the offensive player knows its coming to them.

It happens to the best teams they get tricked, lulled to sleep, think the play is over on their end, etc.

It sucks when it happens to your team. It's great when you're the one tricking the other team.

Agreed. A running QB puts fear into a defense like no other. We saw Lashlee do things last year where he set up those QB fakes for big gains by using the same look on King's designed runs. Even when King's runs went no where, defenses still had to react to it.

Advertisement
Back