Clemson struggle is real......

Clemson doesn’t recruit a lot of volume at CB but they get highly ranked kids.

In 2017 they got 4 star AJ Terrell and another 4 star kid in LeAnthony Williams. In 2018 they signed 2x4 Star CBs in McMichael and Goodrich. In 2019 they signed a 5 star kid in Booth and another 4 star kid in Sheridan Jones. This year they got 5 star Fred Davis. That’s only 7 kids in 4 years but all 4 star or above.

Advertisement
I was surprised how little pass rush they got outside of blitzing their lb’s, those supposed 5* d-ends they got a few years ago were pretty much neutralized all game..

I'm not since any OL will typically beat up any DL when you're playing 3 down 75 percent of the time. The numbers aren't in you favor at all and as the game wore on, they got worn out. Midway through the 3rd, they were gassed.

I'm not since any OL will typically beat up any DL when you're playing 3 down 75 percent of the time. The numbers aren't in you favor at all and as the game wore on, they got worn out. Midway through the 3rd, they were gassed.
That is true but I was specifically talking about their ends like Thomas #3, I focused on him most of the game and he couldn’t do squat when he was one on one, he was neutralized pretty easily

Advertisement
lsu had the best WR group in the country--Chase, Jefferson, Marshall and TE Moss.. And Joe was the best QB in CFB!!

That WR group dismantled EVERY secondary they faced..

Reason why I say this is bc they never have any lock down corners at all. They have the same problem we have with rump not being able to lock down any great corners. They've always had great dline and great Lb but corners are not in there formula. But I def think they will be alright for a few yrs to come. There recruiting class def is going to surprises people.
You seem like a guy that's about 5'7"? Just a hunch.

Advertisement
I think there Dline and lb were there strength. The only player even worth drafting from the secondary was number 11 I think don't remember his name.
Number 11 is a linebacker....I know it's hard for our fans to realize this but that's how u look at linebacker. When u mistake number 11 for a DB u know we have fell far. That's actually how they are suppose to look. Dude was an extra DB out there

Last edited:
Reason why I say this is bc they never have any lock down corners at all. They have the same problem we have with rump not being able to lock down any great corners. They've always had great dline and great Lb but corners are not in there formula. But I def think they will be alright for a few yrs to come. There recruiting class def is going to surprises people.
I don't think we need a thread for this. We have enough of our own issues. However, since it's football talk so be it.

First of all, I wouldn't call what they have a struggle. They had/have one of the best defenses in the nation. It took a bunch of future 1st round draft picks from LSU to make them look bad and that didn't happen every series and when it did the coverage was generally good. Burrows was just better.

Secondly, Clemson signed the #3 overall CB from Jacksonville in their 2020 class. They're not hurting for players.

Thirdly, they are so dominant in their front 7 that it's difficult for any team to exploit even mediocre play at CB.

Lastly, I conclude to say that traditionally Clemson DBs are very aggressive and that provides opportunities for big plays if you can keep your QB upright long enough for the plays to develop.

Advertisement
I was surprised how little pass rush they got outside of blitzing their lb’s, those supposed 5* d-ends they got a few years ago were pretty much neutralized all game..
Certain schemes that coaches implement to their players can neutralize even the best defensive units though. Just look at when the Patriots beat the Rams in the 2018 super bowl. The rams had three first round picks in. Just a unbiased opinion. I'm a loyal Jets fan;

Ndamukong Suh, Michael Brockers, & Aaron Donald. Suh has been known as one of the better if not best overall defensive linemen in college and the nfl - when it comes to sacking the quarterback especially. Michael Brockers was known more for his ability to help stop the run but was drafted in the first round as well; Obviously with way the rules benefit the passing game the rams had the plan of him becoming into a dominant pass rusher to. & Aaron Donald is known one of the best [if not the] defensive linemen at sacking the quarterback.

But the patriots offensive line with the system Bill Belichick uses has helped Tom Brady play in the league for 20 seasons. Also everyone always criticizes the roster moves the patriots always make as well, even with the resume the Bill Belichick and Tom Brady has achieved.

When I MEAN struggle I mean struggle on the back in. Everything else is locked DOWN from now until 2025.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back