Clemson perspective…

As some know I have a lot of Clemson ties. I was at game Saturday. My family has lots of ties and season tickets.

@DMoney brought up a point on his podcast weeks ago. We aren’t good anymore but because of our past success and 30 for 30s, we don’t get any overlooks by teams. We get teams best shots.

So it’s double whammy because we suck and we never really get overlooked.

Obviously Mario was brought in to build the program to handle this and expectations and win big.

I listen to Clemson radio and the feeling there is Clemson played their best half of the year against Miami. From being up for game, and the execution it was as good as DJ U played all season. They were talking about his accuracy in this game was off the charts. From Being at game and being at other games I can agree with this.

He was decisive in read option game as well as any game this year too.

Now listen to what I’m saying Clemson didn’t need their A game to beat Miami, but they played their a+ game in 1st half.

DJ was inaccurate last week vs. Louisville on slants, and in this game he looked like Aaron Rogers.
“That was the best half of football I’ve ever seen played by a team”

Dabo Sweeney talking to his team during half time on October 24 2015.
A game that will live in infamy.

Advertisement
I think most teams/fans hate us, but I don't necessarily believe that they play their best game against us every year. That was probably more true from 2002-2006 when we were still viewed as relevant.

Now, there are a few teams every year that "get up" for our game or play their best game against us. One would be FSU, which is our rival. North Carolina is another team that seems to always be up for our game. Possibly because Mack Brown loathes us so much and his players see that and play inspired? But if you are telling me that Georgia Tech, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Duke (I know they whipped us this year) and every other team on our schedule mark the Miami game as their "biggest" game every year, I just don't believe that.

As for this Clemson game, they didn't overlook us because they absolutely had to win this game in dominating fashion to stay in the hunt for the playoffs. Honestly, I didn't think Clemson played that great, we just played like crap. Now, the 2020 game vs Clemson, Dabo was trying to prove something. Seemed personal to him in that game. This year, Clemson just needed a solid win, and we came along at the right time for them. Dabo actually seemed uninterested in this game. If he wanted to crush us, he would have gone for it on 4th and inches when they were up 21-0 at the time. We hadn't stopped them yet on any short yardage situations, but he decided to punt.

Clemson also turned the ball over multiple times and had a muffed punt that they recovered. They played pretty sloppy at times. Obviously, we made things super easy for them with our pre-alignment snaps. We are so easy to scheme against. How many times did we allow Clemson to stay on the field because we couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. Clemson was just running simple plays that took advantage of our alignment and personnel. On offense, we had very little creativity in our play calling. We made things really easy for Clemson.

So no, I am not buying that every opponent (outside of FSU and maybe a couple other teams) on our schedule circles our game as their most important game of the season. Most teams look good against us, because we make it that way for them, not because they actually play their hardest and "best" against us.

As some know I have a lot of Clemson ties. I was at game Saturday. My family has lots of ties and season tickets.

@DMoney brought up a point on his podcast weeks ago. We aren’t good anymore but because of our past success and 30 for 30s, we don’t get any overlooks by teams. We get teams best shots.

So it’s double whammy because we suck and we never really get overlooked.

Obviously Mario was brought in to build the program to handle this and expectations and win big.

I listen to Clemson radio and the feeling there is Clemson played their best half of the year against Miami. From being up for game, and the execution it was as good as DJ U played all season. They were talking about his accuracy in this game was off the charts. From Being at game and being at other games I can agree with this.

He was decisive in read option game as well as any game this year too.

Now listen to what I’m saying Clemson didn’t need their A game to beat Miami, but they played their a+ game in 1st half.

DJ was inaccurate last week vs. Louisville on slants, and in this game he looked like Aaron Rogers.
I still can't get over the fact that fat, slow **** ran for 89 yards and a TD on us. Good god we've fallen so far.

Advertisement
The last couple times we've played Clemson they've made us look like a Pop Warner team. Schematically and talent-wise they are miles ahead of us.

I've had this conversation before with someone, every team we play they play flawlessly and execute with pristine precision. They never drop passes, never fumble, never miss field goals.

Stick a fork in it, we had a good run.

Advertisement

The amount of mistakes on both sides of the ball this team made makes me wonder if some of those players are not even trying. For example, it‘s ridicolous watching a guy like Mallory trying (or not even) to block sb. Can’t watch it.

Last edited:
There so much ugly in this video and it pretty much sums up what I been seeing with the naked eye on Saturday’s. We’re at a disadvantage scheme wise on Offense. On Defense most of our issues stem from players either making mistakes, staring in the backfield, losing gap discipline, or getting out leveraged ( playing blocks with the wrong shoulder). But on O…. this **** is painful dog. Ween even got a chance, men. Gattis ain’t got no business running an offense at this level. His offense make no sense, He don’t use early plays to set up plays for later, no use of motion to gain an advantage, or to set plays up. He seemingly haven’t told the QB’s where the **** “hot” reads are, when they see a blitz coming. Too many long developing pass plays when it’s not needed. Someone said it earlier that it looks like he’s just pulling plays out of a bag, and that’s true.

I was talking to a buddy about this exact same thing watching games on Saturday. How does Illinois, Vandy and South Carolina hang with or beat bigger schools but Miami gets gang raped against every top team lol It's because the Miami name still rings and we are still hated. Every time Clemson plays us Dabo is trying to score until the very last second. They don't do that against anyone else. Miami is still gets the "Superbowl" treatment even though we suck.

Advertisement
Whenever we line up against Clemson, it should be a sobering reminder of the talent differential between us and the top of the conference.

There is no scheme that is bringing our players up to that level, right now. We have not had coaches bring in the right kind of talent and have yet to coach them up, motivate them enough, to come close to a team like this. Clemson may not overlook us, but they beat the fvck out of us like we're the ******* step child of Duke.

Last four games.

58-0
38-3 (in a ******* championship game lmfao)
42-17
40-10

lmfao

don't ever talk to me about talent when those are the results against the top of your conference.

Also, haven't beaten North Carolina in four seasons lmfao.

We are so far off from whatever our goals are.

Coach Hayes my dog too I watched them breakdowns every week except for FSU game lol, but I'll make sure to check it out today

Let me know when u do; it’s a fascinating piece, & it’s y I rewatch games myself to see is it players, play calls, a combination or what. Coach Hayes & I be on the same page a lot.

We’ve been beating ourselves a lot this yr. Ppl r right, we don’t have a talent issue, we have an IQ issue, & b/c we’re not a team, we have a communication issue. One thing I know in sports, u can have a roster full of all stars; if that locker room is f’d up, the play on the field/court/diamond will be f’d up.

Advertisement
Let me know when u do; it’s a fascinating piece, & it’s y I rewatch games myself to see is it players, play calls, a combination or what. Coach Hayes & I be on the same page a lot.

We’ve been beating ourselves a lot this yr. Ppl r right, we don’t have a talent issue, we have an IQ issue, & b/c we’re not a team, we have a communication issue. One thing I know in sports, u can have a roster full of all stars; if that locker room is f’d up, the play on the field/court/diamond will be f’d up.
Yea for sure, and that's one thing I noticed multiple times each week is guys just seem lost or guessing out there on the field. Same issue I see with IMG that all star team should never lose with the amount of talent there but a group of individuals brought together each year doesn't mesh well all the time.

Not defending Gattis in any way, shape, or form, but Steve breaks this play down nicely. This should be, at absolute worst, a 6-7 yard gain to Ladson throwing into the blitz. It is very easily a 20 yard gain throwing to Mallory on the post. And it’s a touchdown if he goes to Skinner on the flex fade. But we do none of the 3, and we take a safety.

This **** is SO deflating. We can’t do anything creative, and when we do have the right call for a defense, we can’t execute. Even when we don’t even do anything creative, and the defense blows a coverage like they did to Restrepo on the first drive, we can’t execute. It’s a poorly coached, poorly played game every single week. We have a long, long, long way to go. This right here is exactly how you go 5-6.

There so much ugly in this video and it pretty much sums up what I been seeing with the naked eye on Saturday’s. We’re at a disadvantage scheme wise on Offense. On Defense most of our issues stem from players either making mistakes, staring in the backfield, losing gap discipline, or getting out leveraged ( playing blocks with the wrong shoulder). But on O…. this **** is painful dog. Ween even got a chance, men. Gattis ain’t got no business running an offense at this level. His offense make no sense, He don’t use early plays to set up plays for later, no use of motion to gain an advantage, or to set plays up. He seemingly haven’t told the QB’s where the **** “hot” reads are, when they see a blitz coming. Too many long developing pass plays when it’s not needed. Someone said it earlier that it looks like he’s just pulling plays out of a bag, and that’s true.
Have we run a single screen play this year when a team is showing blitz? It seems we always have guys running 20 yard routes downfield and the quarterback has no chance.

Advertisement
Back