Clemson - Hiring Riley from TCU

Again, you got me.

Riley and Gattis won the Bryles as OCs. Maybe you show us the "hot OC" polls to prove your point? And I guess we gave him, what $1.8 million as there was no market?

Or who was discussed as potential HC based on OC perceived results?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not championing Gattis. My original point is that this is a desperate hire by Dabo. Maybe it works, maybe not. But he is scrambling. Just look at Clemson's offensive performance metrics and recruiting.

Again, sorry folks, facts.
So Day was desperate when he fired his dc last year I guess…no, that’s just what programs with elite standards do, to improve their deficiencies and get rid of the weakest link

Advertisement
It is 100% easier hiring coaches when your previous coordinators have a history of moving on to better jobs. If GR gets a head coaching job in a year or two OCs will be lining up to be the OC at Clemson.

Unfortunately we have the opposite problem

better jobs or promoted coaching positions?

This thread
Frenchman assemble!!!
France Francais GIF by Budgy Smuggler

Advertisement
Advertisement
Whelp time to start facing the reality that Gattis just might be in fact coming back

Shocking as I would have bet TVD would have bolted immediately without concrete certainty that things would change
That time was day after season ended.

Advertisement
Again, you got me.

Riley and Gattis won the Bryles as OCs. Maybe you show us the "hot OC" polls to prove your point? And I guess we gave him, what $1.8 million as there was no market?

Or who was discussed as potential HC based on OC perceived results?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not championing Gattis. My original point is that this is a desperate hire by Dabo. Maybe it works, maybe not. But he is scrambling. Just look at Clemson's offensive performance metrics and recruiting.

Again, sorry folks, facts.
Whether Riley is a good hire or not remains to be seen. I guess that can be argued. What is indisputable, IMO, is that Dabo is at least trying which is commendable. Here, on the other hand, Gattis is still inexplicably on the staff more than a month after the season ended and after bowl season has ended.

I guess our definitions of “hot OC names” are different. Gattis wasn’t on anyone’s top 20 lists for the job. I don’t remember his name being brought up once as a candidate prior to the leaks that he was being looked at for the job. People got excited because we stole the OC from a playoff team.

There’s no comparison between Gattis after last season and Riley after this season IMO. Riley is the hottest name for OC vacancies right now. Gattis was never that.

Gattis was being looked at for the HC job at Virginia.

I don't really hear Riley's name for any P5 head coaching jobs.

Advertisement
Mario is living in the past as far as college football is concerned and is not adapting. As much as many of you criticize Dabo he recognized his offense needed an massive improvement and went out to make a major change. Our offense was about the worst in the past 40 years and it looks like Mario is doing nothing. He can't recruit WR's at all and our offense is so boring too. Dabo out maneuvering in the coaching ranks and it's so sad. To say that I am disappointed that Gattis is still part of this staff would be an understatement.

Advertisement
Back