Clemson Game

anyone have a good suggestion on where to stay at Clemson ? I was considering staying somewhere near campus and renting a house with a bunch of guys but have no clue what its like there

Advertisement
Right near the campus there are a few things going on, college bars, restaurants, etc. Get too far away from there and its just countryside, unless you get back to the interstate, than there are a few more hotels and bars.

If you like BBQ, try to go to the Smokin Pig. Pretty good stuff. There are a couple of locations, I think the one in Pendleton is the best.

There's a lengthy thread on this I'm sure you can find back from when we played them up there in 2020. Do a search, you'll find good info.

anyone have a good suggestion on where to stay at Clemson ? I was considering staying somewhere near campus and renting a house with a bunch of guys but have no clue what its like there
Not many options. Unless your budget is unlimited, you better lock up a house now. Or rent an RV or a couple of RV's, depending on the size of your group.

I should have added, don't even think about staying in a hotel there. The places are dumps and game weekend pricing is beyond ridiculous. If I recall correctly, there is basically one hotel within a decent drive from campus and it sucks. Even though it's a dump, I think it was $350/night plus.

Advertisement
How close do you want to stay to the stadium? Clemson has a few hotels and Seneca would be your closest bets with being around restaurants. You have Anderson which is prox 30 mins away. Easley and Greenville has plenty of places for you to stay with things to do as well.

If you don't mind staying a little further away, Lake Keowee is very nice even during the fall. Also, second the reco on the Smokin' Pig. I have been there multiple times (pre and post remodel) and it is very good BBQ.

Last edited:
anyone have a good suggestion on where to stay at Clemson?

Not near this gentleman

2y6c94.jpg

Nice Courtyard that I stayed at with some friends that went to Clemson. About a mile and half from campus.

Not gonna find many houses close to campus. If you’re ok with driving a bit (30-40 min) Greenville SC would have lots of options. Decent little town with bars, restaurants, etc but not like the college town strip near the stadium.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Right near the campus there are a few things going on, college bars, restaurants, etc. Get too far away from there and its just countryside, unless you get back to the interstate, than there are a few more hotels and bars.

If you like BBQ, try to go to the Smokin Pig. Pretty good stuff. There are a couple of locations, I think the one in Pendleton is the best.

Have not been to the Pendleton location, I've been to the Easley location many times (closer to Greenville). What's your ranking of the locations?

I also love Smoky Dreams on Woodruff.

Have not been to the Pendleton location, I've been to the Easley location many times (closer to Greenville). What's your ranking of the locations?

I also love Smoky Dreams on Woodruff.
Honestly, they're probably very similar, I have just been to the one in Pendleton the most. My preference, I guess.

One of my favorite BBQ places in the upstate is actually off Pelham Rd. in Greenville. SBH BBQ is the name and it is very good.

I have heard that John Lewis is opening a Texas style BBQ place in Greenville, and his Lewis BBQ joint in Charleston is ridiculous.

Advertisement
I should have added, don't even think about staying in a hotel there. The places are dumps and game weekend pricing is beyond ridiculous. If I recall correctly, there is basically one hotel within a decent drive from campus and it sucks. Even though it's a dump, I think it was $350/night plus.
Not sure what you mean by a decent drive from campus, but Greenville is 25 miles away. Many fans drive a lot farther than that for home Canes games. Nicest fans I've come across in the ACC when we are away. That includes when we beat them there a few years back.

Not sure what you mean by a decent drive from campus, but Greenville is 25 miles away. Many fans drive a lot farther than that for home Canes games. Nicest fans I've come across in the ACC when we are away. That includes when we beat them there a few years back.
I'd agree, before they started winning big. Had a great time there in about 2008. That's where my family all met my wife's family for the first time and we had a great time, everyone was fantastic, although there was a lot of griping on both sides about the officiating in that game. I'm not sure if you went to the ACCCG, but I was extremely turned off by that experience, as well as many other experiences with their fans, including watching us play them in bars in SC. Success has changed them.

I haven't been there in quite some time, but used to go to UM games at VT with some frequency back when I lived in MD, those were great fans, but that also seemed to change with time. Frankly, that was pre-ACC days.

Anyway, in Miami, if you want to stay close to the stadium, there's not really a reason you need to drive more than 4-5 miles to stay in a pretty nice hotel for a reasonable rate. If you want to stay near the beach or something in particular, sure, you can drive 25+ miles, but that's by choice and generally is also just a few minutes from getting into your car and onto the highway where you're doing 80 most of the way to your destination. Not exactly the same at Clemson. If I'm going to what I hope to be a big game, I'd prefer to avoid a long commute from the stadium after the game, but that's just me. Greenville is not a bad option at all, nice hotels and lots to do there, but I'm guessing it's going to be at least an hour from the time you get to your car to arriving at the hotel.

Find a nice lake house if you can within a few miles of campus, but if you want that, you better book now (or more likely the day the schedule came out). That's just my recommendation. Everyone has different priorities.

Honestly, they're probably very similar, I have just been to the one in Pendleton the most. My preference, I guess.

One of my favorite BBQ places in the upstate is actually off Pelham Rd. in Greenville. SBH BBQ is the name and it is very good.

I have heard that John Lewis is opening a Texas style BBQ place in Greenville, and his Lewis BBQ joint in Charleston is ridiculous.

I know exactly where you are talking about, I've been to Bacon Brothers multiple times in the past, I had a long-term work assignment up there once and I lived off of Pelham and Haywood.

What the **** happened to Saskatoon Steaks on Haywood down by 276? It used to be a bad-*** place with all kinds of wild game...have they subdivided that building? That place is...unusual...something out of the Pacific Northwest, but plopped down on a busy commercial road down the street from the biggest mall in Greenville.

EDIT - looks like Lewis Barbecue is just north of downtown, on 276. May not QUITE be open yet, but almost there.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back