Clearly they did not consult with Dominique Nwoko...

In most fields, a degree from the University of Miami carries a lot more weight than a degree from a giant, public, diploma mill school. Regardless of what US news says. And I went to a giant, public diploma mill school.

Advertisement
It’s not a gold standard.

Here‘s a well resourced and researched standard. Published yearly by UMass.

Let me know what you think. This is a measure comparing only private universities.

View attachment 121053
I’ll have links later.

Please note, public universities are not included in this ranking. Million different ways to look at this, but comparing like to like, and research, which in my opinion is one of the primary missions of a University, along with educating students obviously, makes this measure an important one
Not sure I agree with George Washington being higher ranked than Georgetown and I have one of my degrees from GW. Georgetown was always number 1 in DC followed by GW and then American, where I also have a degree from.

Not sure I agree with George Washington being higher ranked than Georgetown and I have one of my degrees from GW. Georgetown was always number 1 in DC followed by GW and then American, where I also have a degree from.

I’ll have to link it and you can review their criteria. They have different rankings, they also have another where they mix public and private universities. I don’t think the position in that list is as important as the fact of what company you keep in the top 25 or the top 50.. They’re using strictly measurable research ranking metrics, includes funding dollars, which is part of research, but also things like median SAT, and faculty National Academy members.

This would also be biased to favor hard sciences, for example no one would claim Miami law is better than Georgetown or GW law. But in the “hard sciences” Miami has a top reputation.

Here are some of the criteria:

7A052C5F-1025-4318-B069-7A66EE9412C2.jpeg

My entire point here is some people are saying Miami has a similar academic reputation to similarly ranked schools in the USNWR, and at least in science, and among academia, that’s just not true.

You can always find different raking methodologies, but in the state of Florida, as far as overall academic reputation, it’s UM, and another unnamed university, and the rest are far behind.

Last edited:

Let me know what you think. This is a measure comparing only private universities.

View attachment 121053
I’ll have links later.

Please note, public universities are not included in this ranking. Million different ways to look at this, but comparing like to like, and research, which in my opinion is one of the primary missions of a University, along with educating students obviously, makes this measure an important one

What I think is that I never heard of these rankings, and that's the point.

Advertisement
So UM should promote the UMass rankings to show they are better than what people think? I think that's a loser's game. Thomas Cooley Law School famously put out their own law school rankings a few years back countering U.S. News that showed they were the number 2 law school in the country.

View attachment 121053
I’ll have links later.

This list seems highly suspect. Emory is ahead of Princeton. Miami is ahead of Rice. That’s like me seeing some analyst’s list of NFL QB’s that has Jimmy Garoppolo ranked ahead of Lamar Jackson. Sure, perhaps by some twisted metric such as “completion percentage on 2nd & 17 or longer in the 3rd quarter of road games” that may be true. But I cannot see how some of these rankings are so woefully disparate from the consensus.

Advertisement
This list seems highly suspect. Emory is ahead of Princeton. Miami is ahead of Rice. That’s like me seeing some analyst’s list of NFL QB’s that has Jimmy Garoppolo ranked ahead of Lamar Jackson. Sure, perhaps by some twisted metric such as “completion percentage on 2nd & 17 or longer in the 3rd quarter of road games” that may be true. But I cannot see how some of these rankings are so woefully disparate from the consensus.

The criteria they use is clearly listed. This is from UMass, they have no agendas. It’s a measure of where school ranks regarding academic research. Just because a school has a certain name, doesn’t mean that they’re the best at research. At least according to these criteria. I don’t know what else to tell you.

Miami is a better school than you probably think it is, especially when it comes to the sciences and research. If you have any data that shows those other schools are better at academic research, I’ll be more than happy to look at it.

So UM should promote the UMass rankings to show they are better than what people think? I think that's a loser's game. Thomas Cooley Law School famously put out their own law school rankings a few years back countering U.S. News that showed they were the number 2 law school in the country.

That is the most convoluted logic I’ve seen on here. You’re better than this

That list wouldn't even be used for toilet paper in any legitimate academic circle. Straight laughable.

Advertisement
Why? You like the USNWR criteria better?

1. Unsurprisingly, your logic is failed. The fallibility of one thing does not make another thing automatically credible.

2- Go away, stalker. As stated many, many times I find you uninteresting, transparent, and I have no wish to interact with you in any way. Not sure if you've noticed, but I haven't responded to a single post of yours in ages, short of writing this type of reply when you come to stalk me.

I thank you kindly.

That list wouldn't even be used for toilet paper in any legitimate academic circle. Straight laughable.

didnt look at his list but the US news rankings aren't great measurements either. Again, the quality of education at miami has not gotten worse. Frenk should've played the rankings better in his time here, but maybe the next person will

Advertisement
didnt look at his list but the US news rankings aren't great measurements either. Again, the quality of education at miami has not gotten worse. Frenk should've played the rankings better in his time here, but maybe the next person will

Agree.

1. Unsurprisingly, your logic is failed. The fallibility of one thing does not make another thing automatically credible.

2- Go away, stalker. As stated many, many times I find you uninteresting, transparent, and I have no wish to interact with you in any way. Not sure if you've noticed, but I haven't responded to a single post of yours in ages, short of writing this type of reply when you come to stalk me.

I thank you kindly.

Oh I don’t know just five times you’ve responded today, so you not responding to a single post is kind of a stretch, don’t you think, Mr. 1,100 fOoTbALL pLaYerS aRe GOiNg tO diE

Also, you know **** well your little post was directed at me. Don’t even try to lie about that. And guess what, the way it works is, I get to respond to whatever posts I feel like responding to.

Last edited:
The logic is clear: nobody cares about these "alternative" rankings. USN is the gold standard. You can be mad at how bad their methodology is all you want, but it's the reality.

Gold standard implies quality. They may be the most popular, and shame on UM for not doing what’s necessary to game the system, but their rankings are deeply flawed.

Like I said, the top 20 or 30 are a no brainer, it’s when you get to the second-tier schools where the methodology creates some unusual pairings. No well informed prospective employer, or academician, thinks that FSU is academically equivalent to the University of Miami, and it’s not even close. For many jobs, it really doesn’t matter what school you graduated from, I could be UF, FSU, orUM, but where employers have slightly more selective criteria, school‘s academic reputation does make a difference

Advertisement
Back