Class size question

You get to 85 with not taking 10 kids from the portal! Sign 25-27 kids out of HS in 2020. If you must take a portal kid, take 1-2 OL that have shown they can play P5 ball. You also get to 85 by taking talented PWOs like kickers, Marshall Few, Ragone... and give them ships after two years on campus. PWOs who have been on campus for two years don't use counters. Lastly, you retain kids for 3+ years. Cager, Hightower, D Smith, Mahoney, Boulware, Asa Martin... we needed those kids as they all used a counter to get to Miami.

Not playing kids like #15 until 4-5 games into the season speak to why some kids have left early. Beyond that, it does come down to finding kids that are a good fit for the culture you are trying to create in the lockerroom. Getting an offense that can score more than 21 points a game will allow us to get up big and play more of the roster every weekend.

Imo you’re rarely going to find OLs in the portal who’ve shown they can play Power 5 ball.

And 15 player in every game, he just wasn’t starting.

Advertisement
Imo you’re rarely going to find OLs in the portal who’ve shown they can play Power 5 ball.

And 15 player in every game, he just wasn’t starting.

Not only was he not starting, he was hardly playing. 10-15 snaps a game isn't playing much when you look at the impact the kid is having now. Vs. Pitt he had 3 sacks and a TFL on the QB. Point is simple, find the 3* 6'6 kids playing WR/S that can be developed into a DL. Heck, I bet 15 could play TE better than Mallory! There are talented kids all over the state of Florida. Do the work to find them, evaluate them, and sign the kids you feel like can play in your scheme at the level you need.

The goal to get to 85 is a worthy goal but pretty much unattainable the way this program recruits and is run today. Recruiting a bunch of flaky teenagers who expect to start immediately, never redshirt, and quit (or threaten to) at the first sign of adversity will never get a program to 85. Big time programs also "grayshirt" players - something I don't believe Miami does (or likely could do with any good recruits). I could be wrong but I believe Miami is at 75 scholarships today. Those extra ten guys would be great don't get me wrong but a lot of programs aren't at 80-85 all the time. If Miami could today immediately take on a bunch of additional scholarship players (they can't) all they would be looking for seriously would be 2 offensive linemen, a kicker, a cornerback, 2 running backs, and 2 linebackers. The roster has a pipeline on the defensive line, a lot of receivers who never see the field, a rash of players who left early who would have been key contributors in 2019 and a rash of injuries at linebacker.

As for transfer offensive linemen - the ones in the portal usually aren't what is needed. There were a handful of high profile guys like Parker Braun or Landon ****erson and the rest were quitters or guys who got passed up by younger talent. The only easily identifiable linemen to target for transfers are guys like Braun who were good starters undergoing a coaching and scheme change, or guys like ****erson who were moonshots because of their injury history. Realistically all Miami could do to find transfer offensive linemen is to poach programs who turned over staff or poach players who were decent starters, got hurt, and then lost their starting job. Programs like Wisconsin instead focus on developing athletic big boys over 2-4 years.

Miami has to start retaining it's recruiting classes. The roster today is incredibly messed up. There is a dearth of Junior and Seniors on the offensive side of the ball and the awesome 2018 class is quickly becoming a bunch of transfers.

Last edited:
All I care about in recruiting and getting to the full 85 rn is who we get on the O line, we need about 7-8 new bodies from either the portal, juco, high school..we got a goose egg from 2016 and 2017 class so far is looking like a bust, and those should be our upper class man for this year and next year..

Last edited:
Being at 85 is unrealistic in today’s world of transfers and quitters. But we need to sign as much as we can this year and next to properly fill out the roster. Too many positions with no competition.
That’s what I’m getting at and was trying to have someone who knows more than I do tell me the number we can sign.

Advertisement
It was a legit question man, not a pipe dream at all.
25 initial counters, you can inflate that number by counting recruits, namely early enrollees, toward the prior year’s initial counters if that prior year’s number allows you to do so. You’d have to take a harder look into the roster makeup than I’m willing to at this hour to see our true “max” for the 2020 class plus there are rules questions regarding transfers i.e. I’m fairly certain that Asa Martin counts as a counter for 2019 so his spot, even though non-vacant for only a matter of months, is not something we can use a 2020 recruit to count back towards 2019’s numbers.

Edit: Grammar

Don’t think OP meant we need to be at 85 it’s almost impossible but trending towards more full year to year would be nice. I mean starting a walk on at LB for the U?

Don’t think OP meant we need to be at 85 it’s almost impossible but trending towards more full year to year would be nice. I mean starting a walk on at LB for the U?

Yeah, I realize we can't sign a class of 35, I know the max for a class is 25 just wondering if anyone had an actual idea about how many we can count as EE's towards last year's number.

If only we could oversign with the knowledge that we will always lose players to transfers and drafts.

Advertisement
Not only was he not starting, he was hardly playing. 10-15 snaps a game isn't playing much when you look at the impact the kid is having now. Vs. Pitt he had 3 sacks and a TFL on the QB. Point is simple, find the 3* 6'6 kids playing WR/S that can be developed into a DL. Heck, I bet 15 could play TE better than Mallory! There are talented kids all over the state of Florida. Do the work to find them, evaluate them, and sign the kids you feel like can play in your scheme at the level you need.
Man why didn’t they think of that when it’s that easy

Man why didn’t they think of that when it’s that easy

Sarcasm is priceless.

They are too busy chasing portal kids to turn things around fast. The portal will kill Miami in the next 1-2 years if Manny grabs more than 2-3 kids this year. Too easy for kids to leave now so you have to grab HS kids and have back up plans for plan A kids. This is where Rumph and Banda suck as they swing for Plan A with no plan B/C kids.

Advertisement
Back