Class size question

Advertisement
A certain amount of signees are allowed to be counted towards the previous year as long as we have not gone over 25 total the previous year.

We are way under the 85 scholarship limit so how many kids can we take in this class? I know there are rules about max class sizes and early commits counting against the previous year.

Please abandon the pipe dream of "countbacks" to the prior year class.

Transfers count as Initial Counters.

We would be lucky to have 27 IC spots, including early graduates.

People just need to stop with the delusion that we would ever be able to sign 30, and we are never getting to 85 unless we have UNBELIEVABLE retention on our signing classes.

Advertisement

People just need to stop with the delusion that we would ever be able to sign 30, and we are never getting to 85 unless we have UNBELIEVABLE retention on our signing classes.
Hence the redshirting of a few players.

That's about right. I think we have 26 total for 2020, but I could be off by 1 in either direction. 85 is an aspirational number that only a handful of programs manage to hit. With the current transfer and IC rules, if we could stay at 80+ for 3 straight years, I would be thoroughly impressed.

We can sign however much we need. In 2012 we signed 33. In 2008 or 2009, Ole Miss signed I think 38. You can sign as many as want.
No you cant. There are initial counters that unless you took a very small class the year before which we didint or unless u plan to take a very small class the year after which we wont you cant overuse. In 2008 we signed 32 players but thats because in 2007 we only signed 18.

Advertisement
Advertisement

It was a legit question man, not a pipe dream at all.

Honestly with the rate of underclassmen declaring the only way we will get near 85 is with some kids taking a redshirt. Or we luck out with more juniors staying the next few seasons.

Advertisement
Being at 85 is unrealistic in today’s world of transfers and quitters. But we need to sign as much as we can this year and next to properly fill out the roster. Too many positions with no competition.

You get to 85 with not taking 10 kids from the portal! Sign 25-27 kids out of HS in 2020. If you must take a portal kid, take 1-2 OL that have shown they can play P5 ball. You also get to 85 by taking talented PWOs like kickers, Marshall Few, Ragone... and give them ships after two years on campus. PWOs who have been on campus for two years don't use counters. Lastly, you retain kids for 3+ years. Cager, Hightower, D Smith, Mahoney, Boulware, Asa Martin... we needed those kids as they all used a counter to get to Miami.

Not playing kids like #15 until 4-5 games into the season speak to why some kids have left early. Beyond that, it does come down to finding kids that are a good fit for the culture you are trying to create in the lockerroom. Getting an offense that can score more than 21 points a game will allow us to get up big and play more of the roster every weekend.

Advertisement
Back