Class of 2022

This post ought to be worn as a badge by anyone who said "but we have the talent" the last couple years. We did not. We had SOME talent, but not THE talent. Mario has whiffed a ton in the portal and he can own that, but the high school side he has done very well.

Here's what I think is most important moving forward: We need to retain our studs.

Advertisement
This development thing is scary. I've seen very few instances of kids getting better. It's time for some of these OL/DL/DB/WR/LB to finally take the next step this year. I won't add RB or QB because those are portal players.
Pretty tough to determine if development has happened when we are talking mostly about kids who will be true sophomores this fall. Totally agree with your 3rd sentence though regarding some players taking a step forward.

Tough to judge development when the entire coaching staff has been turned over as well

Then it’s like well if you’re recruiting top talent what’s coaching and what’s just a player being good? I dunno. I think one way is to look at the talent being brought in cumulatively and the record of the team. Incomplete for me at the moment but I agree the 2023 class is the one that should give some ananswers
I have thoughts, but I'm locked in until October.

Not blaming Mario for this as Manny had mailed in recruiting completely but I’ve seen people continue to complain we have to rely on the portal…well I hate to do this to everyone but strap in

1. Cyrus Moss - portal Oregon offer
2. Kelly - portal Oregon offer
3. Jaleel Skinner - portal Oregon offer
4. Chris Graves - portal
5. Citizen - tough break here Oregon offer
6. Khamauri Rogers - portal
7. Wes Bissainthe - mixed career so far but trending up Oregon offer
8. Markeith Williams - who? Portal?
9. Jacurri Brown - I ain’t saying ****
10. Isaiah Horton - trending up but we will see Oregon offer
11. Jaden Harris - solid so far we will see
12. Matt McCoy - long term could be a player
13. Ahmed Moten - shrug Oregon offer
14. Colbie Young - portal Mario recruit
15. Cooper - stud
Just in general, coaches don’t have time to build relationship and get to know their character off the field, a lot of those guys end up getting pushed out after a year or two.

There was a pretty good article on it a few years back about the numbers behind it.
Cut the ****! He was recruiting 8 out of the 15 kids to come to Oregon. He was late night texting majority of the class for months, probably years. I didn’t include the linemen, they didn’t have Oregon offers but I remember there was a relationship.

The portal guys are his. The portal is the portal.

Advertisement
Cut the ****! He was recruiting 8 out of the 15 kids to come to Oregon. He was late night texting majority of the class for months, probably years. I didn’t include the linemen, they didn’t have Oregon offers but I remember there was a relationship.

Yeah I said as much in another post

Mario had been building relationships for a while with a lot of them but same time it was a collective effort to **** up this bad

As you can see I tried to have a rational discussion about it but it took one post before Mario was white knighted 😂

The program is in a way better position today than in 2022 - and trending upwards. That point is inarguable. So not really feeling the tenor of this post.

you said it before me...I aint excusing sh*t...thats all on him especially the portal guys.

The few guys fromt he class hopefully become leaders.

The culture was set after that class though so there is an uptick and upward trajectory believe we can see less attrition.

Advertisement
The program is in a way better position today than in 2022 - and trending upwards. That point is inarguable. So not really feeling the tenor of this post.
Then you’re creating something from it that’s not there

That’s on you not me

you said it before me...I aint excusing sh*t...thats all on him especially the portal guys.

The few guys fromt he class hopefully become leaders.

The culture was set after that class though so there is an uptick and upward trajectory believe we can see less attrition.
This wasn’t meant to be a blame game

It’s for some perspective

We’ve had enough blame game threads here

that wasn't his first class. really weren't his kids.

2023 and 2024 are the foundation. next year we will really start to see the effects

These were 100% his kids. Like wtf? Lol. We praised him for coming in & not only salvaging this class, but actually recruiting this class.

Mario hired on 12/6/2021

-Kelly (committed on 12/15/2021)
-Skinner (committed on 12/17/2021)
-Lichtenstein (committed on 12/17/2021)
-Moss (committed on 01/08/2022)
-Ladson (committed on 01/15/2022)
-Parrish (committed on 01/16/2022)
-Moultrie (committed on 01/24/2022)
-Sagapolu (committed on 01/26/2022)
-Citizen (committed on 02/02/2022)
-McCoy (committed on 02/02/2022)
-Moten (committed on 02/02/2022)
-Cooper (committed on 02/02/2022)
-Porter (committed on 02/24/2022)
-Agude (committed on 03/26/2022)
-Denis (committed on 04/10/2022)
-Mesidor (committed on 04/20/2022)
-Johnson (committed on 04/22/2022)
-Jackson (committed on 04/26/2022)
-Young (committed on 06/19/2022)

73% of this class was on Mario’s time. Like let’s stop revising history. That’s the most annoying chit ever.

Transitional classes never really do well

This is not 100% factual; while it’s true translational classes tend to be a thorn in the side of many, there’s plenty of examples of translational classes being just fine, including Mark Richt. It could arched The 2016 transitional class was better than the 2017, & 2018 classes despite being lower in rank. We had some misses in Bruce, Irvin(g) II, Wright, Allison, Mullins, but absolute hits in Richards, Pinckney, McCloud, Quarterman, Young, Homer, & Jackson.

We also went 9-4 that season. With the advent of the portal, coaches can now hit the ground running like never b4. It’s why a Brohm, DeBoer, Lanning, etc. can come in & take off.

Advertisement
that wasn't his first class. really weren't his kids.

2023 and 2024 are the foundation. next year we will really start to see the effects
I guarantee you were hyped about Mario “saving the class” when it happened. The worst part of it is, he sacrificed hiring a staff to prioritize recruiting these kids.

This is not 100% factual; while it’s true translational classes tend to be a thorn in the side of many, there’s plenty of examples of translational classes being just fine, including Mark Richt. It could arched The 2016 transitional class was better than the 2017, & 2018 classes despite being lower in rank. We had some misses in Bruce, Irvin(g) II, Wright, Allison, Mullins, but absolute hits in Richards, Pinckney, McCloud, Quarterman, Young, Homer, & Jackson.

We also went 9-4 that season. With the advent of the portal, coaches can now hit the ground running like never b4. It’s why a Brohm, DeBoer, Lanning, etc. can come in & take off.

Wasn't really focused on the Portal when talking about it. Really just high school players since most of the time they only have a couple weeks to build out a classes compared to a full year.

Advertisement
I guarantee you were hyped about Mario “saving the class” when it happened. The worst part of it is, he sacrificed hiring a staff to prioritize recruiting these kids.
I think we all were just hyped for the changes

I won’t hold it against someone for letting out a little hopium after being **** for so long but heading into 2024 we are still feeling it from this class for sure unfortunately

And he has back to back arguably top 5 classes, the reigning acc fresh of year and cam ward here. Honestly I didn’t even want Mario hired but recruiting has taken off since he has been hired.

Advertisement
Back