Class of 2017: updated as of 6/11/20

3969068.0.0.jpg

Gibson (6-1, 185) gave his pledge to Mark Richt during an unofficial visit to UM on Tuesday afternoon.

“When I got the offer in January, I knew that Miami was the school I was going to go to,” Gibson told 247Sports.com national recruiting analyst Ryan Bartow.

Gibson is the second safety Miami has committed in the 2017 class, joining Jacksonville Bolles prospect Ahman Ross. Gibson discussed what he will be bringing to the UM defense.

"I'm a safety that can play in the box and make a lot of tackles or I can play deep against the pass," Gibson said.

Gibson says his next order of business is recruiting two of his Southridge teammates, cornerback Shawn Davis and linebacker Nadarius ***an to join him at Miami.

"I'm going to do everything I can to make sure they join me at Miami," Gibson said. "I'm going to be recruiting them hard."

Gibson is rated a three-star safety by the 247Composite.

Welcome to the U, Billy Gibson

By Cameron J. Underwood  @UnderwoodSports on Feb 16, 2016, 2:37

Miami Southridge S Billy Gibson is the latest player to commit to the Canes. - 247Sports
A top talent from local Miami Southridge HS, Safety Billy Gibson is the latest player to commit to the University of Miami.

 TWEET SHARE PIN
Miami added a top talent to the 2017 class when Miami Southridge S Billy Gibson Jr. committed to the Canes.

Billy Gibson commits to Miami #Canes
— Peter Ariz (@PeterAriz) February 16, 2016

Boom!!!! 305!!! #Squad17 pic.twitter.com/KRFnpxDIYP
— Eric Josephs (@EJo305) February 16, 2016

This class will be the one to get us back to our national championship status! Who else is coming?! pic.twitter.com/3FvmG7Q4DV
— Mike Rumph (@CoachRumph16) February 16, 2016

My favorite character "Billy the Kid" in on of my favorite movies! pic.twitter.com/ctfyfw1lXs
— Ephraim Banda (@CoachBanda) February 16, 2016

The just got better! Welcome to the family. #NoFlyZone pic.twitter.com/kRAgErADsL
— Thomas Brown (@iamthomasbrown) February 16, 2016

#Canes get a nice local commitment from Southridge safety Billy Gibson. He's on campus with teammates CB Shawn Davis and LB Nadarius ***an.
— David Furones (@DavidFurones90) February 16, 2016

Who's Next? #Squad17 pic.twitter.com/Af3eOeLRGb
— Eric Josephs (@EJo305) February 16, 2016

pic.twitter.com/kHq53juQfO
— Mike Zuckerman (@Coach_Zuck) February 16, 2016

Chris Henderson told me last week that Billy Gibson was going to be a priority. Henderson committed Friday, and today Gibson pulls trigger

Could there be more coming? Mayyyybe.

This also helps Miami's chances with Southridge CB Shawn Davis, who is on campus with Gibson #Canes

Gibson, a 6'1" 185lb athlete, is a very good player whose stock is sure to rise through the Spring Evaluation window. Gibson has the ability to be a factor in run support and pass coverage. Many who follow recruiting in South Florida have Gibson as one of the top defensive backs in this class. Adding him to this class is a big get for Miami.

2017 Southridge Safety Billy Gibson should excel in Manny Diaz's scheme. In-the-box player with range (6-2). Great get for #Canes

On top of that, Southridge is L-O-A-D-E-D with talent. They're one of the teams that has benefited most from incoming transfers in all of South Florida. By getting Gibson, Miami has begun to open a pipeline to Southridge, a school from which many former Hurricanes have come. That, my friends, is a good thing.

While Gibson only holds offers from Miami, Nebraska, and Syracuse at current, expect that list to explode through the spring and his senior year.

Gibson ended 2015 with 64 tackles, 2 sacks, and 1 interception, which he returned for a touchdown.

B-zysRbUYAAcnzM.jpg

hudl | ESPN | 247 | Rivals | Scout | Twitter
BILLY GIBSON
Southridge Varsity Football, Miami, FL

@ridgepride_21
HEIGHT: 6'1"
WEIGHT: 175lbs

Opening Miami 2015

Billy Gibson
DB
FL
Southridge

5-11.5
SH: 4.92
PB: 30
Vert: 29

Really hope he improved on those numbers since then...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
2017SQUAD030716.jpg

6 canes on Southridge!

CI18PEvWIAEBev5.jpg

WR: Rodney Scott - 3/7/16 (hudl | Scout | Rivals | ESPN | 247Sports | Commits)

2017 4-Star WR Rodney Scott Commits To Miami Over Alabama, Florida State, Georgia
Andrew Holleran

Rodney Scott, a four-star wide receiver in the 2017 class, has committed to Miami.

The 6-foot, 167-pound prospect out of Miami, Fla. is ranked the No. 46 WR in the class and the No. 312 player overall by 247 Sports’ Composite Rankings.

He picked the Hurricanes over Alabama, Georgia and Florida State, among others.

#Miami #Canes have landed a commitment from 2017 WR Rodney Scott (Southridge High). Impressed at #GetOpen Miami Sunday

— Gerry Hamilton (@HamiltonESPN) March 7, 2016

Scott did this at Nike’s “The Opening” regional over the weekend.

Miami Nike Opening:
Rodney Scott
WR@RodneyScott_ pic.twitter.com/nwLpQinpWZ

— ALL HANDS (@_ALLHANDS) March 6, 2016

Miami’s 2017 class is ranked the No. 2 class in the country by 247 Sports.

2017SQUAD030816.jpg

6a00d83451b26169e201bb08906704970d-800wi

Recruiting: TE Kemore Gamble decommits from Miami Hurricanes
March 8, 2016 | Filed in: 2017 football recruiting, Football, Matt Porter, Recruiting.

New Miami tight ends coach Todd Hartley expressed a great deal of excitement about the future of his position group.

In all likelihood, that will not include Kemore Gamble.

Gamble, a senior-to-be at Miami Southridge High, announced Tuesday he was backing off his commitment to the Hurricanes.

“I will be [committing] at the end of the summer as I am on track to graduate in January,” Gamble wrote in a tweet announcing the move.

pic.twitter.com/dufBkFjB9C

— |HUMBLE| (@kemoregamble15) March 8, 2016

Gamble (6-3, 220) is a three-star prospect and the 11th-ranked tight end nationally, according to the 247Sports composite ratings. He opened eyes at last week’s The Opening combine in Miami by making an impressive one-handed grab.

He told Scout.com that while Al Golden‘s staff recruited him hard, Mark Richt‘s staff hadn’t shown him nearly as much attention. Florida, he said, is in constant contact.

Miami could have one of the strongest tight end units in the ACC this fall, with redshirt sophomore David Njoku, junior Chris Herndon and senior Stan Dobard competing for playing time this spring. Freshmen Michael Irvin II and Jovani Haskins will arrive in the summer.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back