Class of 2009: The Lost Class?

Hurricane Warrior

Retired staff
Premium
With the departure of Dye, I decided to take a closer look at our 2009 recruiting class.

Did Randy Shannon’s 2009 recruiting class get lost in the transition to the Golden Era? Only 4* (Green, Porter, Wheeler, Highsmith) of the 19 original signees from the 6th ranked class remain on the 2013 Miami Hurricanes as 5th year seniors. They have bought in and survived the transition from the Shannon to Golden Era. The class was filled with talent and potential as evidenced by the #6 ESPN class ranking with only 19 signees and the 6 players who are already getting their shots at the NFL. However, much of that talent was under developed or utilized in college. Below is a complete look at the class of 2009.

Here is the press release on the 2009 recruiting class:
“The Hurricanes brought in the No. 7 rated recruiting class, and the top-rated in the ACC. The class includes 19 members, six in the Top 150. Featured in the group is safety Aravious "Ray Ray" Armstrong from Seminole High School (Fla.). “

Their Record:
2009 9-4 (Shannon)
2010 7-6 (Shannon)
2011 6-6 (Golden)
2012 7-5 (Golden)
2013 ?

Here is the list of the 19 signees with bios:

The class rankings after signing day?
Rivals #1 1, Scouts #1 9, ESPN #6

Good Start…
2009ee.jpg

The class started off well with 6 early enrollees in December.
-Brandon McGee DB 5-11 180
-Olivier Vernon DL 6-2 247
-Jermaine Johnson OL 6-6 304
-Curtis Porter DL 6-0 344
-Mike James RB 5-11 220
-Brandon Washington OL 6-4 354

Everyone was impressed with the maturity and athleticism that they brought to team. Washington and Johnson were big physically and coming from an extra year of prep school both seemed ready to contribute right away. However, only Washington contributed from day 1, playing in all 13 games and making 2 starts. 5 out of the 6 players were called upon to help right away and did not redshirt. Mike James was physically ready and contributed in all 13 games at fullback as a true freshman and eventually became a team leader and starter by his senior year. Curtis Porter played in 8 games in 2009 as true freshmen, but only 7 in the next 3 years combined. Vernon also played in 11 games as a true freshmen starting in 2 of them. McGee played in 10 games as well as a true freshman contributing primarily on special teams.

What should have been…
The class included the #1 and 2 Prep OL in Jermaine Johnson and Brandon Washington who were going to help solidify the OL along with Malcolm Bunche, Jared Wheeler, and long term projects Corey White and Stephen Plein.

Bunche didn’t qualify and ended as up as a member of the 2010 class. Johnson showed signs of potential early on but never adjusted under golden and left the team during his 3rd year. Neither of the projects panned out as Plein left the team after 2009 with a medical hardship and Corey bounced between OT an TE and never got any significant playing time before graduating and finishing his career at FIU. Washington was a solid starter for 2 years but decided to leave early for the NFL after his Junior year, he was not drafted until the 6th round. Wheeler is the last member of that class on the team along with Bunche but has been nothing more than a backup his whole career.

On defense this class was supposed to have a "Machine" along with a future NFL back field with 1 Army All-American (McGee) and 3 UA All-Americans (Reid, Armstrong, Kent). Only 2 of them got a shot at the NFL and one is now a LB. Kent never made it to UM and Reid left the team after not seeing the field in 2 years at the U. McGee struggled most of his career but developed into a solid starter for his Senior year. Ray Ray show glimpses of his talent as a true freshmen but never got a chance to develop and was suspended most of his last 2 years at the U.

The distractions…
Did not qualify: Malcolm Bunche and Prince Kent had to go the prep route.
Suspensions: Ray Ray (4), Vernon (6), Dye (4), Ray Ray and Dye both lost their final year due to the scandal
NFL: Washington, Miller, Vernon all left with eligibility remaining
Injuries: Porter, Green, Plein, White all missed seasons due to injuries.
What Happened? Billy Sanders. Jamal Reid

In the end:
Only 7* of the 19 players who signed with Miami in 2009 will complete their careers here with a degree.
Almost half of the class will get their shot to reach their full potential in the NFL.

*Bunche does not count as he is a member of class of 2010. White does not count although he graduated from UM he will be finishing his playing career this year at FIU.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think a lot of Randys recruits were just victims of the program even the ones we bash all the time....

I dont like to bash Randy like a lot do but it's obvious that the favoritism he showed for players caused the rest of the team not to care about the team and work hard for themselves b/c they felt it doesnt matter anyway, rightfully so.

The guys who were of the group Randy showed favoritism towards half of them stalled out after their freshman and sophomore years b/c of the lack of competition due to the favoritism that was showed.

The others were "ME" guys b/c they new this program was pointless anyway, rightfully so. Guys like Olivier Vernon, Tommy Streeter, B. Washington didnt care and was just at a point where they wanted to get to the NFL before their careers were ruined.

When you have a program that split and pathetic its easy to see how a parasite like Shapiro could infiltrate and corrupt players b/c those guys had no idea what its like to be in a real football program where you care about the team and focus on the team's well being first..

Fire Golden?

I'm not saying anythig about either coach in my write up, it's just a summary of what happened with the class. This is the class that I think took it the hardest during the transition. Class of 2008 were Junior and Seniors so most of them only had 1 to 2 years left. The class after were still pretty new, so I think it was easier for them to adjust. A lot of this class was asked to contribute right away as true freshmen and they had a record of 9-4. The core of that team was from the 2008 and 2009 classes. A lot of high expecations were put on the team in 2010 and they flopped to a 7-6 record and got embarassed in the bowl game against ND. That basically cost RS his job. 2011 season really got ruined by the Shapiro scandal and that was these guys 3rd year in the program.

After that the 2 best players (Vernon, Miller) along with BW and the some of the 2008 Juniors all left for the NFL. 4 out of the 6 draft picks had eligibility left... we lost 5 possible starters in Miller, Vernon, Streeter, Washington, Forston. If they all came back I think last year's team would have finished at 9-3 instead of 7-5. Vernon would have helped the pass rush a lot and Miller would have helped the running game and taken some pressure of Duke, especially when he hit a wall towards the second half of the season. I would have loved to see Miller and Duke returning kick-offs last year...

389.jpg

Last edited:
Advertisement
Fire Golden?

I'm not saying anythig about either coach in my write up, it's just a summary of what happened with the class. This is the class that I think took it the hardest during the transition. Class of 2008 were Junior and Seniors so most of them only had 1 to 2 years left. The class after were still pretty new, so I think it was easier for them to adjust. A lot of this class was asked to contribute right away as true freshmen and they had a record of 9-4. The core of that team was from the 2008 and 2009 classes. A lot of high expecations were put on the team in 2010 and they flopped to a 7-6 record and got embarassed in the bowl game against ND. That basically cost RS his job. 2011 season really got ruined by the Shapiro scandal and that was these guys 3rd year in the program.

After that the 2 best players (Vernon, Miller) along with BW and the some of the 2008 Juniors all left for the NFL. 4 out of the 6 draft picks had eligibility left... we lost 5 possible starters in Miller, Vernon, Streeter, Washington, Forston. If they all came back I think last year's team would have finished at 9-3 instead of 7-5. Vernon would have helped the pass rush a lot and Miller would have helped the running game and taken some pressure of Duke, especially when he hit a wall towards the second half of the season. I would have loved to see Miller and Duke returning kick-offs last year...

389.jpg

At least 9-3 if not better. Forston to seal the middle. Vernon with pressure from edge. Both of them helping to free up other guys like Chick along the DL. Streeter and Dorsett stretching the field with a 1-2 punch of Miller and Duke and added protection of Washington. I also feel Ojomo should have been given another year and we lost a possession receiver in Aldarius. It completely changed the dynamics of the team. We finish the season with a lot more momentum. Guys go higher in the draft making us more attractive to recruits. I don't know how Golden kept his sanity to be totally honest.

Hold up Joe Wylie is in the NFL?

smh Marcus Robinson is someone that really got screwed over by the UM program.... he had a ton of talent, would've been perfect in Coach D's multiple defense.

Advertisement

smh Marcus Robinson is someone that really got screwed over by the UM program.... he had a ton of talent, would've been perfect in Coach D's multiple defense.

I think he struggled a bit in Coach D's defense... Lets be honest he was an undersized DE who battled injuries his entire career here... If we had the luxury to shirt him and allow him to naturally mature physically his career could have been better consistency wise... That being said, he struggled at linebacker in 2011 when the staff tried him there in certain situations... The kid was good but he was just beat up...

No he isn't. I have no idea what is up with the team names under the player, maybe invited to camp?

His 2010 class was worse.

I was going to do one for class of 2010, but thought it was too early, maybe I'll do it when I have time. That class is much bigger but it's hard to call it worse when you have the following palyers:

Morris
Linder
Henderson
Feliciano
McDermontt
Bunche
Hurns
Hagens
Walford
Gaines
Ford

This list alone is enough to say it was better than 2009 class.

Advertisement
People compare the attrition under Golden to that of Randy's. Makes no **** sense. Golden actually attempts to replace those players through transfers/JUCO's/preps.

I was going to do one for class of 2010, but thought it was too early, maybe I'll do it when I have time. That class is much bigger but it's hard to call it worse when you have the following palyers:

Morris
Linder
Henderson
Feliciano
McDermontt
Bunche
Hurns
Hagens
Walford
Gaines
Ford

When I think about that class, it is the very reason our defense is in the ****** state is in now. 2009 also had some productive kids in it. Miller, James, Vernon, McGee and Brandon Washington were all drafted. **** even Ray Ray had one solid year. Porter, Robinson, Green, Wheeler and Highsmith will all be asked to contribute is some capacity. Gaines is the only defensive player worth a **** from that 2010 class with most of those kids not even making passed their freshman years. And don't forget Storm on the offensive side who would make a lethal combo with Duke if he had his **** together. Just sad.

Last edited:
Between them and the defensive side of the 2010 class, it explains last year. Randy recruited the *s we seem to be short on now--but it didn't help. Let's hope the less sung players prove to be better.

Advertisement
Morris
Linder
Henderson
Feliciano
McDermontt
Bunche
Hurns
Hagens
Walford
Gaines
Ford

When I think about that class, it is the very reason our defense is in the ****ty state is in now.
2009 also had some productive kids in it. Miller, James, Vernon, McGee and Brandon Washington were all drafted.
**** even Ray Ray had one solid year. Porter, Robinson, Green, Wheeler and Highsmith will all be asked to contribute is some capacity.
Gaines is the only defensive player worth a **** from that 2010 class with most of those kids not even making passed their freshman years.
And don't forget Storm on the offensive side who would make a lethal combo with Duke if he had his **** together. Just sad.

The problem with the 2009 class is most of them were not productive in college or left early.

Here is the list of guys who produced from 2009:
James - 4 year contributor making 17 starts.
*Miller - was great but only played 2 years and started 13 games before leaving
*Washington was solid and contributed for 2 years but left early as well, started 25 games in career
*Vernon - was talented and started as Soph, but wasted his Jr year due to suspension and skipped his last year. Started 16 games in career.
McGee - played 4 years making 25 starts
Green - really only played 1 year so far due to injury making 12 starts
Highsmith - contributed last 2 years at safety with 7 career starts
*Ray Ray - played 3 years with 1 solid year as a Soph. Only started 1 game as a Jr and did not play as a Sr.
Porter - only played in 15 games so far due to injury making 3 starts.
Dye - role player with 10 starts at TE
Robinson - played 2 years and sat out 1 with injury. 2 career starts.
Wheeler - is a career backup

Never really played:
Johnson, White, Plein, Reid, Sanders, Kent, Bunche

Only Robinson, Porter, Green, Highsmith, Wheeler have one more year to add to their resume. The class so far had 12 players that contributed at least 1 year and a total of 157 starts between them. The *4 most talented from the class all left with eligibility remaining.

444.jpg

Compared to the 2010 class:
Morris - Stud QB last year and hopefully this year, 17 career starts
Linder - Started 5 games as a Fr and every game since. 29 Starts total.
Henderson - started games all 3 years so far with 18 total starts.
Feliciano - contributed since rsFr year with 20 starts
McDermontt - contibuted 2 years and started all 12 games last year
Hurns - contributed 3 years and started 15 games in career
Hagens - most consitent fullback for past 2 years with 8 career starts
Walford - played extnesivedly the past 2 seasons making 13 starts
Gaines - played extnesivedly the past 2 seasons making 14 starts
Ford - JC Transfer who played 2 years making 7 starts
Clements - contributed 3 years on special teams and backup
Cornileus - contributed 3 years on special teams and backup with 3 starts last year.
Rogers - contributed 2 years with 7 starts at S.
Bunche - contributed 2 years making 12 starts
Cleveland - contributed a little each year with 2 career starts
Cain - contributed last 3 years with 2 career starts

Never really played:
Perry, Anderson, Storm, Williams, Nelson, D. Davis, Tallman, Brown, Barton, Hall, Payne, Glenn, J. Davis, Taylor

With 16 guys still on the team and 16 players that contributed 1 or more years and having 179 starts already. Bunche, Rogers, Walford, Feliciano, McDermontt, Perry will have another 2 years to leave their mark.

The 2010 class was a much larger class with a lot of misses as well. 2009 class signed 19 players but only 2 did not qualify. 2010 class signed 30 players (Anderson-track) with 3 non-qualifiers.

Here is how I would break down the classes based on current production at the U:
Stars:
-2009 1 (Miller)
-2010 4 (Morris, Linder, Hurns, Walford)

Starters:
-2009 7 (James, Vernon, Washington, McGee, Green, Ray Ray, Porter)
-2010 9 (Henderson, McDermontt, Hagens, Gaines, Bunche, Feliciano, Ford)

JAGs:
-2009 4 (Highsmith, Dye, Wheeler, Robinson)
-2010 6 (Cain, Cleveland, Cornileus, Clements, Rogers)

Misses:
-2009 7 (Johnson, White, Plein, Reid, Sanders, Kent, Bunche)
-2010 14 (Perry, Anderson, Storm, Williams, Nelson, D. Davis, Tallman, Brown, Barton, Hall, Payne, Glenn, J. Davis, Taylor)

I would argue that the production for the 2 classes are about the same at this point but the 2010 class has the opportunity to pull away this year.

Last edited:
I don't think I'd call Porter or Clements a Jag but I get the gist of it.

Man I really hope we start batting a higher percentage on these kids.

Advertisement
Back