Class Impact: Zion Nelson to Miami

View as article
Advertisement
Taking a project like this is fine if he is your 4th, 5th or even 6th OL in an otherwise talented class. If we can someone pull off Neal (unlikely), it would be an ok addition. As a matter of fact, he would have been a fine addition to our talented class last year. This Kid is a HUGE project that needs a minimum of 3 years before he will be ready to contribute. However, If you are bringing him with a couple of other suspect projects then that is a big concern with the immediate needs we have on the OL, even if it works out in the future.

LMAO at people comparing him to Eric Winston. Winston was the #2 TE in the nation and top 50th player overall who just happened to outgrow his position. We beat out LSU, Texas and Texas A&M for Winston. Hope it works out but this kid has NOWHERE near the potential Eric Winston had coming out of HS.

Those 2 guys should never have gotten schalorships here, Zion is a better athlete than those 2 could ever be. He has all the tools needed to do work here mainly because he has a real good base and movement. He can definitely be a starting right tackle, but once he comes in, and starts moving around, i wouldnt be surprised if he got moved to d-tackle at some point either.

Watch how our o-line starts doing work now. If healthy we know who at least 3 of the starters will be, navaughn, scaife and gaynor, teams are going to be in for a dog fight with those 3. The days of seeing our interior o-linemen on skates will soon be coming to an end!

For the love of god, swish that Listerine in your gums to get that Richt sperm out. Blood u are either the worlds biggest troll or the blindest homer fan on planet earth. How u continually justify **** poor decisions is mind boggling. Bet $ ur credit score sucks.

Taking a project like this is fine if he is your 4th, 5th or even 6th OL in an otherwise talented class. If we can someone pull off Neal (unlikely), it would be an ok addition. As a matter of fact, he would have been a fine addition to our talented class last year. This Kid is a HUGE project that needs a minimum of 3 years before he will be ready to contribute. However, If you are bringing him with a couple of other suspect projects then that is a big concern with the immediate needs we have on the OL, even if it works out in the future.

LMAO at people comparing him to Eric Winston. Winston was the #2 TE in the nation and top 50th player overall who just happened to outgrow his position. We beat out LSU, Texas and Texas A&M for Winston. Hope it works out but this kid has NOWHERE near the potential Eric Winston had coming out of HS.

I mean, I mean! These chumps will say any bull chit to make them feel good about these struggles! Lol. Eric Winston comparison, ufb!!

Advertisement
For the love of god, swish that Listerine in your gums to get that Richt sperm out. Blood u are either the worlds biggest troll or the blindest homer fan on planet earth. How u continually justify **** poor decisions is mind boggling. Bet $ ur credit score sucks.

Uh OH, the non-alphabet community is at it again, leave kevin hart alone!

This guy is a mid-tier G5 player. Period.

He's athletic and there is a lot to work with...but you don't take this kid if you're a P5 program.

I have no faith that Searles will coach him up - because Searles is a bum. I have no faith that this staff will be here when Zion Nelson becomes a player with the physical attributes to contribute to a P5 program - because the staff is filled with bums and are currently getting run out of town.

So, Zion Nelson will be inherited by a future staff - probably a staff filled with bums, because that is how Miami rolls these days - and they won't be able to develop him either.

Just remember my posts stating that the bottom 1/3 of our roster is filled with unusable players. I don't know what Zion Nelson's future is to become, but for the foreseeable future, you can add another player to that bottom 1/3 of the roster as you develop him and give him time in the weightroom.

Yung Zion is probably better off going to App State if he wants to be developed. But, Welcome to the U, son.
Wrong

Advertisement
Advertisement

Lets see him actually play.

Miami has been hit by injuries and has a terrible offensive line in the first place.

Zion Nelson getting first team reps in the spring is more of an indictment on the current state of the line than anything about him.

Let me bump your lil passive aggressive post in a few years when he's nothing special.

Miami has been hit by injuries and has a terrible offensive line in the first place.

Zion Nelson getting first team reps in the spring is more of an indictment on the current state of the line than anything about him.

Let me bump your lil passive aggressive post in a few years when he's nothing special.
Please do motor mouth negative Nellie coach bashing pretender fan.

Playing gotcha with Zion Nelson is stupid.

Desperate Searels reached to flip a low G5 commit and the kids incredible work ethic and raw talent has helped him be a surprise.

That doesn’t mean Searels was in the kitchen. You wouldn’t want the staff to pick their OL classes from Sun Belt Conference commitments every year.

Zion is a good prototype to follow in terms of building up lineman and getting guys with tackle traits. But if this dude starts as a true freshman that’s blind luck.

Advertisement

1) I understand why anyone would have gone full negative at the time of this commitment. We were in a heavy downward spiral as a team, the offense was sh*t, we were losing all commits and losing out on targets, the OL was a mess, and Zion was a 240 pound prospect committed to App State. I wasn't even visiting the board or keeping up with recruiting because there was no point.

2) Actually checking out Zion's frame and tape (after the fact) revealed some definite potential as a prospect to develop into the LT role (which was sorely needed).

3) Zion is clearly performing well and the opportunities he has seized speak to way more than just "an indictment on the current state of the line than anything about him". We have multiple 4-star OT prospects on the roster that have been in a college program for 1-3 years, had numerous offers from top programs coming out (Brown, Campbell, Herbert), and some of which show signs of potential to be solid starters on our team (Herbert & Campbell). Zion is the talk of camp over all of them. Zion was one of the first names out of coaches' mouths with regards to who impressed and showed out during Winter workouts. Zion is the only one of those linemen that both Coach Enos and Coach Diaz can't help but to name as one of the standouts/surprises from Spring every time they are asked. When Kai-Leon Herbert is asked in an interview at the end of Spring "how's Zion Nelson?", his immediate response is "He's a beast; he's going to be great."

Summary: I don't blame you for being down on Zion at the time of the pickup whether you actually watched the film and evaluated him or not. The optics off the bat were terrible. With that said, I'd choose a different hill to die on as I don't think you'll prove to be vindicated in this game of "bookmark this post".

IMO it looks like Zion will get real burn this year and probably serve as the swing tackle (not counting out him starting). He's performign well and has growth potential. It's becoming clear that he's a future starting LT on the OL.

@txcanes
What is the point in trying to show people up bc they doubted an App St commit coming here? Are we supposed to never say anything negative and just say “this kid has potential,” every time there’s a commit? I don’t get what’s trying to get accomplished.

Trusting the coaches hasn’t worked in almost two decades. And don’t try to act like you were excited about this undersized kid who didn’t have a committable P5 offer when we our coach who couldn’t get production out of legit guys we had on the roster

1) I understand why anyone would have gone full negative at the time of this commitment. We were in a heavy downward spiral as a team, the offense was sh*t, we were losing all commits and losing out on targets, the OL was a mess, and Zion was a 240 pound prospect committed to App State. I wasn't even visiting the board or keeping up with recruiting because there was no point.

2) Actually checking out Zion's frame and tape (after the fact) revealed some definite potential as a prospect to develop into the LT role (which was sorely needed).

3) Zion is clearly performing well and the opportunities he has seized speak to way more than just "an indictment on the current state of the line than anything about him". We have multiple 4-star OT prospects on the roster that have been in a college program for 1-3 years, had numerous offers from top programs coming out (Brown, Campbell, Herbert), and some of which show signs of potential to be solid starters on our team (Herbert & Campbell). Zion is the talk of camp over all of them. Zion was one of the first names out of coaches' mouths with regards to who impressed and showed out during Winter workouts. Zion is the only one of those linemen that both Coach Enos and Coach Diaz can't help but to name as one of the standouts/surprises from Spring every time they are asked. When Kai-Leon Herbert is asked in an interview at the end of Spring "how's Zion Nelson?", his immediate response is "He's a beast; he's going to be great."

Summary: I don't blame you for being down on Zion at the time of the pickup whether you actually watched the film and evaluated him or not. The optics off the bat were terrible. With that said, I'd choose a different hill to die on as I don't think you'll prove to be vindicated in this game of "bookmark this post".

IMO it looks like Zion will get real burn this year and probably serve as the swing tackle (not counting out him starting). He's performign well and has growth potential. It's becoming clear that he's a future starting LT on the OL.

Now is also not the time to be dunking on these takes.

Its spring football.

He's not a complete bum is not exactly a hill to die on either. Why don't we just let it play out?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back