Class Impact: Tirek Austin-Cave to Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Camden (NJ) LB Tirek Austin-Cave committed to Miami during the July 4th holiday.

The 6-1 205 pounder is currently a consensus 3-star in the national rankings. According to the 247Sports Composite, Austin-Cave is the #588 player nationally, #22 ILB in the country, and the #15 player in New Jersey. His commitment moves Category20 to the #8 class ranking on 247Sports and #6 on Rivals.

The Player

Austin-Cave’s Miami recruitment lasted about 5 months, as he received his UM offer back in early February. West Virginia was considered an early leader for Austin-Cave, but Miami did a great job here identifying a prospect they liked at a position of need and quickly convincing him UM was the best place for him on his official visit, which took place last month and was his first visit to Miami. He is the first recruit UM has pulled from New Jersey since Evidence Njoku and Zach Feagles in the 2017 class. Minnesota and Syracuse were also contenders here.

Austin-Cave recorded a 4.76 in the 40, a 4.53 shuttle time, and a 33.90 inch vertical at the Opening New Jersey Regional back in April. As a junior in 2018 for Camden, he totaled a whopping 162 tackles, 18 TFL, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble, and 3 PBU's, so it’s fair to say he’s a highly productive ‘backer that plays with energy and is all over the field.

On tape, Austin-Cave is quick to shut down openings and fills gaps in the line with vigor. Shows good sideline-to-sideline speed and covers a lot of ground for the middle of a defense. Will chase a ball-carrier down from behind and demonstrates great recovery speed to prevent or minimize big plays. Stalks running back with adequate patience and shows above average technique to break his hips down and form tackle. Not easily fooled on misdirection plays and has quality eye discipline. Has an affinity for shedding blocks and I love the coordination between his hands and feet to work around blockers. Would like to see more of his coverage ability, but Austin-Cave has an incredible football IQ and is a student of the game, so I have no doubt he could improve that aspect of his game. Similar to taking Corey Flagg, Diaz is clearly going after highly productive high school linebackers with above average intelligence and Austin-Cave fits that mold to a tee.

The Class

Austin-Cave’s commitment brings the total class numbers to 21 and he is the third true linebacker commit in Category20 along with Largo (FL) 3-star AJ Mathis and North Shore (TX) 3-star Corey Flagg. Safety commitments Amite (LA) 3-star Daran Branch and South Dade (FL) 3-star Keshawn Washington have the potential to move down to striker linebacker at the next level as well. As we’ve been reporting, Miami is looking to take 4 true linebackers in this class, so there’s one spot left in the class.

Miami is pretty clearly zeroing in on two targets for that last opening. At the top of the wish-list, Miami continues to push hard for Upland (CA) 5-star Justin Flowe. Program sources indicate that the interest coming from Flowe is rising and that he is higher on the Canes than many are reporting right now. To give themselves the best possible chance to land this California stud, though, the Canes are going to have to win in 2018 to give Manny Diaz proof of concept.

Despite his commitment to Maryland, McArthur (FL) 3-star Ruben Hyppolite continues to flirt with Miami and visited campus twice just before the dead period, including for Paradise Camp. Miami is treating him like a priority right now, and Hyppolite is planning OV’s to Maryland, Penn State, Alabama, and Miami during the fall.

The Team

By the time Austin-Cave hits campus in 2020, Miami will have seven total linebackers already on the roster. However, guys like Waynmon Steed and De’Andre Wilder have been non-factors so far due to injury issues, and the rest of the returning LB’s are completely unproven. With Shaq Quaterman, Michael Pinckney, Zach McCloud, and Romeo Finley set to graduate, there will be plenty of playing time available for Austin-Cave to soak up if he proves he’s ready. The Canes are likely going to need a freshman from the 2020 class to step up and fill a role and there’s a chance that guy is Austin-Cave. That likelihood is even higher if he enrolls early for spring ball.

Advertisement
Advertisement
you also cant go by camp 40s all the time. i know kids who have camped with injuries and ran slower times.
also, how was it timed? not saying hes blazing fast but my friend put 3 kids in nfl in last 4 years and all of them ran 4.4 or less consistently and he said this kid can run.

Advertisement
Austin-Cave is too productive. I rather have a less productive player with more stars.
Yes this is the class full of 3 stars that will finally get us to the elite level. Let’s put aside statistics and continue to believe 3 stars will get us there.

Year in and year out my post will get downvoted and lambasted by you guys for calling out ****** classes. And then we suck.

Yes this is the class full of 3 stars that will finally get us to the elite level. Let’s put aside statistics and continue to believe 3 stars will get us there.

Year in and year out my post will get downvoted and lambasted by you guys for calling out ****** classes. And then we suck.
verucatantrum1.gif

Advertisement
The whole “National High School Elite” thing isn’t really impressive to me (I’m a performance snob, until they’re near the top of under 20 or can qualify for Worlds/Olys I ignore high school, what can I say), but 6.57 is fast. Especially for a kid at that size. It’s definitely “faster” than his recorded 40, but I’ve seen that from kids in high school where there is that level of inconsistency that’s why I don’t freak out over 40’s.

To put it in perspective: 6.21 was the qualifier for NCAA’S 30 years ago. And no more than about 15 - 20 guys would qualify nationwide. Carl Lewis’ best was 6.03.

My guess: he should be able to run under 11.00.

6.56 - Gwen Torrence
6.58 - Dawn Sowell (Held the 100m collegiate record of 10.78A until this year)
6.66 - Marlene Ottey (ran 10.83 the same year)
This kid could play the Mike in my defense all **** day. He'd have 200 tackles for me. My kind of linebacker.

He can play.

He ran an 11.25 last year i believe. A solid time for a linebacker recruit @Tetragrammaton Cane

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back