Class Impact: Samuel Anaele exits

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 McDougle Technical Institute (FL) DE Samuel Anaele told reporters at the check-in's for the Opening Finals today that he decommitted from Miami earlier this week.

The 6-4 245 pounder is currently a consensus 4-star recruit in the national rankings. According to the 247Sports Composite, Anaele is the #161 player nationally, #10 SDE in the country, and the #23 player in the Sunshine State. His decommitment keeps Category20 at the #9 class ranking on 247Sports and #5 on Rivals.

The Background

Anaele had been Miami’s second longest tenured commitment in the 2020 class behind Tre’von Riggins, as he gave his pledge to the staff back in January of 2018. Anaele had been one of UM’s quieter commits, but started taking visits to other schools this spring. He saw UF and Georgia Tech on unofficials, then took an official visit to Kentucky earlier this month. Anaele seemed to put to bed decommitment rumors by showing up to Paradise last weekend, but still ended up hopping out of the class. Anaele had also made a habit of transferring high schools, bouncing around to three different schools since his UM commitment, which caused some to question his eligibility for the next level. However, he is known to be a very good student and I’m told he was a full qualifier, so that had nothing to do with the parting of ways here.

Future of the Class

Anaele’s exits brings the total class numbers to 18 and leaves Miami with one true DE in the class in Mallard Creek (NC) 3-star Quentin Williams. Columbus (FL) 3-star Elijah Roberts is swingman that could end up at DT down the line, but Miami will start him out as a DE and move him inside for special packages. The Canes would like to add two more true DE’s to pair with Williams and, conveniently, two clear targets are emerging.

The Canes are still hot on the trail of Dublin (GA) 3-star Romello Height. Originally being recruited as a linebacker, Miami has started to see the 6-5 215 pound Height as a rush end/viper type that could also drop back into coverage on occasion. Height took an official visit to Miami 2 weeks back and UM felt they made a move with him. He’s also already taken an official visit to Kentucky. Height plans on making his decision today and all signs point to Miami being the pick.

A surprising name rejoined the DE board recently in Oakleaf (FL) 4-star Chantz Williams. Williams previously eliminated the Canes in favor of a top 3 of UGA, UF, and LSU and he was thought to favoring the Tigers from that group after a secret visit to Baton Rouge last month. However, the Canes are back in contact again and pushing hard. Williams’ teammate Jalen Rivers committed to Miami earlier this month and in the past, the pair stated their desire to play together at the next level before later backing off that. Now, it seems Rivers is doing work to get Williams on board with Miami. A decision is expected on July 20th and some believe that the Canes have really made up a lot of ground with Williams.

The board here was radically shaken up 2 weeks ago when Booker T. Washington (FL) 4-star DE Donell Harris reclassified from 2021 to the 2020 class. Harris was invited to and showed up for Paradise Camp last weekend. As I said when he first decommitted, Alabama, Clemson, and UGA are the schools that have more traction here while Miami is running behind.

Previously, Miami had been treating both Berkeley Prep (FL) 4-star Jaylen Harrell as a priority at DE, however, Harrell did not make his scheduled visit for Paradise camp. Harrell seems very open right now and doesn’t look to be close to ending his recruitment any time soon.

Advertisement

2020 DE Samuel Anaele told reporters at the check-in's for the Opening Finals today that he decommitted from Miami earlier this week.

The 6-4 245 pounder is currently a consensus 4-star recruit in the national rankings. According to the 247Sports Composite, Anaele is the #161 player nationally, #10 SDE in the country, and the #23 player in the Sunshine State. His decommitment keeps Category20 at the #9 class ranking on 247Sports and #5 on Rivals.

The Background

Anaele had been Miami’s second longest tenured commitment in the 2020 class behind Tre’von Riggins, as he gave his pledge to the staff back in January of 2018. Anaele had been one of UM’s quieter commits, but started taking visits to other schools this spring. He saw UF and Georgia Tech on unofficials, then took an official visit to Kentucky earlier this month. Anaele seemed to put to bed decommitment rumors by showing up to Paradise last weekend, but still ended up hopping out of the class. Anaele had also made a habit of transferring high schools, bouncing around to three different schools since his UM commitment, which caused some to question his eligibility for the next level. However, he is known to be a very good student and I’m told he was a full qualifier, so that had nothing to do with the parting of ways here.

Future of the Class

Anaele’s exits brings the total class numbers to 18 and leaves Miami with one true DE in the class in Mallard Creek (NC) 3-star Quentin Williams. Columbus (FL) 3-star Elijah Roberts is swingman that could end up at DT down the line, but Miami will start him out as a DE and move him inside for special packages. The Canes would like to add two more true DE’s to pair with Williams and, conveniently, two clear targets are emerging.

The Canes are still hot on the trail of Dublin (GA) 3-star Romello Height. Originally being recruited as a linebacker, Miami has started to see the 6-5 215 pound Height as a rush end/viper type that could also drop back into coverage on occasion. Height took an official visit to Miami 2 weeks back and UM felt they made a move with him. He’s also already taken an official visit to Kentucky. Height plans on making his decision today and all signs point to Miami being the pick.

A surprising name rejoined the DE board recently in Oakleaf (FL) 4-star Chantz Williams. Williams previously eliminated the Canes in favor of a top 3 of UGA, UF, and LSU and he was thought to favoring the Tigers from that group after a secret visit to Baton Rouge last month. However, the Canes are back in contact again and pushing hard. Williams’ teammate Jalen Rivers committed to Miami earlier this month and in the past, the pair stated their desire to play together at the next level before later backing off that. Now, it seems Rivers is doing work to get Williams on board with Miami. A decision is expected on July 20th and some believe that Canes have really made up a lot of ground with Williams.

The board here was radically shaken up 2 weeks ago when Booker T. Washington (FL) 4-star DE Donell Harris reclassified from 2021 to the 2020 class. Harris was invited to and showed up for Paradise Camp last weekend. As I said when he first decommitted, Alabama, Clemson, and UGA are the schools that have more traction here while Miami is running behind.

Previously, Miami had been treating both Berkeley Prep (FL) 4-star Jaylen Harrell as a priority at DE, however, Harrell did not make his scheduled visit for Paradise camp. Harrell seems very open right now and doesn’t look to be close to ending his recruitment any time soon.

Thanks for the excellent overview Stefan! Who do you think The U will end up getting as DEs when it's all said and done in this class?

Advertisement
Makes sense why we are doubling back on James Ash now. As I mentioned in another thread, this position/skill set is what we are looking for.

What I love about this the most aside from possibly getting a great talent like williams unexpectedly is the message we're sending to a kid like D Harris. You wanna decommit and play the bag game, well f you, and we'll replace you with a great talent and don't think we're gonna beg you or your hustler *** daddy too. Manny not playing checkers he's playing chess out here. If we have a 10 or 11 win season flood gates are gonna open for TNM. Go Canes !

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Not a diva. He's been upfront with the staff which is why they didnt expect him in the class for the longest.
Upfront with the staff about what? Why be committed for nearly 2 years? Why show up at Paradise camp? Makes no sense. Complete waste of everyone's time. Should have de-committed a long time ago and saved the staff the headache.

I want true CANES not these pretenders!!!!!

Last edited:
All I know is this defensive staff has produced production from the DE spot every year..SDE and pass rushers. So I’m not worried at all who we end up with..I trust the staffs track record

Anaele had also made a habit of transferring high schools, bouncing around to three different schools since his UM commitment, which caused some to question his eligibility for the next level. However, he is known to be a very good student and I’m told he was a full qualifier, so that had nothing to do with the parting of ways here.

Even a good student is going to get some scrutiny from the Clearinghouse for this.

Do you know if he was looking to enroll early or...? If he was a regular summer enrollee...I would have wagered he would have been late to the party with just the hold up going through everything with a comb.

Advertisement
Back