Class Impact: Leonard Taylor to Miami

View as article
Advertisement
Advertisement
In two of the first three plays in those highlights he tips the ball and intercepts it.

That was enough for me.

ROFL, dawg, good to know it wasnt just me, I saw that, and the way he blocked that punt, lol, and his teammates luv playing with em, I didn't need to see much after that!

Advertisement
Leonard Taylor = Ed Oliver
Bad comparison, in my opinion. Oliver was physical, super strong and excelled at holding down the point of attack as a true freshmen.

I like Christian Wilkins as a comparison to Taylor. Quick off the ball, penetrates gaps, strong hand usage and can be a disruptor on 3rd down. Taylor also displays a bevy of moves on tape, not only an overwhelming bullrush like Oliver. Gerald Willis is a good comparison too, but Taylor's frame is better than both Willis and Wilkins.

Last edited:
Is he better than Jadeveon Clowny?

(I know Clowny was mostly hype and it seems like that type of crazy over the top hype for prospects has died down as recruiting coverage has become big business.)

Advertisement
Great breakdown and analysis as usual, @Stefan Adams! LT has some rare traits for a big man, and an extremely high ceiling. Looking forward to watching him play at the U for the next few years.

Advertisement
Bad comparison, in my opinion. Oliver was physical, super strong and excelled at holding down the point of attack as a true freshmen.

I like Christian Wilkins as a comparison to Taylor. Quick off the ball, penetrates gaps, strong hand usage and can be a disruptor on 3rd down. Taylor also displays a bevy of moves on tape, not only an overwhelming bullrush like Oliver. Gerald Willis is a good comparison too, but Taylor's frame is better than both Willis and Wilkins.
Also what stood out to me and what I most like about him. I'm surprised by his variety at this stage. He will play day 1.

I think that's fair, I think Taylor has a better body than Wilkins though and that's why I noticed the frame comparison between him and Oliver. Definitely noticed extremely advanced (For the high school level) hand usage. But I think the athleticism between the two is similar, but the play style is much more similar to a gap penetrator.

The martial arts background is really interesting as it applies to DT (and OL). I've always wondered if at the college and pro levels the guys on the line get some training in martial arts and sumo techniques -- seems like it would be very helpful, although, admittedly, hand speed takes a long time to develop.

Advertisement
Back