Class Impact: Jarvis Brownlee to Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
After receiving an offer last Tuesday, 2019 Carol City CB Jarvis Brownlee committed to the Canes while on campus on Thursday afternoon.

The 6-0, 175-pounder is currently a 3-star in the national rankings. According to the 247Sports Composite, Brownlee is the #964 player nationally, #87 CB in the country, and the #126 player in the Sunshine State. His commitment moves Miami’s class ranking up to 5th on both 247Sports and Rivals.

The Player

The first thing that sticks out to me is Brownlee's physicality and he plays with a bit of South Florida dog in him. He makes his presence known early on with the jam at the line, and in a world where many high school corners shy away from contact, Brownlee is not afraid to put his body on the line and lower the boom on an unsuspecting ball-carrier. He beats blocks easily to come up and make a play. That fits right in with what coach Rumph wants in his corners and the coach was not high on UM’s past offerees at the position for this reason specifically (lack of physicality).

Brownlee also sports extreme ball skills and is able to track a ball in the air and high-point the rock. With offers from Syracuse, Pitt, UCF, and USF, he wasn’t considered a major Power 5 prospect at this point, although in my opinion, he is highly underrated by both other schools and recruiting services. Brownlee is likely to be one of UM’s current commits to jump up in the rankings after his senior season.

The Class

Brownlee's commitment brings the total class numbers to 14, and he is the Canes second take at cornerback in a week, joining Lake Brantley (FL) 3-star Damarius Good, and third take at DB, along with Chaminade-Madonna (FL) 4-star safety Keontra Smith.

This commitment is very different from the Damarius Good situation. While UM considers Good a developmental player for right now, sources told CIS last week that Brownlee was considered in the top-tier of Miami’s corner board right along with the big names of Akeem Dent, Chris Steele, and Mark-Antony Richards. The source also indicated that UM does not want to get burned like they did last season waiting on big name players at DB, so they’re taking the local guys they love right now.

The plan at DB now? It’s to take five total guys, two at corner, two at safety, with the fifth spot a swingman for best available. With Good, Brownlee, and Smith on board, a source tells CIS that the top priorities at DB will in fact be Southridge (FL) 4-star Tyrique Stevenson and Wellington (FL) 4-star Mark-Antony Richards and that the Canes will sell out to land them and close the class out. And UM remains in a very good spot with both, as Stevenson was on campus twice last weekend, and Richards will be visiting Coral Gables on Sunday.

As for other realistic targets at DB that could be options if UM misses on either, St. John Bosco (CA) 4-star Chris Steele is planning an official visit to UM next week, but has been wavering on that and entertaining an idea of heading to South Carolina instead. Everything we’ve heard is that he’s basically a done deal to the Florida Gators, and the only school I could see changing that would be if he wanted to stay local and run with USC at the last minute.

Who this commitment really effects most is CB/S University School (FL) 4-star Josh Sanguinetti, who took a tumble down UM’s board in the past few months. I don’t see a spot for him unless Miami misses on Stevenson and/or Richards. Someone to keep an eye on is Spalding (GA) 4-star Zion Puckett, who received an offer last month at corner and recently put Miami in his top 10. We’ve heard he’s really risen up UM’s board lately and the staff loves his potential. The Canes are trying to get back into the game with The Benjamin School (FL) 4-star Kaiir Elam after slow-playing him early and are hoping it’s not a situation of “too little, too late”; the Gators are thought to lead here as well. Miami loves Arizona Western C.C. (AZ) 4-star Elijah Blades' talent, but are not sure if he'll fit in attitude-wise.

At safety, St. Thomas Aquinas (FL) 4-star Jordan Battle is an Ohio State lean who continues to list UM in his favorites, but will ultimately be tough to sway from the Buckeyes. Kathleen (FL) 4-star Brendan Gant is also heavily considering Miami, but FSU is running ahead here as well.

The Team

By 2019, Miami will lose established starter Michael Jackson, as well as Jhavonte Dean, to graduation; only Trajan Bandy, Gilbert Frierson, DJ Ivey, Al Blades Jr., and Nigel Bethel are returnees at corner. Miami is hoping Frierson and Ivey have developed enough by then to handle full-time starting roles, with Bandy manning the slot and holding it down in nickel packages.

While that has the potential to be a more than solid top 3, Blades Jr. and Bethel just arrived on campus and have shown nothing yet and Frierson or Blades Jr. may also end up moving to safety, so Miami will hope to build more depth at this spot. There will be immediate playing time available for Brownlee if he comes in and shows he can handle the college game mentally. I can see Brownlee playing a lot of nickel in his freshman year, and at the least will be able to help out on special teams. By his second season, he could easily be in the mix for a starting role.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Rusty Mansell @247 dawg nation is selling UGA is making a run @ Stevenson just like they stole Campbell in January. Is there any truth to this?

Absolutely. If I had to pick a school for him today, it'd be Georgia. Still plenty of time to change things though, which is why I haven't made an official prediction yet

Absolutely. If I had to pick a school for him today, it'd be Georgia. Still plenty of time to change things though, which is why I haven't made an official prediction yet
You'd pick Georgia today even though he's on campus multiple times each week?

Advertisement
Love the pickup. Our class has a great foundation now it’s time to reel in the big fish!

Advertisement

"And UM remains in a very good spot with both, as Stevenson was on campus twice last weekend, and Richards will be visiting Coral Gables on Sunday." Did something change in the last hour?

Advertisement
"And UM remains in a very good spot with both, as Stevenson was on campus twice last weekend, and Richards will be visiting Coral Gables on Sunday." Did something change in the last hour?

Miami is in a good spot. UGA in a better spot

Advertisement
Back