Class Impact: Jalen Harrell to Miami

View as article
Coverage is his biggest weakness. Going to trust him covering as a nickel? Doesn’t make sense.

Think of him more as a third safety playing in the box than as a pure nickel CB. To be effective, striker needs to be better in coverage than a typical OLB, but better in run support than a typical nickel CB. The idea being the defense has some added flexibility in coverage without giving up too much run stop potential. I think Carter would do well in that role.

Advertisement
I know, but you gotta have a plan in place schematically at least to combat those teams if we run into one for a bowl game.
True. But truth be told if you don’t face that in practice day in day out or have a opponent I face annually in conference it’s hard for a team to just adjust to that. Imo that why we struggle against a Wisconsin type. We need sum dawgs up front

True. But truth be told if you don’t face that in practice day in day out or have a opponent I face annually in conference it’s hard for a team to just adjust to that. Imo that why we struggle against a Wisconsin type. We need sum dawgs up front
Yeah. Great DT's & linebacker play are the usual antidote vs the ground & pound Wisky type teams.

Advertisement
Coverage is his biggest weakness. Going to trust him covering as a nickel? Doesn’t make sense.

Strikers aren’t man to man a lot and when they are they have help over top. He can be as good or even better than Romeo at being an enforcer underneath on the short routes

Striker has been explained on the board a million times, if you don't know what it is it's because you're not listening...

In the 4-2-5 Defense the Striker is a HYBRID LB/S, that means it is a multiple-use position, it can be another LB on run downs or can be a drop back Safety in coverage on passing downs.

Striker is not something that only we use or have, literally every 4-2-5 has a striker & other Defenses have a similar position for their Nickel sub-packages; UF has the same position as well even though they run a 3-4 base Defense, they have the Star position which is just a Nickel Safety that plays down in the box vs Run, but can also drop back in coverage & cover TE's, WR's RB's out of the backfield etc, in Zone & Man looks. Chauncey Gardener-Johnson was their "Star" position.

Bama has the Star position as well, Shyheim Carter played Star for them, he was a CB they converted to Safety. Same with Tennessee & UGA they also have a Star position.

Oh St has a similar position as well being that they play 3 CB's & 1 Safety instead of the traditional 2 Safeties in their 4-3 scheme. Oregon does too.

San Diego St had one of the best Defenses in the nation last year & they run the 3-3-5 & have the "War" position.

Oklahoma & TCU run the 4-2-5 like we do, Oklahoma uses more 3 down lineman sets than us but it's basically the same defense. Muschamp at South Carolina runs the 4-3 but uses their Nickel like a Striker in their scheme.

Lots of teams use it & have a player on their defense that has versatility in their assignments which allows them to stay on the field vs no huddle offenses & can cover multiple spots.

Nah, the Miami staff is who caused the confusion by calling McCloud a striker.

To me, all the naming differences are nonsense. We pretty much know what 10 guys are going to do. The 11th is your flex based on opponent and situation. We could just as easily sub in a third corner or true safety as a third LB or safety/LB hybrid. And I’ve seen Manny rum all those schemes at some point over the past few years.

Advertisement
On run downs or vs heavy run, physical opponents I'd like to see how we do with mccloud, brooks, and huff playing together in that 4-2-5.
Then that would be a more traditional 4-3, because none of the guys you mentioned are versatile enough to play safety/LB/nickel role called striker. Brooks and Huff are speed freaks in their own right but only 1 will get to play next to McCloud. Keontra Smith or Gil Frierson would be in if it’s a 4-2-5. Credit to Manny, this is Miami and when we’ve been successful it’s because we were faster all over the field. He’s sitting the third LB for a faster more versatile defender.

That wasn’t Manny Diaz’s original vision when he had Zach McClouds big *** playing striker.
Manny initially didn’t have a striker position in his defense. He ran a 4-3 during his first season, and McClouds playing time slowly went away over his sophomore season as Diaz integrated to a 4-2-5.

Then that would be a more traditional 4-3, because none of the guys you mentioned are versatile enough to play safety/LB/nickel role called striker. Brooks and Huff are speed freaks in their own right but only 1 will get to play next to McCloud. Keontra Smith or Gil Frierson would be in if it’s a 4-2-5. Credit to Manny, this is Miami and when we’ve been successful it’s because we were faster all over the field. He’s sitting the third LB for a faster more versatile defender.
I saw the lineup I mentioned as feasible considering huff played safety in high school yet he has enough upside physically to grow into a more traditional Will LB type.

Striker has been explained on the board a million times, if you don't know what it is it's because you're not listening...

In the 4-2-5 Defense the Striker is a HYBRID LB/S, that means it is a multiple-use position, it can be another LB on run downs or can be a drop back Safety in coverage on passing downs.

Striker is not something that only we use or have, literally every 4-2-5 has a striker & other Defenses have a similar position for their Nickel sub-packages; UF has the same position as well even though they run a 3-4 base Defense, they have the Star position which is just a Nickel Safety that plays down in the box vs Run, but can also drop back in coverage & cover TE's, WR's RB's out of the backfield etc, in Zone & Man looks. Chauncey Gardener-Johnson was their "Star" position.

Bama has the Star position as well, Shyheim Carter played Star for them, he was a CB they converted to Safety. Same with Tennessee & UGA they also have a Star position.

Oh St has a similar position as well being that they play 3 CB's & 1 Safety instead of the traditional 2 Safeties in their 4-3 scheme. Oregon does too.

San Diego St had one of the best Defenses in the nation last year & they run the 3-3-5 & have the "War" position.

Oklahoma & TCU run the 4-2-5 like we do, Oklahoma uses more 3 down lineman sets than us but it's basically the same defense. Muschamp at South Carolina runs the 4-3 but uses their Nickel like a Striker in their scheme.

Lots of teams use it & have a player on their defense that has versatility in their assignments which allows them to stay on the field vs no huddle offenses & can cover multiple spots.
Yupppppppp. People don’t wanna listen. Btw, OSU’s is called bullet.

Advertisement
Saw chad Wilson post a picture of him working with Jalen. Looked like they were working on press technique.

may have been covered when he committed, but does this kid have potential as a corner? Getting on the field as a safety or striker is going to be difficult with the talent in those rooms.

(Hate to bump an old thread, usually means a transfer, but didn’t think my question warranted a new thread)

Saw chad Wilson post a picture of him working with Jalen. Looked like they were working on press technique.

may have been covered when he committed, but does this kid have potential as a corner? Getting on the field as a safety or striker is going to be difficult with the talent in those rooms.

(Hate to bump an old thread, usually means a transfer, but didn’t think my question warranted a new thread)
As long as he wasn’t helping him on his shoe toss technique and yes I feared he hit the portal when I saw this bump

Advertisement

Safety is his spot.

I think he has alot of potential there. He got a few game reps this year and likely will continue to. He's got 5 years basically with this year being a free year. He can still take a redshirt if need be. I dont think it will matters though as i see him playing alot down the road.

Our safety spot has a glut of talent in it. I know T Rob will be excited in the spring.

No, doesn’t have the natural speed & fluidity in his hips to play Corner.

He’s a big bodied physical Safety that can hit like a Mack truck, he’s a Rover Safety all day.

Think of him in the same mold as a Marcus Williams type.

Advertisement
Back