Class Impact: Henry Gray exits

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Miami Central corner Henry Gray decommitted from the Canes late last night.

The 6-0, 170-pounder is currently a 4-star in the national rankings. According to the 247Sports Composite, Gray is the #48 player nationally, #5 CB in the country, and the #6 player in the Sunshine State. His decommitment leaves Miami’s 2020 #3 class ranking unchanged on both 247 and Rivals.

The Background

Gray committed to Miami back in March at Underclassman Day on campus at Miami, which also included 3 other commits on the same day (Dominic Mammarelli, James Williams, and Laurence Seymore). Gray grew up a Canes fan, and had always wanted to stay home and play football for the U. That’s why it was curious when, just a few months later, he said after landing an offer from the Ohio State Buckeyes that it was a “dream offer”. From then on, you knew Miami was going to have to battle it out with OSU and others to actually sign Gray. Like Francois and Washington earlier in the day, Manny Diaz’s departure was simply the excuse he needed to open things up. Losing Gray, who was UM’s highest ranked commit within the top 50 nationally, is certainly a huge blow.

Future of the Class

Gray’s decommitment brings the total class numbers down to 6, capping a whirlwind day of 4 decommits from the class, and leaves Miami with no corner commits in 2020.

The board here hasn’t changed in (let me check my watch) the past few hours. Along with Francois and Gray, the Canes have only offered one other true corner in the class: Trinity Christian 5-star Fred Davis. Davis is a prospect that favored Miami early and always talked highly of the Canes. Some even thought he could join Francois and Gray on the commit list and pledge to UM early on. Davis came down to a Miami this year as well. However, as of late, he has opened up the process much more, and has started looking at other schools such as Alabama, UF, Ohio State, and UGA. Davis is being recruited as a true blue-chipper right now, and it will be tough for Miami to out-duel some of these powerhouse programs for Davis without showing some improvement on the field.

Cocoa 4-star ATH Caziah Holmes is also being considered for cornerback by the staff, but could also play running back and is electric with the ball in his hands. Holmes has not been shy naming the Hurricanes as his early leader, and like Davis, also visited UM for a home game this season. UM is in a very good spot right now for Holmes and many have predicted him as UM’s next 2020 commit, but with Signing Day for the 2020 class over a year away, a lot can change from now until then.

Advertisement
"Davis is being recruited as a true blue-chipper right now, and it will be tough for Miami to out-duel some of these powerhouse programs for Davis without showing some improvement on the field. "

Its about winning as we all know. Until that happens we are not in line for these top recruits. Unfortunately, it looks like they will have to do the best they can this year in recruiting and really have a coaching staff (if possible) to coach players up and get back to at least a 10-2 record next year to get top recruits.

Advertisement
I asked this question in another read, but maybe this is more appropriate place.

Do you think there's a chance we circle back around on him? Noticed several predictions move to foggy recently, including Ivins. Makes me wonder if he's back in the fold for us?

I know he's dropped in the rankings and I've seen here that there's concern about his speed. Looking at his offer list and still Top 200 ranking, you'd have to think he's a better option than our other targets. Or not.

What do you all think?

Advertisement
I asked this question in another read, but maybe this is more appropriate place.

Do you think there's a chance we circle back around on him? Noticed several predictions move to foggy recently, including Ivins. Makes me wonder if he's back in the fold for us?

I know he's dropped in the rankings and I've seen here that there's concern about his speed. Looking at his offer list and still Top 200 ranking, you'd have to think he's a better option than our other targets. Or not.

What do you all think?

He can kick rocks

I'd be open to it but prefer us going after brian george. Marcus clarke is probably the better developmental prospect though. After this season we will have ivey, blades, williams, couch, bandy(if he stays), bethel. Thats potentially 6 guys. we won't exactly be hurting for numbers so i dont see us taking him unless we push someone out or bandy leaves

Advertisement
Advertisement
Nah. Kid is not a top tier P5 kid. Probably Syracuse type of school will be a better fit.

Advertisement
Back