Class Impact: Chamon Metayer to Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2021 North Miami (FL) DE/OLB Chamon Metayer committed to the Canes last Sunday afternoon during his junior day visit to Miami.

The 6-3, 220-pounder is currently 4-star in the national rankings. According to the 247Composite, Metayer is the #93 player nationally, the #5 OLB in the country, and the #14 player in the Sunshine state. His commitment moves Miami’s 2021 class ranking to #1 on 247Sports and #1 on Rivals.

The Player

Metayer is listed by some as an outsider linebacker, but the young sophomore is rapidly growing, and with his body structure, there’s almost no chance he sticks at that position. He looks like a natural DE at the next level, and he switches off playing with his hand in the dirt and off the line for North Miami. Metayer got his offer a few days before junior day and didn’t wait long to pull the trigger, committing along with 4 others that day. Chose UM over offers from the other in-state Big 3 schools of FSU and UF.

On film, Metayer is at his best when he is rushing the passer, and shows pure instincts in getting after the QB. Long-limbed and uses it well to get off blocks. Attacks blockers with his active hands and is slippery in his ability to slide off a squared-up block and work towards the edge. Plus athlete with loose, explosive hips that shows quick-twitch. Demonstrates the ability to play standing up off the line and chase down ball-carriers to the perimeter or from the backside with plus acceleration. Combines upper body flexibility, foot quickness and length for fast wins in pass rush. Knows how to dip his shoulder and creatively knife his way into the backfield. Multi-sport athlete that plays basketball as well.

The Class

Metayer is the 6th commit (at the time) overall in the 2021 class and the second defensive end in the class, joining Booker T. Washington 4-star Donell Harris, who committed back in July after Paradise Camp. Harris has been a vocal leader of the class the past few months and seems as solid as can be. Being nearly two years from the class of 2021’s signing day, it’s difficult to accurately predict how the numbers will shake out for this class with so many variables still undetermined.

Hybrid DE/OLB Tyler Johnson (brother of Jaquan) from South Dade also joined Metayer on the commitment list at junior day. Being Hurricanes royalty, it was only a matter of time before Johnson ended up in the class. Like Metayer, Johnson could also grow into a DE, although he’s a little smaller than Metayer right now at 6’2” 200.

Jabari Ishmael from Columbus is another local offeree at DE and Miami is in a good spot right now. Other offers are from Ole Miss, Oregon, and Tennessee. Out of state, UM recently pulled the trigger on Erasmus Hall (NY) 4-star Jahzion Harris. The 6’4” 200 pound edge rusher may take a visit in the future, but seems to be favoring Ohio State in the early going.

The Team

Assuming there’s no attrition, the DE’s from the current roster that will still be on campus when Metayer arrives in 2021 are Gregory Rousseau, Jahfari Harvey, and Cameron Williams, along with hybrid DE/OLB Patrick Joyner. In 2020, UM has a pledge from Samuel Anaele, and obviously, Miami will be taking multiple defensive linemen in the 2020 class to help balance the numbers.

Metayer will likely take his freshman year to work his way into the rotation and develop his technique and body for the rigors of the college game, but depending on how things play out, it’s possible early playing time could be available. By his sophomore season in 2022, there’s a good chance Metayer is battling to start.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Advertisement
Advertisement
does the last line of his tweet really say "my recruitment will still be open but as of now I will be committing to the University of Miami" ?

I mean unless the def of commitment changed I dont know what to make of this.

Regardless, if he comes I dont care....my theory for recruiting is synonymous to my usage of my towel....today it starts at my face and works its way down to dry my balls, and overnight all is forgotten and tomorrow it will be used on my face again.

does the last line of his tweet really say "my recruitment will still be open but as of now I will be committing to the University of Miami" ?

I mean unless the def of commitment changed I dont know what to make of this.

Regardless, if he comes I dont care....my theory for recruiting is synonymous to my usage of my towel....today it starts at my face and works its way down to dry my balls, and overnight all is forgotten and tomorrow it will be used on my face again.
my recruitment will still be open: bags accepted, free trips accepted, hoes desired, don’t stop callin’....

but: um, yeah, don’t worry about this next little part

as of now: kinda, sorta, not exactly now, but on or about a time that is not in the past....

I will be: I mean, it ain’t happen yet

committing to: sweetheart, of course you my girl. Ain’t no other ho mean nothin to me.

the University of Miami: 🙌

"My recruitment will still be open, but for now I'm committed to Miami"
Translation - I'm committed to Miami til something better comes along. 2 years is a long time folks

Hopefully in 2 years there ain't much better than UM.

Advertisement
Back