Class Impact: Avery Huff to Miami

View as article
Advertisement
Viper position is more of a 3-4 scheme position where one of the OLBs is used to rush the passer from the line of scrimmage kind of like a stand up WDE.

Don't really see it in 4-3 or 4-2-5.

The Striker position that we are using in our 4-2-5 is more of a Rover SS/OLB hybrid.
I definitely see it in a 4-3. It’s basically just a heavy blitzing linebacker.

Advertisement
I definitely see it in a 4-3. It’s basically just a heavy blitzing linebacker.
I'm sure teams use them like that, but then he is not an every down type of LB and teams will know that when he comes into the game he will be blitzing.

Hopefully he can develop coverage skills and instincts at the position, so he is more than just a blitzing LB.

It is more rare to see in a 4-3 though.

Viper position is more of a 3-4 scheme position where one of the OLBs is used to rush the passer from the line of scrimmage kind of like a stand up WDE.

Don't really see it in 4-3 or 4-2-5.

The Striker position that we are using in our 4-2-5 is more of a Rover SS/OLB hybrid.

It's really all just technical jargon for hybrid positions. Viper, Striker, Star, Bandit, Rover, Spur, Buck. They're all just names coaches assign to non traditional defensive positions. 3-4 teams use a hybrid OLB/DE. 4-2-5 teams use a hybrid OLB/S. some 3-3-5 teams use both a hybrid LB/DE and LB/S. The names of the positions are whatever the DC prefers to use.

Advertisement
I'm sure teams use them like that, but then he is not an every down type of LB and teams will know that when he comes into the game he will be blitzing.

Hopefully he can develop coverage skills and instincts at the position, so he is more than just a blitzing LB.

It is more rare to see in a 4-3 though.
He wouldn’t always have to blitz. That’s the point of him being a viper. You can surprise the offense by disguising him and only sending him occasionally. I just think viper refers to that: a good blitzer at linebacker.

Guy is 6-3 200lbs not even in his senior year yet and can stuff the run chase down ball carriers from the back and run like a saftey crazy right.

Excellent grab!! If we can add Rian Davis to this group, OMGGGGGGGGGG... I just don't see him coming here with these current LB commits though.

Advertisement
Kid is a Striker, and I love strikers believe me (Trump voice)...

But I get a lil worried when there's not much film on the guy dropping back in coverage, and/or is not blitzing every play!

Hope he has nice feet, and knows his key/reads at Linebacker! The good news is St Thomas should help with that.

Overall, I love the kids killer mindset when it comes to tackling!

Outstanding movement skills. Looks like an Alec Ogletree caliber athlete. He's not as polished as Solomon so I suspect he'll have a monster year with better coaching at STA. I don't see any flaws that aren't correctable.

Looks like a legit 6'3 with fluid movement and natural power despite a lack of bulk currently. His upside is tremendous.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back