Class Impact: Anthony Solomon exits

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2019 linebacker St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker Anthony Solomon flipped his commitment to Michigan last night after an official visit to see the Wolverines.

The 6-0, 190-pounder is currently a 4-star in the national rankings. According to the 247Sports Composite, Solomon is the #193 player nationally, #10 OLB in the country, and the #28 player in the Sunshine State. His decommitment moves Miami’s 2019 class down to ranking down to #34 on 247Sports and #40 on Rivals.

The Background

Solomon had been committed to Miami since April, choosing the Canes over Michigan at the time. The Canes thought they were done at LB in this class and completely stopped recruiting the position after Solomon’s teammate Avery Huff pledged back in May. Although Miami felt that Solomon was one of the most solid commits in the class, and his mother was also a Miami alum, Michigan never gave up recruiting him. Rumors that Solomon might not be that solid after all began swirling after Miami’s down season in 2018. It seemed that talk had some legs, as multiple sources at STA felt that Solomon ending up at Michigan was inevitable a few weeks back, and I logged a Michigan pick around that time as well. When he decided to visit Michigan instead of Miami on the weekend that the Miami staff had pegged for all the commits to be on campus, it was essentially a done deal for the Wolverines.

Future of the Class

Solomon's decommitment brings the total class numbers down to 14, and leaves Miami with two linebacker commits in Surge19. STA 4-star Avery Huff is considered one of the best players in the class and he is joined by the newly recommitted 3-star Samuel Brooks from Miami Northwestern.

The LB board hasn’t changed in the past day after Brooks recommitted. When Solomon begun to waver on his UM commitment, Miami began contacting Plant City 3-star James Gordon IV, and Solomon’s STA teammate, 3-star Jahmar Brown, to line them up as potential replacements. Although Miami practically begged both Gordon and Brown to officially visit this past weekend, both turned UM down, which was a devastating blow to UM’s chances. Gordon and Brown are both planning on signing early as of now, so barring a last minute change of heart, they won’t be signing with Miami and will honor their commitments to Minnesota (Gordon) and South Carolina (Brown).

Miami has been slow playing Rockledge 3-star Octavious Brothers, but I expect them to start really pushing for him now that Brown and Gordon are out of the picture. Brothers has received multiple in-home visits from the staff the past few weeks but has not actually landed a Miami offer as of yet. Brothers has seen Syracuse and UNC on official visits in the past month. Since he is not signing early, Miami has time to get Brothers on campus and make a move with him.

Advertisement
tenor (17).gif

The out of nowhere "u up?" recruiting has got to stop. Miami being told "thanks, but no thanks" by guys already locked up with SEC and B1G schools is just funny.

Terrible planning at the linebacker position. We are going to be in a bad way if these Juniors declare and will be in a bad spot once they graduate as seniors. Its basically just a bunch of 3* guys behind Shaq and Co. Hard times.

Advertisement
Probably will be late with Brothers too. What a ****show.

He legitimately "opened it back up" after he de-committed from UCF...he was getting P5 offers.

I gotta think we're in the running for him.

Gordon and Brown have been committed elsewhere for a while.

Advertisement
South Florida kids losing the dog in them. Easy to go to front running programs. Takes a special breed to stay home and help rebuild

Michigan is hardly a front running program.

Several similarities with Miami. Coulda, woulda, shoulda...

But doesn't.

Make no mistake, the loss to Ohio State has set Blue's program back quite a bit.

Harbaugh's barrelling towards NASCAR pileup if Michigan loses to first year Poison Nut coach.

Advertisement
The out of nowhere "u up?" recruiting has got to stop. Miami being told "thanks, but no thanks" by guys already locked up with SEC and B1G schools is just funny.

Terrible planning at the linebacker position. We are going to be in a bad way if these Juniors declare and will be in a bad spot once they graduate as seniors. Its basically just a bunch of 3* guys behind Shaq and Co. Hard times.
Add QB and OL to this list of mismanaged recruiting

The pattern is clear. Lock up recruits at a position, drop all contact with other recruits at that position. Rumblings up decommits? Start up contact again with plan b kids post-Thanksgiving. Plan B kids aren't budging? Evaluate new plan c kids to make post-Christmas offers hoping for the late flip.

It is a stupid and ****sure way to recruit, and it wreaks of a total lack of self-awareness. And it's happening right now at CB, LB, and OL.

Edit: And even that is better than what's happening at QB. The plan at QB this year was MJJ. Then months of nothing. Then desperately try to flip Howell. Then more of nothing.

Advertisement
Michigan is hardly a front running program.

Several similarities with Miami. Coulda, woulda, shoulda...

But doesn't.

Make no mistake, the loss to Ohio State has set Blue's program back quite a bit.

Harbaugh's barrelling towards NASCAR pileup if Michigan loses to first year Poison Nut coach.

Michigan is around where we are, and in some respect, worst. They've invested more into Harbaugh than we have with Richt. Yet, khaki pants still hasn't beaten Ohio State. With Meyer retiring, I bet there's significant pressure on Harbaugh to win now. If he loses to Ohio State this season with Ryan Day as the HC, I doubt Harbaugh comes to Michigan in 2020.

Different times at STA. When Smith was running that program once you committed that was it...no turning back on your commitment. But it has worked in our favor before with Hartley.

Losing Solomon hurts but Huff is the key one we need to hold on to.

I'm honestly happy for the kid. Initially, I wanted to be ****ed, etc, etc....BUT, these are the times guys. It is what it is. I actually feel like we will be alright. It was a botched year, no excuses. My concern is solely focused on whether the staff and players learn from this year and shift their mentality going forward. I should have plenty to prove going forward. They should be motivated. I can't sit here and say Richt doesn't give a ****. You don't coach on this level and be happy w/ eating losses. I feel like he was simply not focus on ball like he should've. He was more focused on off the field affairs, like the indoor facility. I think he was over-confident and overlooked required development of his team and ran **** on autopilot. I think this team balls out next year and has an outstanding recruiting class. Top 3. Bookmark this. Also, we need to get that loyalty BS out of our vocabulary. This is not the 90s or early 2000s. We are in the information age where everything is image and impulse. Everything comes easy. Kids simply want to be affiliated w/ the best and most prominent schools. Until we handle business on the field, kids will always flip flop. Even if win, they will.

South Florida kids losing the dog in them. Easy to go to front running programs. Takes a special breed to stay home and help rebuild

South Florida kids have always gone to front running programs this isnt new. We didn't start locking down South Florida kids until Howard and Jimmy started winning.

Advertisement
Back