Class ceiling?

Bama 2021 recruiting class features six five stars.

Five of them are either the best player in their state or the highest ranked at their position, the sixth is 2nd ranked at his position. Three of those six play in Florida.

Its the highest ranked recruiting class that Nick Saban has ever produced at Alabama. (according to the avg 247sports composite ranking)
It's ridiculous the talent those schools pull. They're about to reach Leatherwood and Neil with 2 equally talented OT. Not to mention the #2 OG. That's how you win, building lines like that.

Advertisement
And that’s fine. A good staff with perennial top 10 classes and a difference maker at QB can attain any goal you’d have as a program.

Clemson didn't turn into Clemson by landing multiple #1 classes in a row. I think the two magic numbers are 50% and 7. At minimum to be competitive for a playoff spot, you need the blue chip ratio above 50%. 7 number is the minimum # of 5 stars needed to win a title (have to keep in mind attrition through the draft so you need to always be bringing in multiple 5 stars) . You can easily hit both those numbers without having a #1 class.

Just ****ing around with the class calculator...and not that any of this really matters because on paper is one thing but evaluations and development matter just as much or more, but I'm a numbers guy so I like to move stuff around and see what shakes out.

What do you guys think is the absolute ceiling for this class?

I added Garcia, Maason Smith (yes I know he's almost definitely not coming), T2 (yes I know he's almost definitely not coming), McGhee, and Payton.

Gives us a score of 285.79. Right now, there are only 3 teams with a higher number than that (of course, ton of moving parts between now and when the ink dries). Bama, OSU, and LSU are the only 3 above 285.

For reference, the 2018 class which finished #8 in the country had a score of 280.87.

So I think that's pretty much the absolute (and probably unrealistic) ceiling. But even adding Garcia, Payton, and another 1-2 decent prospects gets us into the top 10, almost certainly. Which would be an INSANE job by the staff, all things considered.

Where do y'all think we end up? I will say when it's all said and done, we sneak inside the Top 10. Probably at #10 or #9, IMO. We're 13th right now, by the way.
I think Garcia is about the only one we get on your list. We should end up around 10 or 11 at the end of the day. Don't know where the rest of the class is coming from. If we don't land he guys we're after, we may as well wait and hold the schollies for some transfers in the event a couple of them hit the portal. I don't want to just give schollies to guys just to fill the class.

Clemson didn't turn into Clemson by landing multiple #1 classes in a row. I think the two magic numbers are 50% and 7. At minimum to be competitive for a playoff spot, you need the blue chip ratio above 50%. 7 number is the minimum # of 5 stars needed to win a title (have to keep in mind attrition through the draft so you need to always be bringing in multiple 5 stars) . You can easily hit both those numbers without having a #1 class.

Absolutely.

Advertisement
Sorry, I must have missed the post, but I thought we had next years kicker all set.
No guarantee that he comes back next year and his bro is one of the best, so even if he does come back. It's worth letting him get a redshirt. I personally never want to see us with a top 10 kicker again lmao.

If you have a top 15 class, especially top 10, you've done your job recruiting and it's now up to coaching. Look at the difference between these two teams.

Clemson under Dabo
2011: 8th
2012: 14th
2013: 14th
2014: 13th
2015: 4th - National Championship appearance and the start of a dynasty

Compare that to:

USC post Carroll
2011: 4th
2012: 8th
2013: 13th
2014: 10th
2015: 1st

Or how about FSU with Jimbo fall out....

FSU
2015: 3rd (5 five star players)
2016: 2nd (Jimbo leaves)
2017: 5th (4 five star players)
2018: 10th

Based on class rankings, you'd think FSU would be competing for national championships in 2018. Instead they went 5-7 and lost to us. It all comes down to coaching past a certain point.

Advertisement
Based on class rankings, you'd think FSU would be competing for national championships in 2018. Instead they went 5-7 and lost to us. It all comes down to coaching past a certain point.
Correctamundo! I mean, you do need some ballers, but coaching and player development go hand in hand and those are much stronger contributors to success and especially, lasting success. Also, the fact that Dabo found good to great coaches and held onto them for longer than most are able to.

Correctamundo! I mean, you do need some ballers, but coaching and player development go hand in hand and those are much stronger contributors to success and especially, lasting success. Also, the fact that Dabo found good to great coaches and held onto them for longer than most are able to.

One might observe that Ed Orgeron was a corch, then won a title when he had Joe Brady and Dave Aranda as coordinators. Now he's a corch again. Dabo was a bigger corch than anyone and on the verge of being sent back to being an insurance salesman before hiring Morris and Venables in consecutive years. Diaz won 6, then hired Lashlee, and in yr 2 is on the verge of 10 wins in a short season and a NY6 bowl. Imagine if he added an elite DC.

I think other programs hit on guys and we lose out on a few down the stretch putting us 10-12 range which is good for any year and exceptional considering I’m not sure what sport we thought we were playing last year but it was ugly

If you have a top 15 class, especially top 10, you've done your job recruiting and it's now up to coaching. Look at the difference between these two teams.

Clemson under Dabo
2011: 8th
2012: 14th
2013: 14th
2014: 13th
2015: 4th - National Championship appearance and the start of a dynasty

Compare that to:

USC post Carroll
2011: 4th
2012: 8th
2013: 13th
2014: 10th
2015: 1st

Or how about FSU with Jimbo fall out....

FSU
2015: 3rd (5 five star players)
2016: 2nd (Jimbo leaves)
2017: 5th (4 five star players)
2018: 10th

This.

we have talent to be a consistent top 10 team with double digit wins! Now it’s about coaching the talent we have and making the next jump. The “bandwagon recruits” will come once they know we are back to our winning ways...

I know no one wants to hear about band wagon kids but let’s be honest when your a winning program you bring in kids like this to finish taking you over the top

Advertisement
And that’s fine. A good staff with perennial top 10 classes and a difference maker at QB can attain any goal you’d have as a program.
THIS

Be a perennial Top 10 recruiting program, and you've got more than enough good talent to compete at the upper echelon. Then it's all about coaching and development. Can't invest heavily in your players and ignore your staff.

We need to upgrade our D staff this offseason!

don't really care. this class is full of Florida kids, and more importantly mostly south Florida dawgs.

The best players on this current team are all from outside of the state of Florida. There are great players everywhere, and I think we need to stop this myth that south Florida kids are better than their rankings.

Not to take away from this class and the excellent job Diaz has done considering last years on field results, I’m just saying that Miami should strive to be a national recruiting force (we always were and the 2001 team was a perfect example).

Advertisement
Also, I’d rather the 10-15th best class and a first round draft pick QB.

College, like the NFL, is more and more about the triggerman. You can win a ton of games with solid defense and a couple of playmakers if you have Heisman level QB play. It’s the fastest way to have a winning team.

Sheesh even when we add 2 5 star prospects and a borderline 5 star prospect in Jake, we’re still at the bottom half of the top 10. It’s big boy league at the top.

make it rain money GIF

Just ****ing around with the class calculator...and not that any of this really matters because on paper is one thing but evaluations and development matter just as much or more, but I'm a numbers guy so I like to move stuff around and see what shakes out.

What do you guys think is the absolute ceiling for this class?

I added Garcia, Maason Smith (yes I know he's almost definitely not coming), T2 (yes I know he's almost definitely not coming), McGhee, and Payton.

Gives us a score of 285.79. Right now, there are only 3 teams with a higher number than that (of course, ton of moving parts between now and when the ink dries). Bama, OSU, and LSU are the only 3 above 285.

For reference, the 2018 class which finished #8 in the country had a score of 280.87.

So I think that's pretty much the absolute (and probably unrealistic) ceiling. But even adding Garcia, Payton, and another 1-2 decent prospects gets us into the top 10, almost certainly. Which would be an INSANE job by the staff, all things considered.

Where do y'all think we end up? I will say when it's all said and done, we sneak inside the Top 10. Probably at #10 or #9, IMO. We're 13th right now, by the way.
you need to get you one of those UFAG calcumalators.Those MFers would have us at number one...

The fact this class is full of major South Florida prospects probably means our class is severely underrated. Can we develop these kids? That remains to be seen.

Advertisement
Back