CIS experts told me it is impossible to get faster

moshated305

Senior
Some of it is also technique. A lot of kids don't know how to run a proper 40 in HS. Better teaching in college and they also train specifically for the combine as well.

d--1

Sophomore
Some of it is also technique. A lot of kids don't know how to run a proper 40 in HS. Better teaching in college and they also train specifically for the combine as well.
Exactly. How much do they train for those early times versus training for the combine?

OriginalGatorHater

Sophomore
View attachment 81941
View attachment 81942View attachment 81943View attachment 81944View attachment 81945View attachment 81946

This is just a few examples from that article but people commonly talk about high school 40 times. A lot of players can improve their times greatly while adding weight from what they were in highschool. Look at greedy, jackson and redwine numbers
Faster 40 times does not necessarily mean they are getting faster.

They may just be getting better technique and learning how to run the 40 better. This does not mean they are going to be any faster when it comes to a game.

Travis Bickle

Freshman
Homer's a really good example. Kid ran track all through high school and was really good at it. It's no surprise that his times are really similar to what he ran in high school. Then you look at other kids who have no experience running track. I bet the improvements for those guys must be eye-opening.

ilovelamp51

All ACC
You can make similar arguments with arm strength with a QB. Sure it can be strengthened, developed, etc.. but Jeff George's arm came from the good Lord, not hard work. Joe Yearby was never going to run with Dalvin Cook. It's just genetics.

Tetragrammaton Cane

Bandwagon Driverless
You can make similar arguments with arm strength with a QB. Sure it can be strengthened, developed, etc.. but Jeff George's arm came from the good Lord, not hard work. Joe Yearby was never going to run with Dalvin Cook. It's just genetics.
I wouldn’t limit it to “just genetics” … maybe they had a better coach.

Jeff George, Randy Moss, Usain Bolt … these are the extreme ends of the bell curve. They’re special. Moving a kid from 4.6/7 to 4.4/4.5 (and sometimes 4.3’s) CAN BE training. It should almost be expected for DBs and WR’s.

So Jaquan Johnson didn’t train? Didn’t learn the magic step pattern? Chose to add questions to his draft? That’s absurd. It’s illogical and it shows zero knowledge of performance training.

manimal256

Recruit
The biggest thing I learned from the list, is that if the vertical doesn't match the 40 time (4.7+ with 30in+ vert) expect a big improvement.

miamimike305

Freshman
I think you're getting confused with explosiveness vs running. You cannot teach explosiveness, that is genetics. Either you have it or don't.

cowboycane

All-ACC
I think it is a ridiculous thought that spending 4 years in a good college strength program won't make you faster. I don't think it is reasonable to expect a typical kid to go from a 4.8 to a 4.4, but to say kids don't get faster is pretty wild.

I also think that running the 40 is a skill in and of itself with its own technique and players who spend time with a guru training for a couple of months leading up to the combine will get faster as a matter of course due to learning the right techniques.

simplycanes

Senior
After about 6 years of CrossFit and nearly a decade of eating exclusively from the Weight Watchers section of the frozen food section my 40 time is down to 5.15 from 5.25. Take that CIScience

gatorsSUCK!

Sophomore
Gus Felder, the opening weighed 370 lbs...nfl combine after he trained at McDonald’s , he weighted 690 lbs. rumored he ate a customer whole. Guy eats tubs of crisco while watching chic flicks

TheMatador

All-ACC
runners will always increase strength and technique to better there times, Im sure the coaches and teammates knew these guys could run from jump street. Out of HS u get an idea if guys r fast by film not times but u cant be running 4.7's at db or skill positions IMO if u want to be elite. With college training they can improve there times a bit especially if they didnt know how to run a forty or do any drill properly.

To me the 10 yard split for DL is hella more important than anything (at least for me), 40's are an idea if a guy can run well but to me get off is the most important thing. Like the 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle are better indicators if a wr can make a cutin and out of routes quickly. You can explode in a straight line but if you can’t make cuts in and out of your routes your a one trick pony. Odell had did the cone drill in 6.69 secs and the shuttle in under 4 That’s freaky and elite...a guy like Dorsett can beat him in a 40 but u cant run in straight line vs top comp.
Funny. Years ago a friend went into watch film with one of Erickson's assistants. A gut on staff with whom he was very tight. Might have been Sonny, but I'm not sure. Can't really remember. My friend asked if the coaches could tell a guy's speed from film. The coach said, "not really."

I've always wondered about that, since I like to look at videos but I know I'm not skilled at evaluating players.

Tetragrammaton Cane

Bandwagon Driverless
All you have to be is fast enough, just ask the Canadian
View attachment 81954
At age 19, before he had ever taken steroids, he had already run 10.25. So, asking him what made him fast … he would probably say afu yam and banana … LOL.

AUcane

All-ACC
Funny. Years ago a friend went into watch film with one of Erickson's assistants. A gut on staff with whom he was very tight. Might have been Sonny, but I'm not sure. Can't really remember. My friend asked if the coaches could tell a guy's speed from film. The coach said, "not really."

I've always wondered about that, since I like to look at videos but I know I'm not skilled at evaluating players.
To determine a kid's speed? No, of course not. But to determine whether or not the kid has enough speed - for sure.

One of the legendary examples of body transformations came from Darrin Smith. came in as a 190 pound 4.7/4.8 LB. Left as a 228 pound low 4.4 guy.