CIS Bowl: Wash St vs Oregon

My problem w Leach is he gives zero fcks about defense, so if went that route, we would have to have a top notch DC to accompany him.

What... You don’t want this guy walking into SoFlo living rooms on the trail???

FF59BB5D-BB4B-40E9-BBD5-87D940BF70D5.gif

Advertisement
the QB as WSU is on a different stratosphere than the guys we got, lets see of the NFL misses on him like they did Minshew, guy is amazing

his class sucks. Wtf are you talking about. He will never make a playoff run recruiting like this. If Manny ever fielded a class like that I would fly the plane over the stadium myself.
Lmao wait until December. Haha you guys make me laugh. Mario has his team in the top 10 and we are trying to have a winning season in a garbage conference. Btw we lose more recruits.

Advertisement
Yes I assume that a ballhawking 4-3 defense would pair nicely with Leach. ****, bring back Randy Shannon as DC (you have to have a "Miami guy" on the staff after all) and we're set

Real talk; I would have no problem w Randy coming back as a DC. Forgot what thread it was posted in, but Randy’s def here was good, well above average, and when we had the horses, it was elite (and ya’ll know how much I hate that word).

Leach w Shannon could work.

Lmao wait until December. Haha you guys make me laugh. Mario has his team in the top 10 and we are trying to have a winning season in a garbage conference. Btw we lose more recruits.
This right here in red and @OriginalGatorHater, I’m sure, believes this part too. As it relates to us, we’re gonna hemorrhage more recruits and portal transfers. I expect us to easily finish ranked north of 20 on NSD.

As for Mario, his class doesn’t look special right now and I think what OGH sees in Oregon’s class is the average rank of the recruits not being near elite. I have no idea what will happen at Oregon on NSD as Mario’s known as a strong closer. He can definite finish higher but how many spots does he have left and if he hits every target, what happens to the average?

It really doesn’t matter to me personally. I’d be thrilled to have him here too.

Advertisement
Real talk; I would have no problem w Randy coming back as a DC. Forgot what thread it was posted in, but Randy’s def here was good, well above average, and when we had the horses, it was elite (and ya’ll know how much I hate that word).

Leach w Shannon could work.

I was listening to a Canes podcast last week (wasn't one from this site) and one of the callers to the podcast was a former Canes player with an interesting perspective. Said Shannon was the best DC Miami ever had. As a HC he got zero support from the administration in terms of a budget for staff or facilities. He won some big games but would lose relatively easy games.

In a lot of ways 2019 Diaz is 2007 Randy Shannon. 2006 Miami went 7-6 with offense minded coach (Coker). 2007 Shannon went 5-7.

2018 Miami went 7-6 with offense minded coach (Richt). 2019 Diaz will probably go 5-7.

If it plays out the same then it will be:
2019 5-7
2020 7-6
2021 9-4
2022 7-5

If Blake James is still around, I'm sure he will feel vindicated after a 9-4 season and give Diaz another 3 year deal (I'm not kidding). Then after 7-5, Miami has to buy out his contract and Miami goes after a Matt Campbell type (Al Golden pt 2). Rinse and repeat. The cycle starts anew.

Miami has had a few successes at hiring HCs.

One of Miami's best coaching hires was to get a innovative offensive coach from WSU. Fans were up in arms- if he was so good, why was he at a backwater school like Washington State? Gimmick offense. Throws too much. Ground game wins championships . He hadn't won anything. Erickson turned out pretty good. I think Leach could also be successful, with Shannon as his Sonny Lubick.

The other good hire was Mark Richt. I still think Miami could have done better (Herman was available) but Richt steadied a floundering program. That said, he had been fired for massively underachieving and could never get UGA over the hump. There is another former SEC coach, who did get his team over the hump and has a national championship, and would have an affordable salary. He has a big buyout, but I assume Miami could negotiate the buyout. Les Miles. He was damaged goods because he was behind the curve on offense. Now he believes in spread offenses. I would put him #1 on my list to stop the bleeding and give Miami instant credibility.

I was listening to a Canes podcast last week (wasn't one from this site) and one of the callers to the podcast was a former Canes player with an interesting perspective. Said Shannon was the best DC Miami ever had. As a HC he got zero support from the administration in terms of a budget for staff or facilities. He won some big games but would lose relatively easy games.

In a lot of ways 2019 Diaz is 2007 Randy Shannon. 2006 Miami went 7-6 with offense minded coach (Coker). 2007 Shannon went 5-7.

2018 Miami went 7-6 with offense minded coach (Richt). 2019 Diaz will probably go 5-7.

2019 5-7
2020 7-6
2021 9-4
2022 7-5

If Blake James is still around, I'm sure he will feel vindicated after a 9-4 season and give Diaz another 3 year deal (I'm not kidding). Then after 7-5, Miami has to buy out his contract and Miami goes after a Matt Campbell type (Al Golden pt 2). Rinse and repeat. The cycle starts anew.

One of Miami's best coaching hires was to get a innovative offensive coach from WSU. Fans were up in arms- if he was so good, why was he at a backwater school like Washington State? Gimmick offense. Throws too much. Ground game wins championships . He hadn't won anything. Erickson turned out pretty good. I think Leach could also be successful, with Shannon as his Sonny Lubick.

The other good hire was Mark Richt. I still think Miami could have done better (Herman was available) but Richt steadied a floundering program. That said, he had been fired for massively underachieving and could never get UGA over the hump. There is another former SEC coach, who did get his team over the hump and has a national championship, and would have an affordable salary. He has a big buyout, but I assume Miami could negotiate the buyout. Les Miles. He was damaged goods because he was behind the curve on offense. Now he believes in spread offenses. I would put him #1 on my list to stop the bleeding and give Miami instant credibility.
Any Cane player that said Shannon was a better DC than Sonny Lubick or Wannstedt needs his head examined pronto.....Jesus

2019 5-7
2020 7-6
2021 9-4
2022 7-5

The one constant throughout the years is the lack of support for the football team. Its not the 80's anymore. We cant do this on the cheap.

What... You don’t want this guy walking into SoFlo living rooms on the trail???

View attachment 100406

Lots of kids still want to play for the Canes. Mark Richt was a historically great recruiter. Jadon Haselwood grew up a Canes fan and wanted to play for Miami. How come Richt didnt get Haselwood? Because Haselwood saw a locker room full of soft players with a loser mentality. Didn't matter how smooth Richt was in the living room, kids with a winner's mentality dont want to be on teams with other players who dont care about winning. If he went to a sec team, then you can say bags won out. I don't think that was the case for Oklahoma. He wanted to play in Riley's offense (Riley was Leach's protege in case you weren't aware).

Leach wins games and runs an exciting offense. Every game could be a highlight reel for WRs. Haselwood would have thrived. 21st century kids are all about "the gram" and social media. Offensive players would be celebrities in a high flying Miami offense. Leach as Miami HC probably lands Haselwood while "great recruiter " Richt does not.

Advertisement
Lots of kids still want to play for the Canes. Mark Richt was a historically great recruiter. Jadon Haselwood grew up a Canes fan and wanted to play for Miami. How come Richt didnt get Haselwood? Because Haselwood saw a locker room full of soft players with a loser mentality. Didn't matter how smooth Richt was in the living room, kids with a winner's mentality dont want to be on teams with other players who dont care about winning.

Leach wins games and runs an exciting offense. Every game could be a highlight reel for WRs. Haselwood would have thrived. 21st century kids are all about "the gram" and social media. Offensive players would be celebrities in a high flying Miami offense. Leach as Miami HC probably lands Haselwood while "great recruiter " Richt does not.
I don’t know, maybe. Richt with Helfrich or Yost would’ve fixed a lot. I’d take Mike Leach over Manny in a second because I know that one side of the ball would be elite and Manny can’t recruit either. On top of it, Manny’s defensive hires suck so he’s really not offering a better outlook than Leach would. I’d rather have Mario with competent coordinators.

We lose more recruits because the WSU 2 stars have no one to flip too. What are they going to do? Flip to D2? Manny sucks too. They both suck.

Advertisement
I don’t know, maybe. Richt with Helfrich or Yost would’ve fixed a lot. I’d take Mike Leach over Manny in a second because I know that one side of the ball would be elite and Manny can’t recruit either. On top of it, Manny’s defensive hires suck so he’s really not offering a better outlook than Leach would. I’d rather have Mario with competent coordinators.

If you look at different hiring philosophies each possible coach has a decent argument. Guess it depends on what model you think would be most successful given our current situation.

Erickson- Leach (innovative offense)
Richt- Miles (stability)
Davis- Cristobal (recruiting)

Before I get negged- I'm not saying Cristobal is Davis. What I'm saying is that Davis's strength was recruiting. Thats Cristobal's strength. Coaching ability is a different issue.

This right here in red and @OriginalGatorHater, I’m sure, believes this part too. As it relates to us, we’re gonna hemorrhage more recruits and portal transfers. I expect us to easily finish ranked north of 20 on NSD.

As for Mario, his class doesn’t look special right now and I think what OGH sees in Oregon’s class is the average rank of the recruits not being near elite. I have no idea what will happen at Oregon on NSD as Mario’s known as a strong closer. He can definite finish higher but how many spots does he have left and if he hits every target, what happens to the average?

It really doesn’t matter to me personally. I’d be thrilled to have him here too.

I was talking about WSU. I though the guy was saying WSUs class was great lol. I got confused and said their class was trash.

I do agree though Oregons class is not near elite, like it was last year. I would be thrilled to have him here too.

If you look at different hiring philosophies each possible coach has a decent argument. Guess it depends on what model you think would be most successful given our current situation.

Erickson- Leach (innovative offense)
Richt- Miles (stability)
Davis- Cristobal (recruiting)

Before I get negged- I'm not saying Cristobal is Davis. What I'm saying is that Davis's strength was recruiting. Thats Cristobal's strength. Coaching ability is a different issue.
I agree. When I think of Mario, I see more in the Butch School. Butch was a ridiculous evaluator of talent, a great recruiter and he hired great assistants. I never thought he was a great game day coach. But he was an overall great coach.

I see Leach in the Erickson mold as well though weirder. He would get a lot out of the offensive talent and do things to give defenses fits.

I was talking about WSU. I though the guy was saying WSUs class was great lol. I got confused and said their class was trash.

I do agree though Oregons class is not near elite, like it was last year. I would be thrilled to have him here too.
Leach is an expert at finding guys that fit exactly what he wants to do on offense. He’s actually elite at it. Butch was too but Butch was a top. Itch recruiter... Leach... not so much. But it’s amazing that he gets the results he gets with a lot of guys no one really wants.

Advertisement
Back