Chud/Mario combo will be head coaching solution....

Hey, in case you haven't seen the memo, within the coaching fraternity and national media it's long been recognized that the Miami fan base sucks - half-empty stadiums, shortage of deep pockets, unable to retain successful coaches, counter-productive fringe (see this board). So we might, as suggested above, be confined to going the in-bred route and sniffing out old Canes should Golden be fired or bolt for another job. But even that route isn't a slam dunk, consider:

- Again, some may not have received the memo, but sadly BUTCH DAVIS in not hireable. The stench from North Carolina, John Blake and his escapades to the academic issues which are back under NCAA investigation, is the reason Butch hasn't coached since 2010. That's 2010, folks. And, by the way, he's about to turn 64.

- Chud is a good man and decent offensive coordinator, though folks with good memories may recall *****ing about his play calling when he was the OC. After this season, could be in line for another NFL shot. Would he leave the NFL for a college job, and if so what would that say about his NFL stock. He's been away from the college game for more than 12 years. Would he want to recruit, babysit players, oversee a rebuild, deal with a fickle fan base?

- Mario Cristobal might be the best and only option from within the Cane Family . . . well-paid OL/recruiter from Alabama, who got fired by another former family member at FIU, and then was brought back into the family before bolting after a few days to Tuscaloosa. Miami can probably afford him and he'd jump at the offer. Sadly, don't see anyone else lining up to hire him as head coach. But this might be our best and only ex-Cane option.

So, as stated above, maybe the fan base needs to get out of the '90s and get a touch of reality. Like it or not, we might want to pull for this current group, because there are no slam-dunk saviors on the horizon.

You need to separate the fact that our sad BOT will not consider Butch Davis for a coaching position, and some claim that he is "unhireable"....sure, the premise is the same, but Petrino was "unhireable" until Louisville decided they wanted to make sure they were relevant post Strong.

Again, not disagreeing with the bottom line, but the fact is that our admin is more concerned with outside perception than any true desire to win. If money is truly a concern and the desire to get the program back is there, Butch makes complete sense as a short term solution to make UM a more appealing coaching destination.

I have no idea if he would succeed, but it wouldn't be for a lack of motivation to do so.....

UM

So.

You're a BOT member.

You're responsible for this ****show! Fix it!

Advertisement
This fanbase is so soft.

I will be demanding Butch and will not settle for Mario and Chud. If you can count on one thing, it's this fanbase always mentioning Chud and Mario as legitimate head coaching candidates.

Bunch of soft dopes. They're all lathered up over Dud. If the guy didn't play for UM no one would be thinking about him.

This fanbase is so soft.

I will be demanding Butch and will not settle for Mario and Chud. If you can count on one thing, it's this fanbase always mentioning Chud and Mario as legitimate head coaching candidates.

Bunch of soft dopes. They're all lathered up over Dud. If the guy didn't play for UM no one would be thinking about him.
We've become like Michigan where some keeping looking for a "Miami guy." **** a Miami guy, just get me a guy that can coach his balls off, and run a program properly. Everything else will take care of itself.

This fanbase is so soft.

We've become like Michigan where some keeping looking for a "Miami guy." **** a Miami guy, just get me a guy that can coach his balls off, and run a program properly. Everything else will take care of itself.

I'd keep a close eye on Justin Fuente. He coached for 5 years under Gary Patterson, has modeled himself after Coach P and has done a Herculean job at Memphis. If he kills it again this year UM should swoop in before someone else does. I'd look to get the next Gary Patterson or Urban Meyer while they're still gettable.

Advertisement
This fanbase is so soft.

I'd keep a close eye on Justin Fuente. He coached for 5 years under Gary Patterson, has modeled himself after Coach P and has done a Herculean job at Memphis. If he kills it again this year UM should swoop in before someone else does. I'd look to get the next Gary Patterson or Urban Meyer while they're still gettable.

Agree.

If he wins the AAC, again, we need to hire him before they even play in their bowl game!

This fanbase is so soft.

Agree.

If he wins the AAC, again, we need to hire him before they even play in their bowl game!
He's already done in 3 years what golden hasn't been able to do in a decade of corching, win 10 games in a season and win a bowl game. Anyone that models themselves under Gary Patterson is good in my book especially if he wins the AAC again.

Schiano. Nebraska passed on him.

LSU may have an opening after this season, and he's been named as a possible candidate.

Then there's the NFL. He's actually a pretty good coordinator.

But not a Miami Head Coach.

Advertisement
Chud is a lifetime pro coordinator. Schiano will be a pro line coach or college coordinator. Mario will continue to be a multiple coordinating coach in college representing a big school making $$ with several titles but not calling any shots. Unless these guys go to a really small winless college program (like Coker) I don't see any of these guys as a college head coach or us wanting them. (with the exception of Chud whom we might want - but he's a pro coordinator.)

Ultimately we should set expectations that because we are not a nationally dominant program at the moment that we get an A+ coordinator (50% chance) or a head coach with good experience at a smaller school (Al Golden all over). We get lucky with a guy like this and become a national champion - or have more Golden years!!!

Unless the university changes its mindset on what can make serious $$$$ for the school - we are looking at a lot of 50/50. Champions run at 80/20.

Is there any doubt that the administration will f*ck up the hire like they've f*cked up the last 3. I can already see Mario's press conference, :vogel:

Advertisement
Chud really blew it by taking the Cleveland head job.

That place is a graveyard for head coaches.

He was thought of as one of the top 4-5 head coaching prospects in the NFL prior to taking the Browns job. He would be a head coach or coordinator in the NFL but the Colts paid him a 10.5 million dollar buyout that he has to forfeit if he takes a coordinator or head coach job before next year.

Chud wants the job. The NFL is a cruel league for head coaches and I believe he will think twice about ever taking a head job in the NFL again.

He played for Jimmy and coached under Butch. He ran the most dynamic offense in school history. Guy has 3 rings. Has improved every offense he has been involved with in the NFL drastically. Has been a huge part of the Colts success. What more do you want?

Chud has forgot more about offensive football than James Coley will ever know.

He will be the guy and will be a grand slam home run.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back