DE: Rousseau / Phillips / Blissett
Will: Huff / Joyner / Steed / Cave
Mike: McCloud / Brooks / Jennings / Flagg
Striker: Carter / Frierson / Washington
Boundary: Blades / Couch / Clarke
Field: Williams / Ivey / Dunson
Strong: Bolden / Smith / Balom
Free: Hall / Avantae / Harrell
Were these Field/Boundary combinations actually being thrown out there in Spring practice? They seem backward. Same for the Safety position, though the Diaz defense has interchangeable field and boundary Safety positions.

I'd also be surprised if Huff overtook Brooks. Like Huff a ton, though. I imagine you inserting him into the starting lineup is more of a hot take.

I think Frierson is the striker going into this season. We'll see if he can show consistency.

FWIW, that's a pretty talented defense. If they don't get results with that, they're doing it wrong.

Advertisement
We can say that the biggest question mark when the new staff got here after golden was corner back and many threads were posted about how the Dline made our db’s look good. Same can be said for Clemson Bama Uga and lsu that recruit elite dudes in the line and put them in the nfl.
Can we at least say that our db coaches have been respectable at the very least.
However, my concern this past year and moving forward isnt the corner backs considering we have highly rated kids back there. It’s the front 4. Despite being very limited in my knowledge of the game I have a legit concern in either the coaching or the scheme of last years line.
I brought this up on this board right after the UF loss and it was echoed by others that this wasn’t
Manny’s defense. We should’ve gone after Taco Hotdog and everyone else. It seems like the fighter that is defending his title and instead of fighting to win he’s fighting not to lose.

Our defense was #11 in the P5 in rush yards allowed per game, #7 in yards per attempt, #16 in rush TDs allowed. We were 5th in the P5 in sacks per game and 2nd in TFL per game. We held the gators 125 yards under their total yardage average for the past two seasons. We lost thanks to two blown opportunities by our offense which ended on downs at the gates 36 and 26 yard lines and special teams ineptitude. Our defense actually almost pulled out the game by themselves with two late interceptions against the 3rd most potent offense in the SEC behind the national champs and bama.

Our defense was #11 in the P5 in rush yards allowed per game, #7 in yards per attempt, #16 in rush TDs allowed. We were 5th in the P5 in sacks per game and 2nd in TFL per game. We held the gators 125 yards under their total yardage average for the past two seasons. We lost thanks to two blown opportunities by our offense which ended on downs at the gates 36 and 26 yard lines and special teams ineptitude. Our defense actually almost pulled out the game by themselves with two late interceptions against the 3rd most potent offense in the SEC behind the national champs and bama.
The gator team that played us with taco may or may not be the same team with trask.
I like our defense. But we played some young soft olines.
Our defense has been keeping us in games since manny got here. Maybe I’m being too critical. But maybe we’ve also played some bad teams. UVA was putting up some umbers and we held them too. But maybe I’m too used to looking at sacs.

The gator team that played us with taco may or may not be the same team with trask.
I like our defense. But we played some young soft olines.
Our defense has been keeping us in games since manny got here. Maybe I’m being too critical. But maybe we’ve also played some bad teams. UVA was putting up some umbers and we held them too. But maybe I’m too used to looking at sacs.

Which is why I used the past two seasons as a barometer. They've averaged 429 yds/gm the past two seasons. Franks started the majority of those games. We held them to barely 300 yards. I agree that Trask is vastly superior, which is also why I don't understand the love for mullen from our fanbase. If we had a QB like Trask and Manny started Taco Hotdog over him we would be assembling a guillotine outside the Hecht.

Which is why I used the past two seasons as a barometer. They've averaged 429 yds/gm the past two seasons. Franks started the majority of those games. We held them to barely 300 yards. I agree that Trask is vastly superior, which is also why I don't understand the love for mullen from our fanbase. If we had a QB like Trask and Manny started Taco Hotdog over him we would be assembling a guillotine outside the Hecht.
Thanks for The clarification. I still have a hard time wondering why we struggle in recruiting on the defensive side given those stats.
Mullen had to start taco given his pre-season hype even as a recruit. Maybe trask didn’t get the snaps in practice. Regardless it was a fail on his part big time and that injury to taco saved that teams season and their recruiting class. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good.

Advertisement
Reading this thread a few things jump out to me:

Williams development is very important to this teams success.

If bandy stayed we would be set. We’d have experienced outside corners and then a nickel corner in bandy who can tackle. Might be able to not see the striker thing as often.

Were these Field/Boundary combinations actually being thrown out there in Spring practice? They seem backward. Same for the Safety position, though the Diaz defense has interchangeable field and boundary Safety positions.

I'd also be surprised if Huff overtook Brooks. Like Huff a ton, though. I imagine you inserting him into the starting lineup is more of a hot take.

I think Frierson is the striker going into this season. We'll see if he can show consistency.

FWIW, that's a pretty talented defense. If they don't get results with that, they're doing it wrong.

You're right about the field/boundary corners. You're probably right that Brooks will hold off Huff, Joyner and whoever else at WLB. I just have a hunch about Huff and am excited about him. You're probably right about Frierson as the striker, and they did move Keontra there to compete, but Manny and co. like talking about "putting the best 11 on the field" and I expect Carter to be in that conversation since he's a senior who's played a ton.

I don't know why y'all acting all surprise.... the only guys that run a 4.4 our Frierson, Bolden, and Gurvan and that's a maybe. I personally dont think Gurvan is that fast...forgot what game it was but he got completely our ran pretty easily. UM secondary looked extremely slow against FIU, which should never happen. Compared to the elite teams of CFB and the old UM secondary, there is definitely a lack of speed in the secondary now. The more I think about and watch tape the more slower I think are secondary is...there is definitely a lack in long speed.
Couch is the fastest guy on defense (at least til Tae shows up)

Advertisement
You're right about the field/boundary corners. You're probably right that Brooks will hold off Huff, Joyner and whoever else at WLB. I just have a hunch about Huff and am excited about him. You're probably right about Frierson as the striker, and they did move Keontra there to compete, but Manny and co. like talking about "putting the best 11 on the field" and I expect Carter to be in that conversation since he's a senior who's played a ton.
Carter has the look but he is very stiff and takes bad angles. Romeo was the perfect fit at Striker, we need a player like him to replace him.

I have a few big concerns. First our CB depth/lack of coverage guys, when teams go 5 wide we do not have 5 guys that can cover IMO.
Our DT rotation is thin and lacks a star player, maybe someone like Nesta reaches his potential but right now on paper it is thin and not overly talented

But like you said, that lineup with our schedule SHOULD dominate

Advertisement
My hips don't lie
See the source image

Advertisement
If Keyshawn Sees important defensive snaps that mean or DB depth chart has been obliterated this season yo
I'm just giving in an opinion. Nothing etched in stone. If he at least contributes. , it means we have depth. To me that's positive...

Carter has the look but he is very stiff and takes bad angles. Romeo was the perfect fit at Striker, we need a player like him to replace him.

No great reason to love him, and maybe he'll only play in blitz packages with a talent infusion in the secondary this year and last.

However, Diaz seems to favor upperclassmen.

Aside from Shaq, there were several contributors who played ahead of younger, perhaps more talented players.

The following players were rammed down our throats last year despite not always performing well:

Bethel - out of football
Knowles - out of football
Pinckney - out of football
Nnoruka - out of football
Garvin - 7th round
Finley - undrafted FA
Bandy - undrafted FA
Hill - undrafted FA
Patchan - transfer
Ragone - no comment

Those guys played because the staff trusted them while Miller, Harvey, Blissett, Holley, K. Smith, Brooks, Joyner, C. Williams, Couch, Frierson etc spent most of the season watching from the sideline. They'll find a way to get Carter on the field as the lone senior in the defensive backfield. Book it.

Do yall homework on Al Jr...

Anybody trying to tell you he wasn't good last year doesn't know what they talking about.

Al was solid for sure. DJ was a RS fresh I believe..DJ is probably best in a press quarters so he can take advantage of his length..all our corners need to take a huge jump and finish plays. Plenty of time they were in good position and just didn’t finish

Advertisement
Back