Christian Williams

Advertisement
We’re also going to be able to create pressure with 4 guys with the NASCAR package on 3rd downs, which will give the secondary a boost assuming Baker figures out not to blitz a safety on 4th and 17
Does that NASCAR package entails "if ya ain't cheatin; yo ain't trying "?
I kid...
Now the last line is definitely the independent variable. God willing Baker has drowned himself in film study during the close down...

Last edited:
I think Blades was definitely our best CB last year. That being said, I’m not ready to give up on Ivey. He’s young and has some traits you can’t teach but he must take a big step forward this year if he doesn’t want to get passed up.
I’ve given my criticism and praise on ivey last season and I agree that I’m not ready to give up on him

Advertisement
Respectfully disagree.

It wasn't just a few bad games it was most of the games he started, he was bad.

Ivey is not so much better than Blades, not even close. You can believe he may be better, but there is no tangible evidence that he's better, especially not based off last season.

Ivey gave up the most catches off targets, the most yards & TD's of any DB in our secondary last year & that's not up for debate. Blades had the best PFF grade amongst the CB's & has the best technique of the group. Blades issue is overall physicality at the point of attack & fighting off blocks, he's not a good tackler, but his coverage grade was better than Bandy's last year & he has better physical tools than any Corner on the roster.

Ivey has a long way to go before he can be labeled as "better" than anyone, he has very poor technique in Press man, his footwork is terribly inconsistent & his hips are stiff. He opens the gate unlike any CB I've seen in a long time, he gets beat really bad on any route that goes beyond 10yds, he plays with bad eye discipline & routinely got worked last year vs WR's with any kind of remedial skill.

Go rewatch him vs UNC, CMU, GTech, UVA, Duke, FIU & La Tech, WR's were putting a clinic on vs him & he was lost in coverage quite a bit. The UNC game exposed him, he's susceptible to the Deep ball bad & doesn't understand how to use his length to keep his man in front of him. UVA threw at him literally 7 plays in a row & he couldn't get a single stop.

Now, he has spent this offseason working on his feet with my man Scott & the coaches at Goldfeet so I' give him credit for that & maybe he improved a great deal & plays well, but until it actually happens on the field I'm not buying it. He's got a lot of work to do before anyone should say he's better than Blades.

Idk what yall are watching but Blades can cover really well, does he get beat? Yes absolutely. Does he need to also improve on many things? Yup, sure does. But he's a good pure cover corner & has yet to play his best ball. Blades is legit.

based on what I saw last year (and certainly he can prove me incorrect), but he's more Carlos Armour than Mike Rumph(the player)

Do yall homework on Al Jr...

Anybody trying to tell you he wasn't good last year doesn't know what they talking about.

I’ve watched all the tape granted I don’t have all22 but I’m pretty sure you don’t either. Blades is way way worse “opening the gate“. I seriously don’t know what you were watching if you think he’s got good technique. I’ll give you his numbers were better but that’s results based and not indicative of his actual coverage. Plenty of overthrows or underthrows on long balls bailed him out that Ivey didn’t get. U brought up Virginia earlier and those plays he got beat on were heavily contested catches many on back shoulder balls. Only way I agree with you is Blades tools are better in that he’s the better athlete of the two but actually watching the individual players don’t know how u think blades technique is good he gets beat at the line more than any other corner last year he’s just got good makeup ability

****. Now I'm completely down on the kid. F it now I hope Ivey is a bomb *** backup...
I already upvoted you for giving him the benefit of 3 games. Lol if he’s horrible after the first game, We’ll both bail on him.

Advertisement
I’ve watched all the tape granted I don’t have all22 but I’m pretty sure you don’t either. Blades is way way worse “opening the gate“. I seriously don’t know what you were watching if you think he’s got good technique. I’ll give you his numbers were better but that’s results based and not indicative of his actual coverage. Plenty of overthrows or underthrows on long balls bailed him out that Ivey didn’t get. U brought up Virginia earlier and those plays he got beat on were heavily contested catches many on back shoulder balls. Only way I agree with you is Blades tools are better in that he’s the better athlete of the two but actually watching the individual players don’t know how u think blades technique is good he gets beat at the line more than any other corner last year he’s just got good makeup ability
This just isn't true, there's nothing that can corroborate that to being remotely close to true.

His numbers were better because he played better, Ivey gave up near 400yds in receiving, Blades only gave up 240 off 18 receptions & 0 TD's.

There's statistical evidence that shows Blades was significantly better than Ivey, Ivey aside from 2 games had a below average coverage grade. And you make excuses for his UVA performance, Blades in that same game had a TD preventing PBU while Ivey got beat on every snap he played, the same goes for UNC, CMU, FIU & La Tech.

You might believe Ivey is better, but he's not by any metric & there's simply no proof he is. If you seriously think Ivey has better technique you really must not know what you're talking about because it's not even close who's the better technician between the two. And having recovery speed is a huge part of being a CB, if you don't have recovery speed you have to be physical & have sound footwork in backpedal technique to keep from getting beat off the line, Ivey displays none of those abilities.

Ivey is an off Zone Cover 3 corner, his press man skills are subpar & again, there's not a shred of evidence to suggest otherwise. The proof is on the field, Ivey gave up the most receptions, most yards, most TD's & was targeted the most, what does that tell you?? OC's saw on tape his deficiencies & attacked him often, they kept doing it because they were successful at it.

I get you're probably a fan of Ivey & that's fine, but if you're seriously trying to argue he's better than Blades based off last year you're just flat out wrong. If you think he's going to be better this season then that's a projection forward argument & there is no right or wrong answer on that one. But last season, it's not even really a real debate. Al Jr was definitively better than Ivey in every category.

Did you see him last year? Even guys like Jackson and Redwine weren’t as bad as him soph year.
WHAT??????? Idk what games you were watching because I remember watching Redwine as a JR like "SIT HIM DOWN".....Now to Redwine's credit he stepped up his Sr and did himself a favor by sticking around and improving, thus getting selected in the 3/4 round......but yeah I can remember SEVERAL times watching Redwine look completely LOST during his Jr season. So yes, Ivey struggled his Soph year at times, IMO it was more mental lapses (GT fake punt smh smh smh), but if he can bounce back his Jr year the way Redwine did his Sr year.....hey now, i'm here to tell you, we might have one heck of a 2020 team........because Christian and TC are coming, and Ivey knows it

Advertisement
This just isn't true, there's nothing that can corroborate that to being remotely close to true.

His numbers were better because he played better, Ivey gave up near 400yds in receiving, Blades only gave up 240 off 18 receptions & 0 TD's.

There's statistical evidence that shows Blades was significantly better than Ivey, Ivey aside from 2 games had a below average coverage grade. And you make excuses for his UVA performance, Blades in that same game had a TD preventing PBU while Ivey got beat on every snap he played, the same goes for UNC, CMU, FIU & La Tech.

You might believe Ivey is better, but he's not by any metric & there's simply no proof he is. If you seriously think Ivey has better technique you really must not know what you're talking about because it's not even close who's the better technician between the two. And having recovery speed is a huge part of being a CB, if you don't have recovery speed you have to be physical & have sound footwork in backpedal technique to keep from getting beat off the line, Ivey displays none of those abilities.

Ivey is an off Zone Cover 3 corner, his press man skills are subpar & again, there's not a shred of evidence to suggest otherwise. The proof is on the field, Ivey gave up the most receptions, most yards, most TD's & was targeted the most, what does that tell you?? OC's saw on tape his deficiencies & attacked him often, they kept doing it because they were successful at it.

I get you're probably a fan of Ivey & that's fine, but if you're seriously trying to argue he's better than Blades based off last year you're just flat out wrong. If you think he's going to be better this season then that's a projection forward argument & there is no right or wrong answer on that one. But last season, it's not even really a real debate. Al Jr was definitively better than Ivey in every category.

First off I'll say this, Ivey is my guy, the potential/measurables are there and he can get it done......BUT.....

In the case of who the CB1 is, I mean, the stats don't lie. Furthermore, been so long since spring football practices, but I wonder who was starting alongside CW when he was running 1st string D....

WHAT??????? Idk what games you were watching because I remember watching Redwine as a JR like "SIT HIM DOWN".....Now to Redwine's credit he stepped up his Sr and did himself a favor by sticking around and improving, thus getting selected in the 3/4 round......but yeah I can remember SEVERAL times watching Redwine look completely LOST during his Jr season. So yes, Ivey struggled his Soph year at times, IMO it was more mental lapses (GT fake punt smh smh smh), but if he can bounce back his Jr year the way Redwine did his Sr year.....hey now, i'm here to tell you, we might have one heck of a 2020 team........because Christian and TC are coming, and Ivey knows it
Redwine played safety junior year and was a corner freshman and soph. Next time read my post completely.

I think we're counting on Ivey to improve enough to be a solid back up.
Now on Dunson. If Blades is our best cb. Are we trying to imply that Dunson got something on C. Williams?
That would be big I really like Dunson at 6'2 he really slim so obviously C Willams is physically better at this point but like another poster said maybe he comes in an suprises like Malek Young but make the MY comparison with Couch imo. Big fan of Dunson tho liked his tape. Love Clark kid could play on offence right now great project at corner but I think the kid is to fast an special with the ball in his hands to not have on offence

Advertisement
Surprised so many people thinking our CB situation is worse this year than last year. Last year we had JR Bandy as the only returning CB with considerable experience, two SOs with little experience in Blades and Ivey, and two true FR Williams and Couch.

This year we have two JRs returning with experience, two SOs with little experience (Williams/Couch), and two true FR Dunson/Clarke. It really gives us 4 CBs that should be ready to go this year, vs 3 last year. And we all know Bandy was in over his head as a CB1 last year. Between Blades/Williams/Ivey we should be able to find a legitimate CB1 this year, and have a couple solid CB2s, with Couch in the mix. I feel better about this year than I did last year.

That would be big I really like Dunson at 6'2 he really slim so obviously C Willams is physically better at this point but like another poster said maybe he comes in an suprises like Malek Young but make the MY comparison with Couch imo. Big fan of Dunson tho liked his tape. Love Clark kid could play on offence right now great project at corner but I think the kid is to fast an special with the ball in his hands to not have on offence
Hopefully we give Clark some love on returns. Special team scoring was always a plus for us when we had our good teams...

I am projecting to this year using last year. I’m not a ‘fan’ of Ivey I have no dog in the race I just don’t rely on stats to tell me who’s good cause stats don’t tell the real story tape does and I know if you think Blades has better technique u haven’t truly watched them. Stats are the reason u fans hype up guys that are truly not that great (not saying Blades) like Garvin. If Blades play matched up with his stats he would be a projected top pick right now but he’s not cause if you truly watch him he has tools but he’s not there in terms of technique at this point. I hope u watch plays where they are not targeted as well because that is almost more important than the ones they are targeted on cause you only get so many targets a game. Ivey hasn’t proven to be good yet but neither has Blades and you haven’t truly watched him if you think he is. He’s got potential feel like I’m coming off ****ting on blades here I’m just saying if you actually watch them Ivey is closer to being a shutdown corner and he really progressed as the year went along

Advertisement
Back