2023 Chris Johnson Jr

Parrish wouldn't come here if there wasn't a borderline guarantee that he was gonna play.

Do you know how the portal works?
I think he will play if he earns it over the others. I dont think its a blanket promise that they made him.

Tommy Kennedy transferred here and never saw the light if day. Shoot, I'm wondering how much Moultrie and Denis will play this year and they just transferred here.

I think you guys are putting too much stock into a player transferring here and being guaranteed playing time.

You bring in players and let them compete. Thats it.

Advertisement
No he wasn't.
Rooster ran a faster electronic forty when they were at a camp together.
And the actual team considered Harley and Rooster as the 2 fastest guys on the team.

You been repeating this myth for 2 years.
in 2019 he was clocked at 4.39 at over 200 lbs.

Yeah I think Don is plenty fast. He's also more powerful than Knighton with better vision.

Meet Miami Hurricanes RB recruit Donald Chaney Jr. of Belen​

https://www.miamiherald.com › sports › article234386807

Aug 26, 2019 — But he also has speed — his best time in the 40-yard dash was 4.39 at an Under Armour camp. Hops? He has those, too — he can easily dunk a ...

1. Chaney isn't going into his fourth year. Same class as Knighton and Parrish.
2. Just because a player is injury prone doesn't mean they get stashed in the bottom when they are healthy. He will be put where he belongs talent wise, and if he gets injured THEN he goes to the bottom bc he can't play.
3. I'm skeptical about Macho on this topic. Great poster but coached Knighton in HS if I recall, meaning very high likelihood of natural bias there. Which is normal. But I haven't heard anything but positive things about Chaney when he is healthy, so throwing his name out as a transfer candidate was a bit surprising to me.
I'm talking about after this season. If he finishes towards the bottom he will be going into his 4th year behind a number of other guys. In that scenerio he likely bounces. At no point did I say he is at the bottom of the depth chart due to injury but being able to play is an important skill. Fact is he has not been able to play a full season yet so as a coach I would not expect him to do it this season until he proves he can do it. Therefore, I would not count on him to be the workhorse since he has not shown he can stay healthy as the backup.

"If healthy"
Ay... It's a good problem to have.

I literally watched them run the 40 at the same camp. Electronic.

Rooster was a 4.51 and Chaney was high 4.5's.

(hand times are BS)

I know you're partial to Rooster because you coached at Deerfield. However, Chaney is the better overall back if healthy. Again, that's the big if. Seems like he's been a little injury prone so far. Regardless we definitely have a good problem we're debating here.

Advertisement
I'm talking about after this season. If he finishes towards the bottom he will be going into his 4th year behind a number of other guys. In that scenerio he likely bounces. At no point did I say he is at the bottom of the depth chart due to injury but being able to play is an important skill. Fact is he has not been able to play a full season yet so as a coach I would not expect him to do it this season until he proves he can do it. Therefore, I would not count on him to be the workhorse since he has not shown he can stay healthy as the backup.
Gotcha. Didnt realize you were talking about the scenario of after next year if he finishes at the bottom of the depth chart.

Parrish is going to play and it’s not favoritism. He’s the most reliable runner on the roster, he’s aware in protection and he can catch.

He's the best all-around back on the roster, he'll prove it for the next 5 months, and everyone LOL'd and hee-hee'd me all off-season for saying it. IMO when the dust settles on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, I would be 0.0% surprised if he's the most productive back on the rooster. I fully expect a pretty heavy committee, but don't be shocked if Parrish pushes for 1000 total yards this year.

12 carries a week (144 for the season) and 30 catches is not out of the realm. That puts him right around 900 yards.

Parrish is going to play and it’s not favoritism. He’s the most reliable runner on the roster, he’s aware in protection and he can catch.
Kind of reminds me of how Mike James always found a way on the field, and all of us message board gurus were constantly trying to replace him...but the kid was selfless and solid in every aspect of the game.

Advertisement
Rooster is clearly gonna get a bulk of work.
Parrish didn't transfer here to play for his RB coach and sit the bench.
And word is, Citizen is the real deal. I would assume that he's not a candidate for a redshirt.

So where do y'all think that leaves Thad and Chaney?

Anything beyond a 3 RB rotation is unrealistic. That's too many mouths to feed.

Who do y'all think ends up in that starving 4th RB spot? Thad ain't gotta chance. So do y'all think they put Chaney above Citizen?

(serious question)
Think it'll come down to pass blocking. Hopefully Citizen doesn't fall into the dreaded "freshman can't block yet" dungeon.

Yep, he brings multiple skill sets that other guys lack. Pass protection and route running is on another level. I posted over the summer I wouldn’t be shocked if he had the most “ snaps“.

Im a fan of both players but between the two, Knighton got more explosive plays but he actually got a oppotunity to show what he could do due to guys getting injured.. I think Don is the more complete back and actually mayybe faster due to track times (knee injuries definitely hurt) but so far Rooster proved it more on field, even with being suspended first part of season
Like I said on tape Chaney dont got plays

Gamebreaking against FSU that should have put clamps on game.
In open field against UNC
Against NCST
Run against Pitt

Those are all gamebreaking explosive plays

…if Graig Cooper and Warrick Dunn were to fuse DBZ style….

Yep, he brings multiple skill sets that other guys lack. Pass protection and route running is on another level. I posted over the summer I wouldn’t be shocked if he had the most “ snaps“.
Yep I can see it definitely coming from an offense that was pass first you had to be able to pass protect. He’s number one on the roster there.

Advertisement
He will get the opportunity because his coach "trust" him.. the talents are all comparably even so it's not a bad thing.. I still think rooster is under appreciated around here despite him being our most explosive returning player.. he can do his damage on a snap count tho so no worries.. everyone else gonna fight it out.

Gattis mentioned that speed and I know u are aware gattis appreciates that.. you have more knowledge probably seeing behind scenes who do you think has shown that ability to add that element.. (hopefully #12 is another because he was hyped up in recruitment)

Chaney is an overall great kid. I’d be absolutely shocked if he hit the portal and it’s for reasons I don’t want to get into.

Upmost respect to Macho but this is unlikely w/ Chaney from my perspective.
At least one back will hit the portal but it won't be Chaney

Thad will have a defined role.

He doesn't have wiggle, but hes fckin huge and tough to bring down.

Thats a 4th and short/goaline back if I've seen one. And knowing were gonna pound the rock, he will get opportunities.

Knighton also is a specialty back. The perfect 3rd and long back that you can get creative with in the passing game. Parrish is like this also, but Knighton is better.

Don and Citizen are the two all around backs.

Imo the depth chart SHOULD be this:

Don
Knighton
Thad
Citizen
Parrish

I'm sure there will be injury somewhere and things will change.
Yea but he doesn't see himself as a "designed role" kind of player. Just saying.

Advertisement
I don’t think Don has enough healthy film for anyon on here to make judgement on his ability.
Imo the limited film he does have is pretty **** good and we have to remember he’s produced with barely any playing time and limited full go in practice. That’s pretty impressive.

There have been plenty of players make it to the league and play for a long time that were injured in college for a few years.

Steed is battling for a starter’s spot and he’s had a catastrophic start to his college career. Most players would’ve tapped out.

I think we’re overreacting to how good or how bad or how injury prone anyone in that room is.

I don’t think Don has enough healthy film for anyon on here to make judgement on his ability.
Imo the limited film he does have is pretty **** good and we have to remember he’s produced with barely any playing time and limited full go in practice. That’s pretty impressive.

There have been plenty of players make it to the league and play for a long time that were injured in college for a few years.

Steed is battling for a starter’s spot and he’s had a catastrophic start to his college career. Most players would’ve tapped out.

I think we’re overreacting to how good or how bad or how injury prone anyone in that room is.
Injuries are always tough to come back from. Just the months of training and playing in games that are missed while in rehab trying to get back to 100%.

Example Frank Gore. He was killing it as a freshman behind a great offensive line coming in late in the games. 62 attempts averaging 9.1 yards a carry. Gore never really got going until he was in the NFL and was never the same after his injuries. 16,000 yards is very impressive after two torn ACL injuries.

Yea but he doesn't see himself as a "designed role" kind of player. Just saying.
None of them do. These were all blue chip RBs coming out of HS.

My point wasn't that anyone would be ok with a defined role. But if you have a defined role, I see you getting snaps as opposed to being #4 or #5 on the depth chart.

Either way, nobody knows how this stuff will play out.

Everybody said the same crap about Jake Garcia also. As soon as we signed him, all I heard was that if TVD beat Jake out he would transfer bc no way he would sit 2 years. Well, here we are and Jake is poised to be QB2.

Thats why I reacted so aggressively with this premature transfer talk. Nobody knows what will happen this year or what these kids will decide...especially 4 days into fall camp.

He will get the opportunity because his coach "trust" him.. the talents are all comparably even so it's not a bad thing.. I still think rooster is under appreciated around here despite him being our most explosive returning player.. he can do his damage on a snap count tho so no worries.. everyone else gonna fight it out.

Gattis mentioned that speed and I know u are aware gattis appreciates that.. you have more knowledge probably seeing behind scenes who do you think has shown that ability to add that element.. (hopefully #12 is another because he was hyped up in recruitment)

Rooster will play a ton and brings that element. Citizen is fast. Him and Chaney are in direct competition. One difference between Parrish and Chaney is that Parrish has proven to be a much better pass blocker so far and has been more consistent churning out 5-7 yard gains against better competition.

Advertisement
Back