2023 Chris Johnson Jr

Advertisement
I went to a college that belonged to the Colonial and several teams left from there to go to the A10. My college never did (went to Patriot).
Patriot League had some great schools, like Lehigh, Colgate, Lafayette, etc.

American?

A10 baseball back then used to have their conf tourney at Bear Stadium in Boyertown. Way to small for a D1 aluminum bat tournament. I had a few buddies that played at SJU/Temple back then.
I played in a lot of baseball tournaments at Bear Stadium vs teams from all over, like Chico, CA, etc. I am from Reading, PA. Fun years, fun times. I played at SJU.

Advertisement
I played in a lot of baseball tournaments at Bear Stadium vs teams from all over, like Chico, CA, etc. I am from Reading, PA. Fun years, fun times. I played at SJU.
I remember going to see Lonnie his freshman year down at the santander arena. What a home coming that was.

Never really understood the “but if you take away XYZ stats” line. Why are we taking them away? Do they not count or something lol? We can pick and play that game with every single athlete in America with their sport.
It's usually because people are trying to make a point about a player's inconsistency. If a guy has one long play and ten one yarders, they'll point out the fact that almost all of his gains were on a single play. Which is true but that's kind of the way football works. If a running back averages 5 yards per carry, that doesn't mean he gets exactly 5 yards every play. Throwing out big plays (the most important and game changing kind of plays) is meaningless. Teams want home run hitters. It's really hard to consistently score moving the ball slowly the entire length of the field. You score lots of points by having guys who can break 50 yard runs. Ideally, you'd prefer him not to have a bunch of negative plays but you can't throw out the one good play and only focus on the bad ones because that will make most players seem a lot worse than they actually are.

****, sorry for that luck. I’m sure that was a devastating time for you.

My point more than anything though, is that in 1997, torn ACLs were borderline death sentences for careers. That was a REALLY bad injury in 1997. The technology and medical advancements were just getting to the point where you felt you could make a full recovery, but we were honestly not that far removed from a torn ACL legitimately threatening your career. And for sure, 18 months was a nice, safe target. But it’s hard to even put into words how different this injury is in 2022 vs 1997.

The injury now is about a 9 month injury. Yes, everyone is different. Everyone reacts mentally differently to the injury. It’s certainly not a paper cut. But it’s not the end of the world anymore. And if it’s just an ACL, doctors will tell you they can have you good as new in well under a year. You gotta put in the work, but the rehab begins immediately. I’m guessing they didn’t have you jogging in a few weeks after surgery in 1997 like they do now.

Nick Bosa is one that just popped into my head while writing this. Torn ACL in Week 2 of 2020. Started all 17 games in 2021, led the league in TFLs, was 4th in the league with 15.5 sacks. He was quoted before camp even started last July saying he felt he was 100% and even stronger than pre-injury, just shy of 10 months earlier. If Don had surgery in September and it was ACL only, he should be fully ready to go right now. IIRC, he was participating in spring ball 5 months ago, albeit with no contact. If you can put a helmet on and do agility drills in February, you’re ready to rock in August. His time is now. Or it’s never.
Spot on with this. I had a niece that played soccer and tore her ACL. She was back in like 8 months.

I remember after my surgery, as soon as you got to your room, they put on this machine that would start moving your knees up and down (talk about killer torture). I didn’t get to the underwater treadmill until like 4 months in to the process.

ACL were career enders way before then. I often think about players like Melvin Bratton and others how good they would’ve been if they played when medicine was advanced the way it is now.

You no longer have to stay overnight for ACL. It’s now a same day procedure and you go home. I believe knee replacements is also a same day.

You’re spot on with everything.

It's usually because people are trying to make a point about a player's inconsistency. If a guy has one long play and ten one yarders, they'll point out the fact that almost all of his gains were on a single play. Which is true but that's kind of the way football works. If a running back averages 5 yards per carry, that doesn't mean he gets exactly 5 yards every play. Throwing out big plays (the most important and game changing kind of plays) is meaningless. Teams want home run hitters. It's really hard to consistently score moving the ball slowly the entire length of the field. You score lots of points by having guys who can break 50 yard runs. Ideally, you'd prefer him not to have a bunch of negative plays but you can't throw out the one good play and only focus on the bad ones because that will make most players seem a lot worse than they actually are.

For sure. I mean I fully understand why people do it, I just don’t agree with it. Like you said, that’s football, especially at the RB position.

Advertisement

Reading, PA. Flew into that “airport” about 50x. My dad grew up in Schuylkill Haven and my brother is still up there, for god knows what reason.

Craziest **** ever is when you go up that way now and think that, at one time, Pottsville had an NFL team. And they won a championship. These days, that town is probably lucky to support a middle school, let alone an NFL champion. Coal was once king in this country, but there’s just nothing left up there anymore.

I agree Chaney will have to compete and first team shouldn't be given, and Mario won't.

However, your formula to analyze Chaney is very one sided and manipulative. You can't just take a players best run, or his two best games out of the formula then say look how mediocre he was.

Do that for our other running backs. Shoot, I think if you would take out Cam Harris top run of each game, his average might have been in the negatives.

Also, you discount the fact that our oline for the last two years has been abysmal from a run blocking standpoint. Oline Completely overmatched against Bama, and one of his rushes against app stat was a 1 yard td, so that hurts his average.

Point is, Chaney passes the eye test. He has size, speed, vision, tackle breaking ability. I'm sure that's what ppl see.

If he can stay healthy, I also believe he is the most talented back (not including Citizen bc I haven't seen him in CFB)
This is what it ultimately comes down to, there is no one on the roster that at this point in time should prevent him from becoming RB1. Maybe it takes him a couple weeks to get acclimated but the time is now for the kid.

Reading, PA. Flew into that “airport” about 50x. My dad grew up in Schuylkill Haven and my brother is still up there, for god knows what reason.

Craziest **** ever is when you go up that way now and think that, at one time, Pottsville had an NFL team. And they won a championship. These days, that town is probably lucky to support a middle school, let alone an NFL champion. Coal was once king in this country, but there’s just nothing left up there anymore.
Cabelas..

Awesome High School gym too. Watched Kobe play there when I was a Jr. So yeah...not much

Oh and Yuengling

Maybe I’m a cynic, but I don’t get where the Chaney love comes from. Maybe it’s the Belen Cabral; and I hope he proves everyone wrong…but where is everyone getting the hype from?

7 Carries for 23 yards against Bama with a long of 4? Take away a 20 yard rush against App St and he went for 24 yards on 10 Carries in 2021 before getting hurt?

As a freshman…9 for 62 against Duke and 8 for 52 against UAB, sure. How about the Rest of the regular season…

Louisville: 7 for 10
FSU: 7 for 35
Clemson: 1 for 8
Pitt: 5 for 18
UVA: 10 for 43
NC State: 3 for 14
VT: 8 for 35
UNC: 4 for 5

That’s 45 Carries for 168 yards….good for 3.73 ypc. Take out the one carry against Clemson, and now you’re looking at a 3.63 ypc.

I get it - players should improve upon previous seasons, no doubting that. He certainly has some talent, but he hasn’t proven anything to deserve these shoe-in first-team reps y’all are talking about.

He’ll have to earn it just like everyone else. And if he’s third or fourth on the depth chart…just don’t be surprised if he bounces.
I'm not a fan of "taking away" certain carries and certain games.

4.6 ypc overall isn't bad for what we were at OL. The team averaged 4.5 ypc when you take away the sacks.
"Isn't bad" isn't good enough though.

6 carries per game says a lot more about where Chaney was at last year.

Advertisement
Cabelas..

Awesome High School gym too. Watched Kobe play there when I was a Jr. So yeah...not much

Oh and Yuengling

LOL yup, my dad knew the Yuengling girls when he was growing up.

I remember when they opened up Cabela’s, it was the greatest thing that ever happened on earth. People talking about it for months. I was like………y’all got a Bass Pro Shops???? I legit thought it was this never before seen entity the way people were talking it up lol.

Advertisement

Wow!! Schuykill Haven. It’s been years since I’ve been up that way.

I hit my first high school HR vs Pottsville up at their park. I’ve never done a tour of the Yuengling Brewery up there. I need to get in that.

Maybe I’m a cynic, but I don’t get where the Chaney love comes from. Maybe it’s the Belen Cabral; and I hope he proves everyone wrong…but where is everyone getting the hype from?

7 Carries for 23 yards against Bama with a long of 4? Take away a 20 yard rush against App St and he went for 24 yards on 10 Carries in 2021 before getting hurt?

As a freshman…9 for 62 against Duke and 8 for 52 against UAB, sure. How about the Rest of the regular season…

Louisville: 7 for 10
FSU: 7 for 35
Clemson: 1 for 8
Pitt: 5 for 18
UVA: 10 for 43
NC State: 3 for 14
VT: 8 for 35
UNC: 4 for 5

That’s 45 Carries for 168 yards….good for 3.73 ypc. Take out the one carry against Clemson, and now you’re looking at a 3.63 ypc.

I get it - players should improve upon previous seasons, no doubting that. He certainly has some talent, but he hasn’t proven anything to deserve these shoe-in first-team reps y’all are talking about.

He’ll have to earn it just like everyone else. And if he’s third or fourth on the depth chart…just don’t be surprised if he bounces.
He did have a very good performance in the bowl vs OK State. He has a lot to prove. But he's a high caliber athlete who has the capacity to go off. Needs to stay healthy and become reliable.

Advertisement
Back