2023 Chris Johnson Jr

Advertisement
Maybe I’m a cynic, but I don’t get where the Chaney love comes from. Maybe it’s the Belen Cabral; and I hope he proves everyone wrong…but where is everyone getting the hype from?

7 Carries for 23 yards against Bama with a long of 4? Take away a 20 yard rush against App St and he went for 24 yards on 10 Carries in 2021 before getting hurt?

As a freshman…9 for 62 against Duke and 8 for 52 against UAB, sure. How about the Rest of the regular season…

Louisville: 7 for 10
FSU: 7 for 35
Clemson: 1 for 8
Pitt: 5 for 18
UVA: 10 for 43
NC State: 3 for 14
VT: 8 for 35
UNC: 4 for 5

That’s 45 Carries for 168 yards….good for 3.73 ypc. Take out the one carry against Clemson, and now you’re looking at a 3.63 ypc.

I get it - players should improve upon previous seasons, no doubting that. He certainly has some talent, but he hasn’t proven anything to deserve these shoe-in first-team reps y’all are talking about.

He’ll have to earn it just like everyone else. And if he’s third or fourth on the depth chart…just don’t be surprised if he bounces.
You’re not a cynic, you’re a realist. While I don’t agree with taking away a big run from your stats, it does show he’s not that much more consistent than Knighton. And people will say Chaney suffered from a bad Oline but never mention it with Knighton.

I agree that Knighton isn’t a 3 down back, but to say Chaney is, isn’t realistic either. He hasn’t proven anything. It’s all hype, until proven otherwise. Knighton and Parrish have proven it at this level. And Knighton was really good in the passing game as well.

Reading, PA. Flew into that “airport” about 50x. My dad grew up in Schuylkill Haven and my brother is still up there, for god knows what reason.

Craziest **** ever is when you go up that way now and think that, at one time, Pottsville had an NFL team. And they won a championship. These days, that town is probably lucky to support a middle school, let alone an NFL champion. Coal was once king in this country, but there’s just nothing left up there anymore.
Wild to hear this ****. I’m from the skook myself. Everyone can drink & everyone can fight 😂 People just don’t get it until they see it. Different breed of toughness in that area.

Advertisement
Never really understood the “but if you take away XYZ stats” line. Why are we taking them away? Do they not count or something lol? We can pick and play that game with every single athlete in America with their sport.

correct. It's like saying take away all of Barry Sanders' long runs and you get an average player. You gonna remove his short runs too? Makes no sense.

Wild to hear this ****. I’m from the skook myself. Everyone can drink & everyone can fight 😂 People just don’t get it until they see it. Different breed of toughness in that area.

You’re actually from Schuylkill Haven?! Holy ****. Never met a single human being in my life who was actually from there, obviously except when we were in town. Surrounding areas yes but that’s a pretty small town lol. Such a small world. My grandma’s place is the one on top of the hill on Avenue A. And always blew my mind that the mascot for the High School was the Hurricanes even though there’s never been a Hurricane in eastern-central PA.

Crazy.

You’re actually from Schuylkill Haven?! Holy ****. Never met a single human being in my life who was actually from there, obviously except when we were in town. Surrounding areas yes but that’s a pretty small town lol. Such a small world. My grandma’s place is the one on top of the hill on Avenue A. And always blew my mind that the mascot for the High School was the Hurricanes even though there’s never been a Hurricane in eastern-central PA.

Crazy.
I’m from Mcadoo but thats schyukill county lol Idk if you recall but the Canes had the nations leading high school rusher Zack Barkett around 2007. That ******* kid was a monster.

I’m from Mcadoo but thats schyukill county lol Idk if you recall but the Canes had the nations leading high school rusher Zack Barkett around 2007. That ******* kid was a monster.

Ahhh ok, I gotchu. Yes, I remember Zack. Believe he had over 4,000 rushing yards his senior year. I’m gonna go even older school than that though…in the early 90’s, Schuylkill Haven actually won the state championship behind a kid named Jason Killian. He was a freak. Went to Penn State but flamed out, believe he ended at East Stroudsburg. But that kid was INSANE in his. They rode the **** out of him all the way to states. That kid was a celebrity in Schuylkill County when I was a jit lol.

Advertisement
Ahhh ok, I gotchu. Yes, I remember Zack. Believe he had over 4,000 rushing yards his senior year. I’m gonna go even older school than that though…in the early 90’s, Schuylkill Haven actually won the state championship behind a kid named Jason Killian. He was a freak. Went to Penn State but flamed out, believe he ended at East Stroudsburg. But that kid was INSANE in his. They rode the **** out of him all the way to states. That kid was a celebrity in Schuylkill County when I was a jit lol.
That’s before my time but man is that funny to talk to someone familiar with this area. I actually live in Hazleton now but basically it’s all one big **** hole 😂 If we get one D1 kid from this area it’s a major major thing.

Facts.

Athens = natty opportunity and good college town

Tuscaloosa = natty opportunity, Saban factory

Oxford = Lane Kiffin with one foot out door (ironically, with oxfords on)

Maybe I’m a cynic, but I don’t get where the Chaney love comes from. Maybe it’s the Belen Cabral; and I hope he proves everyone wrong…but where is everyone getting the hype from?

7 Carries for 23 yards against Bama with a long of 4? Take away a 20 yard rush against App St and he went for 24 yards on 10 Carries in 2021 before getting hurt?

As a freshman…9 for 62 against Duke and 8 for 52 against UAB, sure. How about the Rest of the regular season…

Louisville: 7 for 10
FSU: 7 for 35
Clemson: 1 for 8
Pitt: 5 for 18
UVA: 10 for 43
NC State: 3 for 14
VT: 8 for 35
UNC: 4 for 5

That’s 45 Carries for 168 yards….good for 3.73 ypc. Take out the one carry against Clemson, and now you’re looking at a 3.63 ypc.

I get it - players should improve upon previous seasons, no doubting that. He certainly has some talent, but he hasn’t proven anything to deserve these shoe-in first-team reps y’all are talking about.

He’ll have to earn it just like everyone else. And if he’s third or fourth on the depth chart…just don’t be surprised if he bounces.
Less to do about what he didn't do and more about how he was used and how we ran run plays.

It won't take too long watching film (or looking at game threads) to realize that we had limited boundary runs and mostly ran into the meat of a line that wasn't good at run blocking and ran the same 5-6 interior run calls over Lashlee's two year tenure.

We also were a heavy pass first/QB run team, so we normally wanted a best blocking back in the game, Chaney's primary deficiency.

On top of that 2020 Cam was forced fed the ball good or bad, Knighton was the 3rd down back and they really only used Chaney in short and distance.

His best game that highlighted what he is was versus a very good Ok St team.
Of his 6 runs he had runs of 9, 10, 27, and receptions of 16 and 27.
His short runs were failures in blocking.

2021 is a wash to be frank because of the injury, but if we really want to talk about two games, vs Bama nobody ran for ****. Cam was even worse than Chaney at 3.1. Probably because of the above and because its Bama.

Against App St his first run was a 2 run TD (shirt distance)
Second run went 20
Third was an Oline breakdown with a tackle in the backfield
Fourth he got injured.

Advertisement
I agree Chaney will have to compete and first team shouldn't be given, and Mario won't.

However, your formula to analyze Chaney is very one sided and manipulative. You can't just take a players best run, or his two best games out of the formula then say look how mediocre he was.

Do that for our other running backs. Shoot, I think if you would take out Cam Harris top run of each game, his average might have been in the negatives.

Also, you discount the fact that our oline for the last two years has been abysmal from a run blocking standpoint. Oline Completely overmatched against Bama, and one of his rushes against app stat was a 1 yard td, so that hurts his average.

Point is, Chaney passes the eye test. He has size, speed, vision, tackle breaking ability. I'm sure that's what ppl see.

If he can stay healthy, I also believe he is the most talented back (not including Citizen bc I haven't seen him in CFB)
Fair points. We all agree that Chaney must compete and the best player should start. No favorites.

With that said, the OP’s main point still stands. Chaney hasn’t done much when the band is playing to warrant such effusive praise. Parrish has done more at Ole Miss than Chaney at Miami And nobody is crowning Parrish the starter. Yet, Chaney is considered the “best” RB by many on this board. Based on what? Practice? Potential? Measurables?

There are countless athletes who have shown “potential” on Greentree and have never lived up to the hype. Hopefully, Chaney doesn’t join that list.

Advertisement
So what's happening with Chris Johnson recruitment? Sorry to derail the derailment.
Status - unknown due to the fact that the locals dont know how to handle Mario, NIL and the new, legit Miami coaching staff. Prior to Mario, this kid would have already signed with someone in the SEC after being offered a pre-nil deal. Now, the opportunities are problably better at Miami than elsewhere unless your a top 10 elite kid. In that case, you put your self in a position to be a first rounder in the NFL whereever that takes you. Chris will do just fine here. Mario and his staff will maximize his talents. Heck, we already have Jaylan and Mario brought in Parish, both which have a similar size and and style. Chris would be replacing them in our system... He would excell here. He is considering Ol Miss, but Kiffin is a loose cannon and who knows where he will be at the end of the year or next. Most likely on to a new job as 2 to 3 year is the max for him anywhere! Take a look. The choice is simple in my mind, but the old way of thinking is hard to change.

I agree Chaney will have to compete and first team shouldn't be given, and Mario won't.

However, your formula to analyze Chaney is very one sided and manipulative. You can't just take a players best run, or his two best games out of the formula then say look how mediocre he was.

Do that for our other running backs. Shoot, I think if you would take out Cam Harris top run of each game, his average might have been in the negatives.

Also, you discount the fact that our oline for the last two years has been abysmal from a run blocking standpoint. Oline Completely overmatched against Bama, and one of his rushes against app stat was a 1 yard td, so that hurts his average.

Point is, Chaney passes the eye test. He has size, speed, vision, tackle breaking ability. I'm sure that's what ppl see.

If he can stay healthy, I also believe he is the most talented back (not including Citizen bc I haven't seen him in CFB)
I should have clarified that I took his carry out vs. Clemson oubecause it came in garbage time late 4th Q against the third team. I’ll retract the App St one, but again the level of competition is average.

My point wasn’t to push Chaney out or anything, but just exhibit those numbers don’t merit immediate first-team reps.

Our offensive line will undoubtedly improve, maybe even significantly; and yes, Chaney should find more success if given the opportunity…but that can be said for all our returning backs.

Advertisement
Back